Agnostic.com

99 2

Do you have to pretend to be religious to fit in?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

99 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While it’s true that we do this, I think that people are moving away from feeling they have to put on a show. Nodding to avoid confrontation is different than pretending to be religious. A nod may only indicate that you acknowledge their opinion but don’t necessarily feign agreement.

To fit in where?

not in the slightest. i would hate to have to do that.

Hmm I'm in a tough spot when it comes to that. I told my wife and kids I'm an athiest a few months ago and we just now got to a place we aren't arguing about it anymore. Now I'm technically a Jehovah's Witness and I haven't told them my stance yet because my wife and kids are fully indoctrinate and I only can deal with things one at a time. I honestly haven't figured out how to go about telling them I don't want to apart of your organization anymore and not be disfellowshipped and further weaken the relationship with my wife and kids.

Only with a muslim knife at my throat or jewish glock or xian mafia cop ready with his handcuffs to jail us Atheists

I know there are Atheist/Agnostic men and women who will pretend and attend Christian churches hoping to snag a mate or dating partner, but I think that is deceitful and would never do it. Same thing with joining a Christian or Catholic singles group. Would usually only lead to grief and drama. Have never really tried to pretend or fit in at workplaces and have usually paid a price for it, in one case it was the main reason I was forced out from there. So I would say it is often a real issue for people and not always easy to decide whether to stay in the closet or not when it comes to workplaces. As for the rest of life, it's not as big a deal in my eyes and you should be honest about who you are.

Most adults that I come in contact with don't make religious comments. I deal with it with children. When they ask I just tell them that I don't go to church, read the bible or celebrate christmas or easter. Working with kids is difficult because you don't want to contradict their parents, but you also don't want to be just another person who lied to them when they find out the truth. Talking santa, easter bunny and tooth fairy, not god. Most of my kiddos will take it as a lie and be upset.

Often I do have to "go along, to get along".
I do not like having to be that way, but in many cases, that is the way it is.

I don't pretend to be anything. I am a morally upstanding member of the community, and people often assume things based on that. Their incorrect assumptions aren't my problem. If asked, I lay it out like it is.

I don't really fit in that well anywhere, I put it down to hard early life lessons- I have certain mental health problems so I come across as both naiive and quirky _ I can't imagine how I would do that pretence. I have very little grounding in religion. I seem to be accepted though, even by people who are religious I think thats because I am no threat to them - Their faith is easily strong enough to withstand an atheist in the mix, and I fit in very well with my friends and family who are unbelievers.

Nope. If I have to pretend to be anything in order to "fit in", I don't want to fit in wherever that is. I cannot pretend to be something I'm not.

I've never been accused of trying to fit in....

There are very few people that know I'm agnostic. My reputation would be ruined if people knew the truth of what I thought about their religion and many would be very hurt, I think. As long as I have the job I do there is no point in making waves as it would only make people uncomfortable myself included. If I were asked I wouldn't lie, but most people just assume that if you are a good person serving others you must be a Christian.

I used to think that way, but honestly feel it’s important to change the perception people have of non-believers. Not that I go around announcing to people that I’m an Atheist, but when it does come up in conversation people are usually shocked When they find out. They need to understand that anyone can be atheist/ agnostic and we can also be good people too. We just choose to be a good person, we don’t need to be rewarded. ?

I do not and I never would. I do maintain contact with religious people (different Christian denominations mostly) and capable of having productive talks even on religious topics with them.
Haven't experienced discrimination because of my believes (or lack of such) up to date.

There was a time when I felt that I had to be religious to fit in with people. I start my deconversion at the age of 13-14 or so, when I started having to go to classes for Catholic Confirmation (something that you're supposed to volunteer for, not something you should be forced in to. I was forced). I played nice and played the part for many years and it tore me apart inside. I can't tell you how much, having to pretend to believe in these things when you're the only person in your family that's willing to look with an objective mind at what's being presented, but forced to ignore that information.

I say be true to yourself. Don't put yourself in any sort of unnecessary danger, but do what you need to do to love yourself and be happy.

Not to anyone I know or in my family, but when my Mother was approaching 90 and the end was near, she asked me to take her to services and I did. She's gone now and I don't pretend anymore.

Sometimes when they really mean it, it's kind of sad so I let them be happy, I'm outnumbered it's Waco. If they are a hypocrite I just berate them and mess with their heads. I try to stay away from ALL THIS because it's just too much already. Consequently, I am alone a lot. hehe. We have "pray away the gay" signs here, anti abortionists with signs, it's hell.

I don't pretend, I just don't blurt out I'm an atheist. While they pray I think of what the event entails and how I can be a good part of it and still have fun, to avoid what they would think is an insult I often bow my head-for respect to the host. I don't wear my atheism on my sleeve, that would make like them. I also look for things we can agree on, not necessarily religion. In fact, I am much more aggressive on politics, ask me about Trump and I'll give you an ear full.

Never. In fact, in situations where not pretending is likely to be discouraged I take it as further encouragement to not pretend.

I would in countries that have made atheism illegal.

No. I am not a charlatan.

Nope.

Why would I want to fit in? I'm at my best when I am the odd man in the group.

I think this is another question with levels of complexities. Who one is, is a big part of the equation and the circumstances are another.

I had a friend who was petite, from a Moslem country (with a slight accent), had a big friendly smile and was a people extrovert. She would stop any prayers or proselytizing anywhere or any time and people actually respected her. We were in a travel organization (SERVAS Int'l.) which is supposed to be totally secular. Religion often crept in and she would stop it there and then and people listened. She went on to be the area coordinator and then regional coordinator and was loved and highly respected for her 'mouth'.

We had a national conference recently and it was held in a center which was religious in nature. There was hand holding and prayers at different times. I, as an older, white, male would try and say something and I always got looks. At one time the group put obstacles in my path for continued membership. I had to fight to stay in and only because of the respect for her did they let me.

My question would be what is one trying to fit in on and how religious does one have to be? Are we talking about a career or some important thing one needs to survive? Keeping silent is one thing but participation is another. I have learned to speak up when I can and avoid areas where I can't. Being single and retired makes it easy to be outspoken. Having my late friend as a role model has helped.

FFRF has a project called the 'Clergy Project'. It is about clergy who no longer believe. It can be extremely harmful for these people to publicly say how they feel.

I never pretend, I just say nothing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.