Agnostic.com

31 4

Atheism and psychedelics

Many people who use psychedelics say that it caused them to believe in god, or strengthened their belief. If you are someone who uses psychedelics, do you think it strengthened your lack of belief? Did/does it help you in any way? Spiritual experiences? Spiritual, in a non-religious way... More like a feeling of connectedness, centeredness, and renewed appreciate for the cosmos and all within it?

Just a random thought. Only answer if you don't disagree with psychedelic use, please.

RaeBxtchens 5 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

31 comments (26 - 31)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not sure about psychedelics but this does bring to mind a study that explored near death experience. Some found god, others lost god.

Long time ago my experiences with psycadelics was always good, never overwhelming. Mushrooms are best but a few times people got something that made them ill. I always had a contentment hangover after eating mushrooms.

I may have been taken psycadelics a couple of dozen times, forty years ago.

I’ve eaten a lot of acid, I’d say probably between 1 and 2 sheets. I abruptly stopped taking it when I was 18 or 19 because I didn’t need it anymore. I used it to better “see reality”, and I just no longer need it. With that said, I still wouldn’t mind tripping now, over 20 years later. Maybe the next time I’m in Cali we can trip. At least some of us 😉

I think most persons who go that road do so wanting to experience a feeling of release and to connect with something other than the Sunday Service. Native Indians had a beautiful way of life and understanding thier existence which for the most part was totally in balance and harmony with Mother Earth, and Nature. Even the Ancients Greeks and had a more plausible explaination of life than what we are told 'to believe'. They were also advanced in Mathematics and other sciences which are still in existence today. What drugs did they take? I'm sure they had some and that the natural ones are still available because they are natural.

Can't say I've ever had any kind of "spiritual" experience while using psychedelics.
Everyone is different, but I can't imagine anyone having any experience that would make them become more or less anything, simply from taking acid (or anything else).
It might amplify whatever issues one may already be (or have been) having, but I kind of doubt it would create an issue if one didn't already exist.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:37916
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.