Agnostic.com

8 6

LINK McConnell blocks two election security bills | TheHill

As long as they're cheating to help his side, it's okay!

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) blocked two election security measures on Thursday, arguing Democrats are trying to give themselves a "political benefit."

The move comes a day after former special counsel Robert Mueller warned about election meddling in 2020, saying Russia was laying the groundwork to interfere in the 2020 election "as we sit here."

Senate Minority Leader Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) had tried to get consent Thursday to pass a House bill that requires the use of paper ballots and includes funding for the Election Assistance Commission. It passed the House 225-184 with one Republican voting for it.

But McConnell objected, saying Schumer was trying to pass “partisan legislation.”

“Clearly this request is not a serious effort to make a law. Clearly something so partisan that it only received one single solitary Republican vote in the House is not going to travel through the Senate by unanimous consent,” McConnell said.

Under the Senate’s rules any one senator can request consent to pass a bill, but any one senator can object.

Schumer argued that if McConnell didn’t like that bill “let’s put another bill on the floor and debate it.”

Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) also asked for consent to pass legislation that would require candidates, campaign officials and their family members to notify the FBI of assistance offers from foreign governments.

McConnell also objected to that bill.

In his testimony before Congress on Wednesday, Mueller warned about continued Russian interference in U.S. elections.

“We are expecting them to do it again during the next campaign,” Mueller said.

Schumer cited Mueller’s testimony on Thursday as a prime example that more legislation is needed from Congress.

“It was important for all us to hear straight from Robert Mueller's mouth that the threat from Russia and other foreign adversaries seeking to meddle in our elections is very real and still very much ongoing,” Schumer said.

“Mueller's testimony was a clarion call for election security. Mueller's testimony should be a wake-up call to every American, Democrat, Republican, liberal, conservative, that the integrity of our elections is at stake. … This is all about the future of this country,” he added.

jerry99 8 July 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Looking over the record for the senate - with the expection of the bill to pay for 911 responders fund and one military bill - they have mostly voted on nominations for judges, ambassadors, and appointments to federal departments with the additional exception of four treaties concerning taxes with Luxemburg, Spain, Japan, and Switzerland - for the past month.

The 911 bill was forced by Jon Stewart testifying in front of congress.The testimony made national news. Until then that bill was going to be shot down.

Did the 9/11 vote ever go through? Last I knew, Rand Paul (the festering fuck) was blocking it still.

@freeofgod I know! He was fabulously brutal!

@Paul4747 I recall seeing a short blurb on the news a while back. that is my main criticism of MSNBC talking heads - they spend so much time running after what ever bone T-man has waved in their face they mostly ignore everything else.... grr.

@Paul4747 It went. Not permanent but it's back in effect.

A long game is in play here. More election security means it would be harder for Trump to cry "Rigged Election!" if/when he loses next year.

And there's a propaganda motive as well. To stick with the narrative that there was no Russian interference in 2016, they have to pretend there's no danger of more interference in 2020.

I’d never realized how ugly the face of evil actually is..

Varn Level 8 July 25, 2019

Fucking asshole! I wish someone would step up and get rid of this prick!!

Clearly the entire Republican Party is now expecting help from Russia....

not since Scoop Jackson(Senator from Boeing)has the Democrats been the Russia hawks in the room...

@seattlepanda Might have something to do with Russia deciding to help get Republicans elected.

The ONLY way they stay in power is thru, lying cheating and stealing elections!

@seattlepanda omg, haven't heard that name in a long time.

@jerry99 ...I think Republicans was incidental...they got a hold on our Fearless Leader...whatever party his handlers decided to support, that's where they went...

Turtle has a Russian business coming to KY. Bitch is bought and paid for. To the tune of 5 mil. He is in it up to his eyeballs. Loves him some Russians.

McConnell is a much larger problem than Drumpf. Senators have no term limits. And the bastard is politically well connected and savvy. He and his foreign born wife will be in politics long after the orange turd is gone 😟
But let's not allow immigrants. (Never mind that tRump and turtle imported theirs). Putting poor immigrants in jails! Such a low life bastard. I'm beginning to hate McConnell even more than tRump if that's possible.

The remark about immigrants is meant as sarcasm. Ironic that the two worst bigots married immigrants.

I genuinely hope you're wrong 😟

@oldFloyd So do I. So do I. smh

@freeofgod unfortunately, there is a lot of truth in what you say. The best way to deal is to vote him out of office. Second best way? Wrest control of the Senate away from the Republicans.

I still fail to see why anybody finds anything McConnell does surprising. 🤔 he's only in it for himself and his buddies and he's going to be dead soon so why should he give a f***.🤬

Not soon enough.

Do you have a plan 😉

@freeofgod Not really but looking at history I think Billy Joel hit on a very good point. About only the Good.

I'm wondering who is the bigger traitor mccornhole or trump.

I love multiple choice, C all the above 😁

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:379155
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.