Agnostic.com

5 2

LINK Heil Honey I'm Home: The Nazi-Themed Sitcom Canceled After One Episode | Mental Floss

Somebody thought this was a good idea for a show? I mean, Roberto Benigni did manage to make a comedy about the Holocaust, but it turned out to be sort-of funny (to me anyway, not to everybody).

A review from the great Brad Jones:

altschmerz 9 Aug 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I could never watch Hogans Heroes knowing how utterly horrible Nazis were. Humor never seemed to fit appropriately. Even when watching the Producers I can't laugh.

I always have in the back of my mind the brutal suffering of the people by their hands. And I can't laugh at them being portrayed as buffoons or idiots. I just can't. They knew what they were doing. Too many sufffered and died. There is no humor in who they are.

"Heil Honey I'm Home" constantly dragged out and paraded as the worst sitcom ever made.
The reality is even more odd, eight episodes were commissioned and two were made (The pilot, and Hitler in the closet) only one was ever broadcast, by the short lived satellite channel "British satellite Broadcasting" helmed by media mogul and crook Robert Maxwell.
The communion was for a pilot for the most bad taste American sitcom ever set in Nazi Germany.
In that it succeeded
BSB had a number of dubious practices and one was to measure complaints.
During a doctor who marathon they screen two episodes of the first doctor story "The Edge of Destruction" in the wrong order and measured the complaints.
Like wise Heil Honey was broadcast under a wave of publicity as the lost episodes of a 1960s forgotten classic by a forgotten genius with warnings of political incorrectness.
For myself the obvious give away was having "Guest star" Patrick Cargill as Chamberlain (who had the sense to retire and then die shorty after filming this) for though he was popular in the late 60's and 70's (Father Dear Father etc) he was obviously very old by the 1990 broadcast date.
The huge furor that ensued even though BSB was a small channel that was very new proved to BSB that the launch and the push to have people buy "Squariels" the receiver system needed to get BSB had essentially been a flop as their actual "viewer" complaints had been very few and most of the anger was coming days later from people who watched the show on bootleg VHS copies.
Even today most people like "Brad, the cinema snob Jones" can only get their hands on such copies as can be seen from the quality.
BSB merged with Sky only a few weeks later and some believe the losses incurred were what contributed to the disappearance and death of Maxwell less than a year later.

In short "Heil Honey I'm Home" was a joke and a publicity stunt meant to illicit complaints that backfired spectacularly by people unable to recognize it for what it was

@altschmerz Thanks I was daft enough to buy a squariel because I wanted satellite TV did did not want to support Murdoch.
BSB did have some gems, like the rights to the old B&W Doctor who series and the world's first last and only soap opera in space "Jupiter Moon" (Sci-Fi channel when it was still called Sci-fi repeated it a few years later, much to the delight of "so bad it is good" aficionados)

This isn’t the first Nazi satire, just probably the unfunniest. The Great Dictator which Charlie Chaplin made and starred in was a comedy/satire made in 1940, Hitler and Mussolini were parodied, Chaplin playing both Hitler and a Jewish barber, it was nominated for 5 Academy awards. He did say in his 1964 autobiography that had he known of the true horrors of the Nazi regime and the concentration camps, he could never have made the movie. Of course more recently we’ve had the hilarious Mel Brooks musical The Producers which has the “Springtime for Hitler” routine in it...depicting the domestic life of Hitler and Eva Braun. I suppose it’s seen by some as in bad taste and by others as a good way to deal with the horror of what happened, by turning them into objects of ridicule and parody.

@altschmerz Yes..he’s 93 now, his wife Ann Bancroft died a few years ago. He is one of the funniest men, I just love anything he’s acted in or produced /directed.

Yuck 😝

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 17, 2019

Wow . And bliach 🤢
And WTF too .

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:389935
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.