Agnostic.com

45 17

What traits make a good boss? Have you ever had one?

The best boss I ever had was one that encouraged me to continue my education. He was more of a listener than a talker -- and he seemed to always have the backs of his team. (Especially when it came to higher ups).

In my opinion he was a little too soft... sometimes letting bad behaviors from people continue. But, overall still an admirable man.

He defined leadership as "inspiring others." Which, I fully agree with.

I've worked for many other people that confused leadership with dictatorship.

You?

silvereyes 8 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

45 comments (26 - 45)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Competency & a penchant for mentoring.

My attitude has always been to have fun no matter what you are doing. And my work ethic has always been make them wonder how they ever got along without you. So although I may have had some bad bosses, I didn't notice. And finally become self employed.

First of all, YES, I have had a great boss once. I've had two other good bosses as well. I believe that it involves mutual trust and respect. The idea has to be that each member of the team is there for the value they bring and ego needs to be left at home.

Obviously, isn't a racist, sexist, mysogynist, homophone, religious nut, creeper, etc...
Pays their employees as well as they can
Has a clue what's going on with regard to operations and--within appropriate professional boundaries--their employees.
Works alongside their employees--isn't above jumping in to offer legitimate help (hands-on, non-micro-managey HELP) and is generally able to recognize when it's needed (doesn't have to be buzzed or asked every single GD time)
Has an accepting, compassionate view of neurological/mental disability, mental illness, and invisible conditions in particular (because being an A-hole about visible conditions is almost always frowned upon but not so with invisible conditions) and is willing to accommodate those in need without judgment, retaliation, or minimizing.
Takes complaints about sexual harassment (and other forms) seriously
Takes safety of employees, their families, and customers seriously
Puts their money where their mouth is--doesn't try to pass off pathetic wages as decent ("well, we usually start people at $7.25 but we're willing to start you at $7.45 because of your experience!" ) and doesn't avoid giving raises or reviews that would lead to raises
Doesn't micro-manage or nit-pick
Doesn't pick favorites in stupid situations--ex: lets one person go out for unlimited smoke breaks but writes another one up for taking non-scheduled breaks
Doesn't hire, promote, or award special privileges to people just because they're "hot" (and they don't ever SAY this, but people know when it's going on because there's always a pattern)
Knows how to choose battles and what to raise a fuss about, knows when to stfu and let something go

I've had many asshole bosses, the good ones were few and far between. I agree SilverEyes with the statement "more of a listener than a talker". This is something a lot of bosses don't do. They think their ideas should be carried out because they "know best" and we, their subordinates, should be "team players". There is a book by the Arbinger Institute, "Leadership And Self-Deception". I follow them on FB. They have posted a few examples of management gone awry and with help from The Arbinger Institute gotten back to a more harmonious work environment.

Had to think a minute because my first answer was "never had one" but I did. Many years ago when minimum wage was less than $3, I worked for an independent which means I was being paid less than industry standard yet I stayed. Why?

Because I had a preemie with health problems and whenever he had an issue she would say "bye, call me when you want back on the schedule" and my position was safe.
Because schedules were rearranged to accomodate family issues no matter what our seniority was and although this impacted all of us, nobody got upset because she really was that great to work for.

She had no problem saying good job to people.

Unsalable product was given to employees rather than discarded but she started with the least paid and worked up to the rest.

Now however we have the best perks going to the highest paid. The lowest paid are expected to bring coffee, buy lunch or provide gifts to the highest paid in order to get a few more hours on the schedule.

Nobody hears good job anymore. No matter how good of a job you are doing there is always something to critique. I'm serious, I heard a district manager say that in responce to an employee being called "the best"

I hate retail but Ive taken this shit for 40 years to ensure my children never would.

Not micro managing.

Every corporate boss in the modern day have taken a leadership matrix test, imagine a box with 4 squares on a numbered graph field. The manager or boss takes a test that places him on the grid, the center being a completely balanced boss, farther out more "radical" in his personality and methods. Square 1 is "judgemental", constantly reviewing and critiquing employees. Square 2 is "Type A" classic boss, always there, always with input, little patience. Square 3 is the salesman, he's gonna sell you on his idea of achieving the goals, try to make it your idea. Square 4 in the helper, this person is going to use his power to empower you, not necessarily hands-on, but not really critical-ie. it's on you. I was Type "A" on the line near salesman and near the center. The matrix called it just right. Truth is, the closer to the center, the better the manager no matter the square you were in, they all work. The farther to the edges the more problems controlling the situation.

I've only worked for a few people. The best, was being honorable. I worked in deconstruction for a while, tearing down houses, funnest job I ever had, working for someone else, anyways. Our employer was a friend of ours, who would tell us what he needed done, and when he needed it done, and would do it with us. We were all gutter punks. And we could tear down a house and loot it in about 2 days, 7 of us (with several gallons of whiskey during the job, and several kegs when the job was done). Those were the days. The worst boss: the rest of them. Bosses that blame you for mistakes they make. Bosses that get drunk and come on to their employees and then get busted for drinking and driving a bazillion times until a judge takes the liquor license from their 7-11...haha

I have had a couple good bosses and one really horrible one. The good ones encourage you to do your best work and recognize you in small ways (I rairly like the spotlight) when work is well done. One of the best days was when my boss began giving me her projects to review before they were submitted and took my corrections seriously. I miss working for her.

True honor. So far, not had a boss that has.

My best bosses were clear on my job parameters, then left me to myself, said words of praise when appropriate. Micromanaging bosses usually inspired me to change jobs.

I've had my share of bad bosses.
When I was in charge, both in the Army and out, I never asked/told anyone to do a job I wouldn't do. I had their backs when it came to higher ups and never passed the $hit down hill unless I needed to. In short I cared about them, sometimes it felt like I was the only one to do so.

The default boss style is McGregor's "Theory X"...you can look it up, I'm not going to describe it. It is a demeoning style. The management style that utilies the psychology needs of the worker to motivate is McGreggor's "Theory Y". I am now retired and only had one good boss...he would have never heard of McGregor's management styles...way before that time. Nevertheless, the boss I referred to was a gentleman.

A good boss has a real and posiive vision of what he and his organization want to accomplish and recognizes that people are absolutely essential to attainment of that vision. He or she encourages his employees, treats them with dignity and respect, gives them opportunities to grow, and recognizes and rewards them when they succeed.

At the same time, he or she seeks excellence in the performance of individuals and in theentire organization. He corrects people caringly when they are not meeting standards or going in the wrong direction, and points them in the drection of more effecive action. He or she celebrates personal and organizational victories. He or she tries to get "the big picture" and encourages others to do the same. He or she wants effective planning to attain organizational goals, but also encourages nimble action when new opportunities arise.

I have had some good bosses, but never a great one. Read IN SEARCH OF EXCELLENCE.

One who knows his job and isn't afraid to work along side anyone. Synergism is the key to success in any job and the more heads the better the results are going to be. To let yourself get pushed into a job thats over their heads or that no one else wants. If all you get is negative appreciation or get put into the burn out then get out.

I've had 4 managers/bosses before. They all are bosses, not leaders. 3 got demoted, and now my current one is okay. For now.

I had a good boss the inspired me but so were my parents.

As long as he knew when the cut people loose, sounds like he was a good boss

Many of the same traits that make a good parent make a good boss. Boundaries with consequences for crossing them and, a positive, morale-boosting approach to employees can go a long way.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38170
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.