Agnostic.com

14 6

Washing raw chicken won't clean it, but it could make you sick.

Here's proof that washing raw chicken can splatter unwanted bacteria around your kitchen.

Years ago, I stopped rinsing chicken. Just transfer chicken from the wrapping to the roasting pan. Then wash your hands!

Cook to 165 degree. Love my instant read thermometer.

[nbcnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

And i thought all your mass produced chicken was dipped in chlorinated water to kill off the bugs. Chicken we are eagerly awaiting to sample after our post Brexit trade deal with the USA.

Pasteurization is a factor of time + temperature. A high temperature for a short time or a lower temperature for a longer time. That is the effect of Sous Vide cooking and it is perfectly safe to have medium rare chicken if the rules are followed. [polyscienceculinary.com] or for chicken: [seriouseats.com]

Chicken tartare with a sun warmed mayonnaise sauce is a little understood but effective sandwich spread. For your enemies.

A good thing then that I do not have to deal with this issue.

Does that mean it’s bad to suck up the delicious raw chicken juice left over in the container?

Go ahead and do it and I'll come to your funeral. Will there be food at the wake?

@ADKSparky No, but there will be an open bar.

i wash it in the sink. if it splatters it splatters into the sink that i am going to clean. if i have to cut it on the (plastic) cutting board, i clean the board and the knife and my hands before proceeding. i am scrupulous.

g

I usually kill, gut and pluck outside, then dunk it in a bucket of fresh water ... sometimes buy chicken breasts for a big cook up - dunk them in a bucket of fresh water too (water gets thrown onto garden) .. I normally shower after gutting - messy job

People rinse off chicken? That never occurred to me. Well, I certainly won't start. I chopped up a bunch of wings yesterday, baked half and put half in the freezer, all unwashed. And I am here to tell the tale.

Any ideas on effectively disinfecting raw vegetables from the grocery store?

When we lived overseas in 3rd world countries, we were told to add a bit of clorax to water. I now use a bit of apple cider vinegar instead as it is safer. You can also use hydrogen peroxide safely.

[davidsuzuki.org]

You should always thoroughly clean your kitchen after working with raw chicken.... ALWAYS.

Good advice

Yummy.

Saw the same blurb on my local NBC station also.

Sometimes I do a brine soak

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 20, 2019

@bobwjr

Then the salt water is a stew of bacteria.

@LiterateHiker brine is antibacterial if strong also helpful for wild game does disinfect

@LiterateHiker
You do realize that bacteria float in the air. It gets on everything, clean dishes, in your drink, and the air you breathe. Yes, meat does have bad bacteria, and requires you to cook it till no longer raw.

I brine turkey and chicken...as long as you throw out the brine and cook the meat, it is quite safe. I have never rinsed turkey or chicken.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:391370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.