Agnostic.com

1 0

Keeping it simple?

I’ve mentioned my parents on here a few times, saying they were Atheist, because they passed away, not that they “found religion” but I feel silly/redundant/asking for sympathy, saying it every time. But they aren’t Atheist any more because they aren’t anything anymore. So saying my parents are Atheist is also incorrect. So how would you say it?
BTW, they both lived long full lives, so I’m really not looking for sympathy.

LauraUU 6 Mar 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sensible answer is that they were atheists, simple as that.

Not so sensible is that there may be an after life, which may have surprised them, and they've met god and don't like him so are still atheists, there's no real way of knowing to use the present tense.

Hating god doesn’t make you an Atheist. If they met god than they are no longer Atheists.

@LauraUU I didn't say anything about hating god just not liking him but perhaps atheist wouldn't be correct, anti-theist might be better having met god and you still don't want anything to do with him.

@ipdg77 Yeah. Sorry I corrected you and I should have said “doesn’t like.” I’m just tired of people saying because I’m Atheist, I hate god. You can’t hate/dislike something you don’t believe in.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38337
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.