Agnostic.com

29 8

How do you motivate yourself to exercise?

Regular exercise is a lifelong habit. Hiking is my passion. Running feels like flying. Weightlifting builds strength. Love the rowing machine.

Exercise increases endorphins that make you feel happy. Endorphins are my drug of choice.

When I don't feel like weightlifting, I mentally seize myself by the collar and march myself to the gym. "I'll just do a light workout," I bargain. Once started, I do the full routine.

This morning, I tricked myself. Showered and dressed in weightlifting clothes: leggings and a moisture-wicking T-shirt.

Every time I looked down, it reminded me to exercise.

Puttered around the house. Light lunch. Drank 1/2 cup of coffee for energy. Left for the gym.

Lifted weights, did abdominal exercises and stretched for 90 minutes. Success.

LiterateHiker 9 July 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

29 comments (26 - 29)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It ain't easy.

I do what I can for now until I heal my back

bobwjr Level 10 July 22, 2019

Good luck on that..,as back problems changes everything!

@Freedompath I have a good pain management doctor no opioid use cortisone injection

@bobwjr opioids useless with nerve problems from our backs. I have been experimenting with one (200mg), Ibuprofen in the morning and one Aleve (200mg) at night. In the past I was under the impression that more was better and I have found a fair amount of relief doing this! Which I cannot understand, why it would work? I will ask next Dr visit! Maybe it is the placebo effect! Lol

@Freedompath anti-inflammatory drugs work I use ibuprofen 400mg 3-4 times a day am a retired P.A.used these when they first came out the OTC doseages are 1/2 prescription dose reducing inflammation reduces the pain pm me for more

Regarding back pain, especially in the long term. Barbell Medicine has a lot of evidence based great information on back pain and exercise. They are 2 medical doctors who are also powerlifting coaches, and they work with some other fantastic folks that specialize in pain science

@bobwjr I took 400 or even 600mg two or three times a day and what I am finding is that the this one table @ibuprofen and Naproxen (Aleve) work just as well, as all the other larger doses. But I have only been doing this a little over 2 weeks...so I will see what it looks like over the long haul!

@Freedompath everyone is different so what works for you is the best way to go

@uuberdude I too was in an auto accident, so I have ruptured disc in neck and lower back. Plus I need both shoulder joint replacements, because I ruined my rotor cuff repairs! But, other than my middle back problem which goes down my right leg (I am pain free). An operation to remove arthritis at the bottom of my spine, gave me 2 yrs of my normal abilities and then my back went out from higher up! Physical therapy has helped greatly, but it is not perfect and pain is worse at some times! I do keep walking and I do a fair amount of heavy lifting as I can lift things below the waist! What I found to be very helpful, is the dry sauna. They have one here at a fitness center. Good luck with pain relief...

@bobwjr The best pain management natural medicine is Cannabis, at your age it has less side effect than Opioids and other chemical drugs, it is also good for sugar and weight loss.

[coursera.org]

@NR92 already use have a medical marijuana license but other than CBD can't use and drive

@NR92, @Freedompath what ever you do don't let someone fuse vertebra domino effect spine surgeon inserts a spring device to take the place of discs orthopedic spine surgeon my pain management doctor is board certified anesthesiologist and pain management uses specific cortisone injection in facets and epidural that works very well and causes gradual improvement but real improvement

@bobwjr yes..,be very thoughtful about all back treatments, I was lucky (I had top Neurosurgeons to do my operation) but I do not plan on any more surgeries...I will find another way!

@Freedompath I moonlighted with a orthopedic surgeon who did his fellowship at Johns Hopkins hospital he saw 20+ back wrecks a day from neurosurgeon shaving discs and orthopedic surgeon fusing vertebra I worked as a surgical P.A. For 4 years saw the same they were top guys and said the most relief was 5 years before cascade effect happened

@uuberdude yes, I must rest in between everything! Lol funny about ice...if I use ice or I get really cold otherwise, my whole body will hurt like a toothache! This is the reason, that every spring, I am mostly disabled, because the winter cold takes it’s toll on me!

@NR92 I try and stick to treatments that work on nerve endings, even though I know that our pain center comes out of the brain! I would never take any cannabis, as it works on the brain! I take very little of anything, because I need my brain free and clear of stimulants of any kind.

@Freedompath CBD oil has no thc so no psycho active effects the cortisone shot reduces inflammation that causes pain I have measurable improvement from the injections was almost done when auto accident happened setting my progress back

@bobwjr yes...I would guess 8 out of 10 people that I have come across have not gotten the results from back operations that they wanted. I felt better than I had felt in 20 yrs and I guess what I had done (no repair work) is still holding up...but I want take another chance on another area...I am a low ‘chance,’ taker anyway, lol

@bobwjr I have had those shots and they helped! But, other than a little ibuprofen, I will find foods that help and keep moving...the moving is key for my pain it seems!

@Freedompath good luck honey

@bobwjr Same your way...I feel for anyone in pain, because it takes over our attention and our quality of life goes to hell!

@uuberdude have it all medical marijuana license

@uuberdude has worked well for me long history of injury

@uuberdude I have never in my 79 years injested cannabis and I want be starting now...drugs of all kinds are not my idea of a healthy brain and my brain must support me for a life time! Actually, I take no meds at all except that ibuprofen and naproxen. I have seen and made note of too much!

I don't because I don't. XD I think I would need an external motivator like someone being on my case to join them for a class/session we signed up for or a health condition that was killing me. My internal motivations come for intellectual or humanistic pursuits, not so much physical excercise. 😳

I'm like Sgt_Spanky. Gyms, running, swimming laps - just not for me. I like punching stuff, preferably stuff that punches back. Plus, my Muay Thai class is upstairs from a pub, so I reward myself with a point afterwards.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377559
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.