Agnostic.com

28 13

Wondering if anyone else is afraid of this.

I wonder if anyone else ever thinks about what some people if got in power would do to people like us. In Germany before Hitler it was a very libral place for the most part. So it can happen. It can happen and does now on a small scale. We see it in the news right wing nut hurting people. Think of what we do not see. As a man I know you can if by your self get the h--- beat out of you, over saying the wrong thing around some people. Right wing christain nuts do sometimes go after people and causing them untold troubles. It is unblieveable but here in the south you can be attacked, with words for sure by a group of stranges, that do not know each other over beliefs. So yes I do worry about it.

arronpaul46 6 Mar 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. Succumbing to the terrorists (terrorism comes in many forms) is not my idea of a life worth living.

I choose not to live my life in fear. There are politicians who use fear to control people, and sway them to their way of thinking. I was raised (by Christian faith, ironically) to stand up for what is right. Integrity is more important to me than anything. If I were to die standing up for what is truly right in the moral sense, then nothing else matters. I also realize that no one is going to remember me anyway. But if I have a small positive influence on just one person in my lifetime by being a good example... Well, maybe my life was worth it.

Even though I would not expect such a high standard of everyone or even myself, I do find your attitude highly admirable.

@arronpaul46 Salute!

In both Canada and the US evangelical christian have been training an ever increasing number of alt-right christian to seek key position in politics, government and the law with the expressed purpose of turning both nations into christian theocracies, so, I would say your concerns are well founded. This christian hate of us crosses into Canada; a friend of mine has had is vehicle vandalized and his house broken into and graffiti sprayed on the walls because he put a fish with legs and an atheist bumper sticker on his vehicle in a community about 1.5 hours south of me where he and his girl friend live.

I don't think there are many Xian's who hate atheists. Unfortunately the squeaky wheel gets the grease. The alt right is not a majority of the Xian group. I do understand your point of view, but there is always a struggle for societies direction.

Yes. Iran was quite progressive in the 70s and look at them now. It is entirely possible for religion to take over and it's something we should be mindful of and vigilant about. As someone else pointed out,the xtians have been training and placing individuals as political authorities and I think movements like the "elect a scientist" thing that's been going on are an answer.

If we don't learn by our past it will happen again. look at trump and teresa may

I think about it but mainly because I have ancestors who were killed in the holocaust/shoah. The Jews are the canary in the coal mine and attacks on Jews ARE radically up. I don't let it rule my day but I do keep it in the back of my mind. The difference between Hitler's Germany and the United States is the percentages. Germany was predominantly white, lutheran. Minorities were very much a minority. In the US today, the white hate groups/(lesser) radicalized muslims have unintentionally united the minorities. African American leadership, Jews, GLBTQ, muslims, sikhs et al ARE working together to fight hatred. Non-believers are a pretty large minority (Pew research) 30% and growing. Whereas the Jews are less than 1 or 2% of the population, an easy target. Also, remember, Obama mainstreamed non-believers in his first acceptance speech. So, to protect the most vulnerable groups (Jews, African Americans, Native Americans, Muslims, Sikhs, GLBTQ and so many others) means tolerance for all, including nonbelievers. That's my view. Nice post, aaronpaul

There is no doubt, at least to me, that the Powers That Be have taken over the Republican Party and are goosestepping us into an oligarthy. They're brilliant at it too, because they have got the very sheeple they want to control to vote them into office with false promises. The sheeple are too dumb and gullible to see the plan and the execution of the plan. We're screwed, because the branches of government set up to prevent this from happening are controlled by our oppressors. We need to stand up to them now before there is blood.

I live in a conservative area and I don't hide the fact I'm atheist. I haven't got my ass kicked yet.

You've been lucky if the kind of people you're living around. Anytime that topic of religion rears it's head, I've been open to judgment and ostricizng from others. Now that I live near Charlotte I feel in around much more open minded people. I'm happy to be here.

Hmm...nothing like that happening in America right now.
Oh, wait. TRUMP.

you should

humpty trumpty built a big wall
Humpty trumpty brain was so small

Hitler wasn't a Christian, though he was somewhat indifferent towards religion. Several high ranking Nazis saw Christianity as a threat to their movement's authority. I think it's important to stress that Nazism was not a Christian movement, nor did it enforce Christian beliefs. I'm not entirely sure where this understanding that the Nazis were Christians comes from. Is it a case of "So you don't like Jews? You must be a Christian, then!"

I already go out quite regularly, in the knowledge that I'm doing at least two things that might get me beaten to a pulp (or worse.) The slim possibility that someone might attack me over my religion doesn't even enter my head. Religiously motivated attacks in this country are almost exclusively Islamic fundamentalist terror attacks against just about anyone who isn't one of them, including Christians.

So definitely not something I'll be losing sleep over, here in the UK. Perhaps the US is different.

That's about a thousand words right there.

