Agnostic.com

7 5

QUESTION Resources | American English

I am encountering an increasing number of international students in the American University system. A number of them, atheists and agnostics. For these folks, the problems of language and culture are compounded by the Deep South religiosity millieu.

I am including a link that I found might be helpful to international students generally. I was wondering if there were any additional resources that may help those atheist and agnostic international students who 1) don't know the culture and are learning the language and 2) don't have the benefit of a church to fall back on for social and emotional support.

surrealhoax 7 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My first time at college, I requested a room in one of the international dorms. US students were paired with an international roommate. Not all of the people from the US wanted to live in those two dorms, there weren't enough international students to go around, and we had some definite major cultural faux pas on all our parts. However, it was a great way for a Midwestern farm girl to meet people from big US cities, and all around the world. I loved it, and am still in touch with four friends.

I wonder if people involved with the Secular Student Alliance might be interested in spending some time with an international student, one-on-one? Kind of like Big Brothers/Big Sisters, but for adults? I'd be willing, but I don't have a car, and I'm just a wee bit out of the usual college student age range. [secularstudents.org]

I had not thought to contact this group. That will be who I refer them too first, next time. Thank you!

@surrealhoax You're welcome!

Never even thought about this. Good for you for recognizing it as something that needs attention.

Have them volunteer at homeless shelters and or community centers. This approach will give them a true understanding of the many dialects and idioms that everyday americans come across and deal with subconsciously. It will also give them a support system and show how the "american" social services systems work or not work. If nothing else they could get credit for community service.

I never thought about it, but I bet that most do have to go to religious groups, especially in this time of anti-foreign policy...

I don't know of any resources, but why limit it to international students? Is there something specific about American culture that you think would be confusing to foreign students? I'd suggest building your own website with the ideas you have, but I don't think I'd focus solely on international students (because the same resources might easily apply to domestic students and non-students as well), though you could market to international students in your advertising and promotions.

So far, the use of idioms in common discussion has been confusing to most students who speak English as a second language.

Most international students keep to themselves, avoiding interaction with people outside of their own nationality. As far as agnostics, the feeling of loneliness can play a role in joining a church or feeling a need to join a group, which is where love-bombing cult groups come in. I was wondering if anyone had dealt with this.

@surrealhoax I haven't seen this...we had pretty vibrant exchange students when I was in high school. And they used to embarrass the crap out of us in their scholastic ability. And we were a bunch of smarty pants-es or, so we thought. We did sway one kid to the darkside, though...score one for the USA...haha
and your agnostic theory is kinda crap....people who claim agnostic, generally see those that don't as people of faith....we just have no faith, which makes us very unlikely cult members....cult creators maybe....hehe...you see, it is easy to divert someones natural tendencies, then to create them...so if you are a fanatical catholic, it is easier to dishearten them in their catholicism and make them fanatical atheists, or what have you...it's one of those manipulation 101 things...

That is very nice of you. Not sure how many students would need it, though. They come here fully prepared to deal with the SOuthern craziness.

I don't think most Northerners know what to expect in a southern school. Talking to students from China (majority agnostic or atheist), they are confused by how to deal with all the people trying to convert them on college campuses.

I just don't have the motivation to support this idea.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37745
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.