Agnostic.com

99 2

Do you have to pretend to be religious to fit in?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

99 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nope. I have Christian friends, and they never try to convert me. I am up front about me being an atheist, and my friends never make a fuss about it.

I've learned to be me....and if they can't handle it fuck em. I live in the Bible belt and you can't throw a stick without hitting some church, synagogue, mosque or house of worship around here, but I push back when they start in with all their mumbo-jumbo crap.

I don't pretend, but depending on the group of people I'm around, & the reason I'm a there. People can believe what they want, & my Beliefs are my own, & I don't always Share them, so to remain focused on the moment.

Sometimes I keep my mouth shut, I always run into situations here where someone has to "Thank Jesus" for every little thing, but I am honest when asked about my own position.

mtn85 Level 2 Oct 2, 2017

i Dont

Sometimes, when I am at home, in front of parents, but seriously I don't want to use particular verbiage(religious).

Can you give an example of the verbiage?

@GoodMan Like I raised as an Indian muslim, but I am self proclaimed atheist now, so I don't use words like god bless, inshallah, etc, cause that doesn't mean anything to me,,,

@addu003 Great! I try to not to use words that have little or no significance to me also.

I'm from Pakistan. I can just never admit it openly. I envy all of you guys who are living in secular and liberal states. I just calm down or I've to keep the conversation going by adding my religious comments that I've learned in childhood. Being a Pakistani, you know, it is very tough to admit openly and no one knows where it might lead you.

Do you still live in Pakistan?

Nope and I never will.

Fitting in isn't all that it's cut out to be.

Never. And I won't be quiet about it if I am feeling pressured to conform.

I'm openly atheistic. However, I don't mention it unless it's relevant. In other words, I'm not an evangelical atheist.

Well said, “I’m not an evangelical atheist.”

I would not want to fit in anywhere that I had to pretend to be religious. Just, no.

For a while when running my cab business I found the need to do so. In a very religious community with religious people as clients, I would have gone under if not for keeping up pretenses. (Not to mention how many people there would have been trying to 'convert' me, or the religious arguments that I would have faced.) I just spoke to them in their own "Christianeze" language and kept my own beliefs (or lack of them) under wraps.
Now that I'm retired, no.

Donna Level 6 Sep 28, 2017

Never

I have no problem with that. I'm always accepted by any circle

No.

While it’s true that we do this, I think that people are moving away from feeling they have to put on a show. Nodding to avoid confrontation is different than pretending to be religious. A nod may only indicate that you acknowledge their opinion but don’t necessarily feign agreement.

To fit in where?

not in the slightest. i would hate to have to do that.

Hmm I'm in a tough spot when it comes to that. I told my wife and kids I'm an athiest a few months ago and we just now got to a place we aren't arguing about it anymore. Now I'm technically a Jehovah's Witness and I haven't told them my stance yet because my wife and kids are fully indoctrinate and I only can deal with things one at a time. I honestly haven't figured out how to go about telling them I don't want to apart of your organization anymore and not be disfellowshipped and further weaken the relationship with my wife and kids.

Only with a muslim knife at my throat or jewish glock or xian mafia cop ready with his handcuffs to jail us Atheists

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.