Hear,hear! The hate of Jews in Germany was the long-held belief that Jews held more money and power than they should have. That christian thing (they killed our lord) was just promoted for poor people who culd not relate to the money-power thing. Remember this, America, it is always about money and power.

@arronpaul46 Didn’t trump say as much when choosing ‘which party’ to run in, declaring it would be 'easier winning in the Republican party because they were easier to manipulate?' I view his tactics as modern Nazism … and his pick of Pence as confirmation of his using religion as a political tool..

Hitler said "I believe that a nation, in order to increase its resistance, should not live according to the principals of reason alone. It also needs a spiritual and religious hold." WILHELM REICH The Mass Psychology Of Fascism" Reich thought that "Fascism is the extreme expression of religious mysticism"

@cava This is a truly frightening historical reference. I personally believe that everything that humankind acting as a group has done that resulted in evil was based on some religious beliefs and perpetrated by zealots. I am convinced that religion is dangerous.

Nicole, 'Hitler was indifferent to religion...'. but he killed a lot of people and his main target were the Jews, LGBTQ, gypsies, disabled, vulnerable minorities. Many, many Christians were brave enough CHRISTIAN enough to speak out, act in defense of these minorities. But, there's no question church leadership, overall, was culpable if only in their silence.
Not so today. Germany under Chancellor Merkell is remarkable in her determination to keep the record straight: Germany will not embrace neo Nazis. AND look at where we are in this country. So many white Americans, even amongst the many that voted for Trump, are NOT racists, not in favor of waving the rebel flag.
I think it's okay IMPORTANT even for Christianity to reflect on its history. And, one more thing, to put the record straight...according to (PEW, southern poverty law, ACLU) the white hate groups ARE responsible in the US for most acts of violence. This IS different between US and UK...I know yours are Islamic terrorists and I fear we are headed in that direction too.

@TimothyIII I'm NOT convinced that religion in and of itself is dangerous. But, I think it's a too ready and available tool for people who like to abdicate thinking to others.

Hitler, like tRump was not a Christian but both used it as a tool to get to a position of power and as an excuse to add havoc to an already distrusting situation. Far too many folks who think of themselves as Christians are truly members of a flock. They follow like sheep without question and for this reason religion in and of itself is and has always been dangerous. People who are so convinced of something that cannot be proven are by practice ignorant and that is reason enough for it to be dangerous.

Can't remember the authors name but you should read The Spear of Destiny, no Hitler wasn't a christian anymore than tRump, Franklin Graham and others of that ilk, but he did rise to power with the help of christians, ringing any bells for ya?

I certainly share a concern about religion incerting itself in the affairs of the nation. Christian doctrine controlling laws and lawmakers is no different that the Taliban, just a different religion. Having a con man who uses religion as a tool holding the highest post in the government is a perfect indicator. And a 'christian' weasel as the leading law enforcement person in the federal government is truly a disturbing situation. BUT what we are seeing is the reaction and resistance to this by everyday folks and that is encouraging.

I think the Taliban, to date, is much, much worse than what we've seen in the Christian politicians, as a whole, in the US. Trump and the so-called religious right only make up 1/3 of voters in this country and look at the reaction...the democrats are electrified/unified. You would never see that under the Taliban. Granted, I believe that's because of our Constitution and separation of Church and State but there's some incredibly ethical, moral religious people (Christians, Jews, Muslims, I mean Western, Eastern, tribal...all inclusive)

It is definitely a concern, and if some are fearful, that's understandable. That's why I feel it's a very beneficial thing do what you can to change minds. I don't mean proselytize, but do take advantage of those moments as they arise to encourage critical inquiry. I am reminded of a quote about our history I'd like to share:

When the Christians controlled the governments in Europe in the "dark ages" they murdered Atheists, Homosexuals, Jews, and anyone who didn't follow their religion. Be aware that if they ever take control again they will put a stake up your rectum and roast you like a pig.

nicknotes, yes to this. The difference between the Christians of Europe in the dark ages and us now, in simplest terms, is the separation of church and state.

Years ago I heard a political pundit describe how to address the violent groups of the day this way and I am paraphrasizing: "the only way to combat this social violence is to become as ruthless as the people we are fighting, and most concerned civilized people will not resort to this. Violent groups know this and use it as a weakness against us." Sad to say, I belive this to be true. Most civilized portions of society expect our government to protect them from violent groups but America has never really stood up to do that. Neither did Europe. If America wants to change, it needs to outlaw the KKK, the Alt-right and other groups whose sole purpose is to destroy sociiety and the American government. They are to be viewed as hostile combatants at the least (domestic terrorists) actually and charged with treason if they continue their membership. I for one do not worry so much about Muslim terrorists as I do the domestic kind...people in my neighborhood, city, state, country.

