Agnostic.com

52 1

Did you believe in ghosts ?

james301 3 July 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

52 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yawn.

Jnei Level 8 July 22, 2019

Yes, why not. I certainly recognise that unexplained phenomena exist. I guess ghost has different connotations for different people. Spirits of dead people, maybe. Electromagnetic phenomena, certainly. Visitations from gods, not likely.

My thoughts too. I do know credible people with abilities. Human spirit maybe? No way that I believe in any Divine spirit!

Sure. I have been ghosted on this site. 🙂

I neither believe nor disbelieve, but my mind is open. If ghosts exist they are not magical or supernatural but simply not understood.

I was told of a ghost experience by credible people, and there is corroborating evidence. There are things about nature that are not understood—hell, nothing is truly understood on a deep level.

Why this question posted under love and relationships? Wait....did you just recently see the movie Ghost? 😛

No. No god=no afterlife=no souls=no ghosts. Simple, really.

Well what is the cat staring at at 2 am? Probably some spectrum of light we can't see.....

@RavenCT or a dust mote... or a spider... or maybe they are contemplating the ceiling texture "Who the hell still has a popcorn ceiling in 2019???"

I am an Atheist because no evidence for a god or gods exist.…but I have seen things twice so far in my lifetime, and being the level headed person I am, I certainly did not imagine (let me refer to as “it&rdquo😉 “it”even after “it” suddenly disappeared. Maybe consciousness exists outside of our body? I would not dismiss other possibilities where there is no scientific explanation YET – not yet proven! Maybe there are energies that ‘spring-up” in certain areas only and scientists cannot put their finger on it YET?. Atheism is afterall flexible whereas belief in religion is not so “these whatevers”, that “spring-up” do not need to be spiritual or godly, we just do not have a
term for it YET.

No, but I do believe in spirits, I am in regular communication with Jack Daniels and Johny Walker.

( And if you think that is just a joke, then I have to point out that these things share the same name, because these primitive beliefs go back so far into the past, that they really do come from a time when people believed that the intoxicating properties of wine and alcohol were supernatural in origin.) Ditto 'Essence', as in perfume, saints dead bodies smelled sweet because they were pure, it was thought.

Thanks for your patronage of American products. 🙂

@WilliamFleming Johnny Walker (who, somewhat surprisingly, was a teetotaler, and a Scot) will almost certainly come back from the dead and haunt you for that.

@Jnei Oops, goes to show that I don’t know much about liquors. Thanks for your correction.

@WilliamFleming If you appreciate Johnny Walker, you're on the right tracks - it's by far the best of the blends. I recommend you sample a good single malt Scotch, though. And if you want to buy a 40-year-old Lagavuilin or Laphroaig, I'd be very happy to sample it with you and guide you along the way. 🙂

@Jnei uh, you are rather a long way off for that. What makes you want to live so far away, off beyond the waters?

@WilliamFleming It's closer to where the scotch comes from!

Some things are currently unexplained

bobwjr Level 10 July 22, 2019

If they cannot show me the winning PowerBall numbers, leave me the hell alone!

The term "believe in" has been almost completely scrubbed from my working vocabulary. Any time I catch myself saying that "I believe so and so," I stop and try to rephrase (and rethink) what I'm trying to say. My one exception is when I say, I believe I'd like to have a nice cold beer.

mischl Level 8 July 22, 2019

Y'all know this guy was a scammer and has already been removed, right?

nope didnt know. doesnt mean we can't have a discussion about the topic though.

I’m really curious as to why this question was posted under love and relationships. Was he looking to date a ghost?

@Leeshi I think it was Patrick Swayze trying to warn us from the other side. If he'd have asked about Molly...

so you're saying he's a ghost?

@Dougl35534 Technically speaking... a mere ghost of a memory.

@Leeshi He was looking to get enough points to move freely about the site.

Sometimes the questions are even a bit nonsensical which helps to point out that they are scammers.

This one stated what his full name was - which didn't match his photo on LinkedIn. Oops. 😀

@altschmerz Particularly if they're attached to a pretty picture!

I believe there are many things not yet explained some of which are sometimes defined as ghosts.

To me that does not require any supernatural belief. There are alot of real things we don't understand or even know about.

MsAl Level 8 July 22, 2019

“Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there!
He wasn't there again today,
Oh how I wish he'd go away!”

Antigonish by William Hughes Mearns

If I "believed" in ghosts, that would make me a Spiritualist, which would then be another kind of religion.

I didn't, I don't and I won't

Nope, never did. Ghosts were always my brothers up to no good.

Do they believe in me?

1of5 Level 8 July 22, 2019

Imagination can be a wonderful and useful tool it can also be used to conjure up nonsense to fill the gap in our understanding of the world. During the Spanish Inquisition people were labelled witches and that 'justified' brutal torture and the agonizing death of being burned alive. A belief in witchcraft was promoted by the Catholic Church in a reign of terror whose chief goal was social control.

Bertrand Russell said: "history is replete with men and women who have gone to their deaths for their beliefs. There is nothing new in this and it will continue into the foreseeable future. Personally, I would never die for my beliefs because after all, I could be wrong."

Doubtless, many beliefs are held for which there is not the slightest degree not even an iota of evidence.

No, because I've never seen one in person! I believe in extraterrestrials because I've seen them drive by twice! You know, 1st hand eyewitness, evidence type thing! Havent seen a ghost or an angel or a demon or felt Jesus help me when my girlfriend committed suicide! So, no! 👽

I haven’t seen any good reason to believe in ghosts yet.

Do you believe in ghosts...? [soundcloud.com]

Jnei Level 8 July 22, 2019

Not only no but fuck no.

I don't believe in ghosts or anything supernatural

Only CASPER. All the rest are nonsense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:377604
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.