Agnostic.com

11 1

What's your opinion when you hear "Women's rights" as an issue?

Pfr1998 5 Nov 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think it is a shame that we don't just automatically give equal rights to everyone, but have to instead fight for equality one group at a time. It is inefficient and duplicates efforts over and over again.

I am of an opinion that the rich deliberately make an effort to keep us viewing each other as separate groups rather than just one large oppressed group with a lot of infighting over, what in the end is, mostly minor differences. They divide us and keep us conquered and at bay.

There is no doubt that our (and most other))society does not accord women the full respect, rights, and pay that they deserve.

If any of you know "Mythbusters", I believe that sexism was on display at the selection of the new hosts. Don't get me wrong, it was a tough decision out of the last four contestants. ONE contestant stood out in my mind and SHE wasn't chosen. She had won the "MVP" twice within three weeks during the search process (she is the ONLY contestant for the position of host that was awarded that distinction twice). When I hear "women's rights", I think of the bias that still exist on the job. Women get paid $0.78 to $0.82 for every dollar that a man makes doing the exact same job. Twenty-four percent of corporation CEO's are women. Nineteen and six-tenths percent of the House of Representatives are women, and twenty-one percent of the Senate are women. THAT's what I think about when I hear "women's rights".

If you mean in countries where they are missing, sure. If however, you mean in the modern western world, then I'm like "why?".

It grates me.....Yes women's rights in the past have been curtailed and there has been a struggle to bring them up to that of men. However, in western society there is no law that men have that women don't. We are equal in law if not in culture (there is a gap I will admit). I am the brother of six sisters, and I have a daughter of my own.
I do not like to see them be treated differently because of there sex. But, that doesn't mean they should simply be given things as well because of that same sex......things should be earnt not simply given others wise it has no value.

SAJ46 Level 2 Nov 16, 2017

Rights should be based on basic needs. Everything else is a bonus.

Betty Level 8 Nov 16, 2017

About the same as for civil rights, human rights, gay rights. We seemed to be gaining until a year ago.

gearl Level 8 Nov 16, 2017

My opinion is that we're pretty seriously fucked as a society that it still needs to be an issue.

Orly Level 5 Nov 15, 2017

Exactly my point. I always comment elsewhere my support for women in all areas but also say I don't WANT to have to be for women's rights because the idea that its an issue is ridiculous.

to clarify I mean the right to choose, vote, equal pay, maternity leave etc

I voted for Hillary. I admit it. but it was not because she was a woman. she could have been a bag of flour, Elmo, a rock. anything/anyone but Dumpft

Long overdue. Can't happen fast enough at this point.

Run

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3870
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.