Agnostic.com

8 0

Describe your life as it currently is in a few words and explain why

Suffering and broken promises

For me, life is a struggle. Nothing has ever some easy and I wasn't given any privileged wealthy parents or grand parents to pay for everything in life. While I'm sure this is the majority as only the top 10% or 1% of the population would be so lucky.

I can say that having been born into meager means did teach me the value of effort, of spending a summer afternoon and evening chopping firewood to get a hefty meal at the end.

I grew up without any neighbors or friends my age until middle school. So it was hard for me to understand body language and people's confusing behavior in social situations.

Suffering from mild dyslexia meant I always struggled in spelling and grammar and worked hard to combat it.. though every so often I'll just be unable to read for a second or minute..

Because of my social quirks I was picked on as a child. That is until one day I little seven year old Robert beat the snot out of a sixth grader on the school bus and got suspected for a month.

While this warned away would be bullies for pretty much the rest of grade through high school. It didn't do me wonders with gaining any friends.

Skip to high school and at that point I'd become rather acclimated with the dynamics of social interaction. And while I had become a master of "fitting in" with every social click and manipulating public opinion to become a two year Student Body President and captain of all the Sportsball teams I engaged in.

I still spent most of my evenings and weekends alone.

But again, that meant spending more time lifting weights, running, reading, playing video games, drawing on my own. Finding what interested me and learning from suffering what to become better at and what not to do, depending on the desired outcome.

Throughout my professional career targeted because of my work ethic or because of how well I accomplished a given task. I have been told I don't deserve promotions, to be in positions I earned through hard work, or targeted for political attack because I opposed a foolish and costly directive of a more politically powerful manager (even when I was proven correct).

These people usually rose to their position not through talent or work ethic. But through privilege, bribes (investing in the company and getting a management position) or generational influence. This of course meant anyone with actual talent and or work ethic painfully highlighted their incompetence, lack of wisdom and lack of experience.

This usually resulted in targeting me with extra work, assigning failing projects to me when such projects were 75% off the rails, or piling on 200% workloads that were unreasonable or unobtainable.

I would take this suffering and push through it. Taking the impossible as a personal challenge to prove to myself (not them) that I could do it. Did I succeed? Not even most of the time, the challenge was too great for one person to possibly do. But I didn't stop, and some times I did succeed making them look like an ass in the process.

Suffering has made me tolerant of adversity and made my well deep.

You may be familiar with the saying, "fill your cup full of knowledge, but only to the brim. Some people's cup is actually a shot glass. While others a 64 oz bucket."

I have a well and I keep digging deeper.

The second is broken promises.

This pertains to myself and others throughout my life. One reminds me that no matter the faith and trust you may put into some. They have to choose how to respond and mirror that trust or break it.

In business as in personal relationships I have a tenuous apprehension for faith and trust.. unless it is backed by honorable action and keeping of their word.

Honor, a old notion in today's instant gratification, always looking for the better relationship, more money, better job, more powerful position culture.

Honor seems a quaint concept to the honorless.

Broken promises reflect and reminder of how foolish and selfish others can be while reminding me of my own mistakes and having the bravery to try again and wish for a positive outcome.

It is also a reminder of my failures and that I will make amends.

What about you?

RobertFoley 6 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A mystery that keeps unfolding; an opportunity to learn something new or see something old in a different light each day... Rarely felt that way until the last few years, and very grateful to have turned it around.

I once hqd a friend that told me,

"Life is what you make of it, make a life of it" due to my over zelous since of justice, that being what is right and wrong, I have pissed too many people off by calling people off. I have failed him, but i can look myself in the mirror.

Fucking awesome.

Because it is.

1of5 Level 8 Aug 7, 2019

Though I do not practice many rituals involved with taoism, I do follow certain principles. As mentioned by Chuang-tzu for the best and most peaceful way of living in the world: see the bigger picture, stay within your comfort zone and do fully what gives you the most pleasure, ignore the demands of society and outside values in favor of inner wholeness and deep-seated contentment. So I am happy with my simple life, living quietly, watching nature, and just waking up each day to enjoy my simple life.

One of my mental health books describes someone with EUPD as a person who often attracts drama. That shocked me because there is always some drama or other going on in my life. I hope I don't attract it. My life is generally fairly chaotic but within the chaos, I am a quiet bookish person desperately looking forward to being a grown up. I am 53 today...still waiting

why would you want to grow up. the grown-ups have totally Fcked up this planet.

You are probably depressed man, why do you even want to hear how others enjoy life when yours is apparently in shit creek? Maybe you are a masochist who enjoys being there? My parents were middle class, 5 siblings, nothing special so I worked to get all I have in life, nobody gave me anything except perhaps good advice and life examples. Suffice to say my life is a happy and fulfilling life in every aspect, when shit happens, and it always does, you fix it yourself and you don't blame others.

you don't show much sympathy for anyone. one of these days your perfect life will be impacted by an external event or you will have a serious medical issue. maybe your attitude will change.

@callmedubious Wrong assumptions in every aspect, I have been impacted several times very seriously, yet my attitude will always be the same, positive and happy because I choose to be that way.

@Mofo1953 ,
has it ever occurred to you that everyone would like to be positive & happy but brain chemistry alone prevents it in a large segment of the population.

@callmedubious duh? why do you think I told the poster he must be depressed? don't waste my time with more inane comments.

@Mofo1953 ,
i won't waste any more of my time with an asshole. bye, bye.

Retired... Chilling... looking forward to the Return back home for good. I will end my days back home... Satisfied with the Damage done in Life... Got some Nice Stories... Some Awesome Memories.... Satisfied!!!

Idyllic and satisfying

For many years I wasn't happy, so I set about to make a change and free myself from what/who was making me unhappy.

I began a new life and my own business doing what I love to do, and making people happy with what I do. I set my own hours, and make sure I set aside free time to enjoy the activities I love. I'm living my own life, my own way, and I love it.

I'm finally happy, maybe more happy than some because I know what it's like to have lived like a zombie in a tomb, and now I am very much alive in what I feel is paradise.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:385169
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.