Only chance is to change law! at federal level I guess in your country ultimately .. who knows how long that might take. Uk is same.. It hasn't got same issues but it's law is deeply flawed and built on statues from 1215. I think it is the only way. In our country if you rose up violently you wold definitely get killed in riots. It's happened before. Even bystanders have been fatalities.. weirdly. It is a painfully slow process that will take hundreds of years yet to even level up gender equality - never mind race globally .. I do think you are right that those on the social justice side must be mindful not to become softened though & remember the people they / we face are often pathologically abusive characters.

Yes, I worry about such things too but humanity has not changed much since we came out of the caves. As long as fear rules our brains, those in power will always use it to to either indoctrinate people like us who ask uestions, or strive to eliminate us. In the grand scheme of world history, we are all descendents from both camps somewhere along the line. It is the legacy of humanity. We are our own worst enemy...always have been

Religionists are definitely pack animals … so I like to circle their herd 😉 Stable, with a growing family, I was definitely ready to defend us. But with that mission accomplished and hands untied.. I more often feel like - bring it on ~

Having relocated to another red zone, surrounded by churches and guys with ‘hoods’ behind their pickup seats ..right below the rifle.. I force myself to stay aware, or, simply earn their respect with my behavior. Poorly educated doesn't (always) mean stupid, and I suspect there are a number of good ol’ boys kinda tired of that game … maybe wanting to finally call it for what it really is, and when finding someone they can talk straight to, open up.

It can be a dangerous dance, though, depending on what you’ve got to lose…

Varn Level 8 Mar 17, 2018

Courage comes in many forms. Your attitude and day to day behavior is such an example. "Be the Change you want to see." Ghandi smiley face, smiley face

If you are afraid of a Hitler senerio then I would be more afraid of the people who want to take away our guns. I know that in certain religious hot spots that religious people have the power, and they can hurt you economicly by not hiring those whoo are not religious. I lived in Mormon areas, and it can be hard to get a job if you are not Mormon.

An alt-right, NRA-loving atheist? That's rare.

@birdingnut I am not alt-right. I am very liberal in many of my political views.

@Leutrelle Sure. I'm guessing you watch Fox News, since you quoted them about people coming to get your guns, LOL! They said that to scare people into not voting for Obama and kept saying it for eight years. But it was really all about racism, as it turned out, since the Trump people don't care that he's a sexual predator, homophobic, xenophobic, etc., as long as he's GOP, white, and male.

@birdingnut I don't watch FOX News, and I like it that you seem to have a hold on the authoritative truth.

I don't live in fear but I live in the red part of WA State. If I lived in the South I would not be a happy person. I speak up and I always have - yep a woman who does NOT know her place. LOL. All this christian stuff started being inserted during the cold war years and Macarthism. I want this country to move back to a more secular stance and I think the young people just might do it.

Civility and Governance is collapsing around our heads in the United States. Our vice president is near to, if not in fact a christian domininist. He will likely be our next POTUS, sooner or a bit later. This as we are near at war with serious and potent enemies. Lack of concern would verge on obliviousness.

Is civility and governance really collapsing around our heads? Pre-Trump we were all apathetic. Look at us now. Energized. Caring about our Constitution, getting informed. Especially the millenials. Trump and his idiot cronies ARE shocking but I'm optimistic still.

Yeah, I have an FU attitude towards personal confrontation, I won't be around long if this country becomes a dictatorship.

But I knew that anyway. I'm mixed race, Atheist, Autistic, and have Epilepsy. I'm not scared of becoming Offred, I know I'll end up dead in a labor camp, or preferably earlier.

I try not to live in fear but I know what you mean. I'm in mid Missouri in the heart of redneck land. Many here do not like my politics at all, and if they know I am atheist it would get much worse. This is why I am not out to everyone and that includes my right wing religious employers. I'm outspoken, yes, but you might notice that my user name is not a real name. Things work for me simply because I was once one of them many years ago. I'm also a political activist, once married to a black woman in the heartland. I know how to crow without crowing too loudly. I'm hoping that I can still get the job done.

I'm not fearful, but I do accept the possibility of something like that happening.
If it were to, and I wasn't rounded up in the first wave, I'd go underground.
And that's all I'm going to say about what I might do.

It's not only the extreme right, but the extreme left too. Time to form a Moderate party that represents a middle ground and creates a balance between being economically sound and still provide social services.

I am more concerned about what kind of world we are creating for our children. Personally, I have never been afraid of being beaten up mostly due to my size. I am not part of any minority group besides Atheist, though,

Having marched the streets for many causes over the years I don't tend to fear people. If they're that scary I'll stay away from them. I've had challenging times, but luckily I've survived them and learnt to read cues better. I don't always discuss things with people if I know their mind is made up, I just let them rant if I'm not in the mood.

I am always true to myself. I don't hide it. So far, so good. I also live in the south. Asheville, NC. Just a few miles away from where Billy Graham lived.

I've heard that, too. I don't know if it's a problem here or not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38380
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.