Agnostic.com

28 14

Well, here I am single again....

It was a good run, 11 weeks, just short of 3 months... but now it's over. And I can't even say it's anything I did, even though I'm the one who decided to end it....

Initially she showed a lot of insecurity, but I accepted that as the results of her having had (as she said) several very bad relationships, one which was physically abusive, as well as a rape about 15 years ago. She said I was the first decent guy she'd ever been with.

About 4 weeks ago, while traveling on business (again, by her account, which I accept, but I have only her word for any of this), she was assaulted by a manager in her company. The police apparently didn't find enough evidence to file charges, she says, so he still works there, in a different city- but the word went around and people in her office are talking about her behind her back and to her face. I urged her to get the EEOC involved, since she's facing a very clear harassment situation. She's afraid they would just fire her. But once you file a complaint, it's illegal for the company to fire you in retaliation. Still no dice; she is determined that she can stick it out, even though she's throwing up before work from the stress.

I also urged her to get help from a crisis center of some kind; some type of mental health professional who she can talk to and work out some of the things that are going on (not just the current situation, because she says she has whole weeks where she can't sleep, going back years). She says her insurance doesn't cover mental health treatment. I have never heard of this, but OK. How about free crisis intervention? No; she will be okay, she says; she always is eventually. How about getting a different job? No; she doesn't think she could get another one that would pay enough.

And yet, about once a week all along, I've had to reassure her that I'm not "too good for her", and that she's not "stupid" (her words!!) because I have a master's degree and she didn't finish college. Her self-esteem is in the tank. She shows all the signs of a bipolar disorder, way up one week, down to the bottom the next.

And this week, she has been refusing to see me because "she's a wreck". Finally she wrote once again that she's "not good enough" and called herself "a filthy whore" (?!?!?!?!), blaming herself for the things that keep happening to her. This time she says a waiter brushed her breast and it's her fault. (?????) I don't know where the fuck she's getting these ideas. She's brought this up before, right after being assaulted; the idea that she "did something" to bring it on. I told her; no woman ever asks to be attacked. But she doesn't believe me, she blames herself and I don't know why. She wanted to take a break. From us? I asked. From everything, she replied. I reassured her that I love her (and I do), but now she's taken off out of state after a day where we barely communicated. Normally she would have bombed my phone with a dozen or forty "I love you" messages.

So while I love her, I'm not sure she loves herself. And I don't think love is enough if she's not going to take care of herself. I am not a mental health practitioner and I don't have it in me to ride the roller coaster of her emotions like this.

So after two sleepless nights, I finally told her I had no choice but to let her go. I asked her to please get help, from a crisis center, a victim's resource center, the church (she is sort of vaguely Xian but doesn't go anymore), anywhere. And to please apply for a job somewhere else and just see what happens.

And I apologized... because I'm sorry I couldn't be what she needed.

So anyway... I'm single again. Time to get back in the pool and reactivate my dating profiles, I guess.

Paul4747 8 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

28 comments (26 - 28)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

If you keep giving validation to people's psychotic episodes (which happen almost all the time, if you think about their real condition) as all the details you need to think with, you're always going to be alone because you're not really problem-solving and just going with the normal advice of "if I don't feel good about something, then it's bad, so get rid of it". In the relationship context, that was your girlfriend, with clear emotional problems, and you booted her...what, you suddenly didn't find her attractive or something? That's just lying to yourself. Most girls just want chocolate or something.

In fact, do you think chocolate doesn't reverse death? Well you and I know it doesn't. That's just the rational way of looking at it. But women believe it. Don't ask me why.

Now you have to live with the public knowing about that, because someone involved is going to talk about it, and it's going to change your method of either restoring your relationship with this woman or it's going to change your method of selecting a partner. Back at zero!

I'm not quite sure I fully understand what you are trying to say, but if you think he was wrong for letting her go, I disagree. I was in a similar situation with my now ex husband. Nothing I did could help him because he refused to be helped. Eventually it became go down with him or cut him loose. I chose me. You can't be at your best if you are constantly trying to fix someone else's problems that they won't try to fix themselves. I'm not going to waste my life on someone like that. I deserve to be happy too.

@Cherie4444

That's just the simple way of looking at it. It's called "You're in a relationship. Things will happen.", okay?

@Remi

I took a sensible approach to the problem. I weaved in some humor, because I don't really care about normality anymore. It was crap from the start, and it's crap now.

I also don't pretend like I understand normal people and their preference for living as insane people, and general nonsense. If you think my thinking doesn't apply, then I really don't care. When it comes to relationships, every individual problem becomes a "we" thing until both attraction naturally dies and the relationship is truly terminated.

Sorry this happened but I'm like you. I'm not sure she loves herself. That is what a lot of these key events are about. It's hard to see just what reactions she is wanting from you and a therapist may help.

This sounds near identical to a 3 year r/s I had with a Borderline disordered woman. Look into BPD… Here’s the best resource I found: [bpdfamily.com]

If you find yourself having a hard time ‘getting over her,’ please read around on that board.. It can be chilling! And if it’s BPD, she’s never really gone … so prepare yourself for another round.

Or, stay strong and resolved - and move on. I didn’t, it took me 1.5 years to figure out what I (she) was dealing with … and another 1.5 years to realize.. ..there was nothing I could do to fix it. The behavior & symptoms you describe sound eerily familiar ..and if I’m right, stay gone ~

Varn Level 8 Aug 10, 2019

I have to say bells are ringing, especially things like:

" highly sensitive to rejection, reacting with anger and distress to such mild separations as a vacation, a business trip, or a sudden change in plans. These fears of abandonment seem to be related to difficulties feeling emotionally connected to important persons when they are physically absent, leaving the individual with BPD feeling lost and perhaps worthless"

and

"People with BPD exhibit other impulsive behaviors, such as excessive spending"

Last weekend she bought me a set of bookcases from a guy on Facebook... now I almost want to take them back to her, but that keeps me involved with her. She once made a 90 minute round trip to put a present in my back screen door for me while I was at work. At the time it seemed sweet and impulsive, but now it seems sorta scary (and at the time it seemed excessive).

@Paul4747 Yes, bells were ringing for me while reading your description, too.. Those with BPD learn quick that sending out sexual vibes keeps them relevant, or desired. So much of what she described experiencing may have been initiated by her.

Past sexual trauma and short relationships seem a hallmark. It sounds like your instincts are serving you better than mine did at the time. Do move on, but as mentioned, expect a return visit. And if so, do not feed the beast; no drama, just your best ‘disinterested’ demeanor..

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:386860
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.