Agnostic.com

9 1

How do you feel about Zeke Emanuel's view that after 75 serious medical treatment is a waste of the planet's resources, since a person's usefulness is waning.

43teach 5 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Might help if you looked at what he actually said.
A. He was first and foremost talking about refusing these treatments for himself. Emanuel said he plans to refuse life-prolonging and preventive care starting in 2032 because "this manic desperation to endlessly extend life is misguided and potentially destructive." People become less creative as they age, he wrote. A deadline of 75 years "forces each of us to ask whether our consumption is worth our contribution."
B. He is an oncologist and a surprising number of them refuse chemotherapy for themselves, than know the personal cost too damn well.
C. Sarah Palin once called him "Orwellian" for an op-ed in which he noted that many medical professionals support the idea of providing care to younger rather than older patients when resources are very scarce. - Well sorry I agree with them on that.
D. Life expectancy should not be used as a measure for the quality of health care once a country's average age has exceeded 75 years, he wrote. And biomedical research should be focused more on "Alzheimer's, the growing disabilities of old age, and chronic conditions — not on prolonging the dying process," he wrote.

Also look at the fact that the guy is desparately trying to get the Republicans to retain some form of universal health care. My bigger beef with him is he is anti euthanasia.

Kimba Level 7 Mar 16, 2018

That puts things in an entirely different perspective.

I don't remember if this was the author of an editorial in the "Atlantic". I agree and my postings on Death with Dignity confirm this. We seem to refuse to understand the resource course of some of our actions.

@JackPedigo It isn't just the resources, it's the suffering. I've seen people carved up, irradiated, given chemotherapy then carved up some more who got to live 12 months in agony because they were continually being treated when left alone the may have had 3 goods months. I've known people who have outright refused further treatment and as next of kin I had to give my consent. I have seen patients who were never going to regain consciousness wheeled in for radiotherapy. And I've seen a lovely lady totally incapacitated on a PEG for years after a severe stroke and her family saying we think she sometimes recognises us and all I could think was that for her sake, I really hope you are wrong.

@Kimba Hmm, seems like I remember Sara Palin talking about the "Death Squads" that the affordable health care program would establish. Maybe that would have been a step in the right direction.

@JackPedigo As long as the criteria is the patient has had enough or is past knowing don't have a problem with that, known too many people who begged for it, there are things way worse than dying and I've seen some of them.

@Kimba I think the thought of that is what makes people want to know about this issue.

He sounds like an inhuman piece of shit. We don't live in a society where we need to ration resources to that extent.

JimG Level 8 Mar 16, 2018

The reality may apply to one round of serious medical treatment. If war breaks out, we find the money to fund it, if aliens attacked or a deadly asteroid was approaching, we would find all the money needed, successful or not.Money is an illusion, the reality is whether people/society wish to share wealth or keep it. Can we stop kids from starving overseas? Of course we can, but we won't.

Well from a purely practicul point of yiew thats true as soon as you retire and stop putting into the system.

When a person has contributed a lifetime of producive work and citizenship, he or she has earned comfortable waing years. I do not believe that dramatic effort should be made to sustain life with no quality. But, as a man of age 81, I have medical conditions which must be managed, but which still allow me to enjoy life if I take care of myself. I have earned that.

Agreed

I am reminded of the Star Trek NG episode with David Ogden Stiers (Aka, Charles Emerson Winchester the 3rd) about a society that has a mandatory death age.

Don't know who he is but sounds Nazi-like.

As a nurse I find it absolutely ridiculous. I have patients in their 70's living a healthier more productive live than people in their 30's. I think it's dangerous and moronic to start viewing the worth of someone's life based on their worth to you.

yeah, who decides that worth?

Let's ask Zeke that question when he is 74 and 364 days old?

yes and I was wondering how old he is now?

@btroje I am guessing maybe near 24. That is about the pinnacle of human arrogance.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38160
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.