Agnostic.com

8 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Have you watched Altered Carbon on Netflix?

No, similar premise I take it?

In a future world people can be re-sleeved, their consciousness uploaded into a new body. The ultrarich can create their own clone or select a new improved body and can store backups of themselves. The religious can be coded so that they die for real (aren't re-sleeved). Of course people can die for real if their "Stack" is destroyed and no backups exist. The Stack is like a memory stick at the base of the brain. It's fairly graphic sex/nudity/violence, but it is very thought provoking

Started watching with a few friends - interesting concept, but we weren't overly impressed.
Does it get better after the first couple of episodes?

I think it does, but it probably not for everyone.

It may not be possible to do this in any case. And it raises the question: Is your uplifted version now a separate consciousness from your biological one? So are you now two distinct and separate consciousnesses and beings? Are you aware of the other version of you?

Because all of the inputs from the body are part of the consciousness, it would seem to me that, even if the upload were possible, the uploaded consciousness would be far from the original. Just guessing from the intuitive hip here, but I really think that much of what was the original having been eliminated would cause an immediate change and further differences would build up over time.

Not that I would ever be in a position to afford this option, but still a nope for me.
I think part of what makes us Human is that we will die.
Will we have a next evolution were we are etranal? Maybe, but then we would no longer be called human.

I think 90% or more of what is posted on that site is hype and garbage anymore.

Not sure why anyone would want to be less human.

Ask our President, maybe he will tell you what it is like. 🙂

Yeah I will pass

Noooo thanks..

Good grief! And a great big NO, thank you.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:38713
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.