Agnostic.com

18 3

I would be interested in hearing what what the group thinks about this question: Is there a difference between fact and truth?

Lmoore 2 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

a truth could be that I joined this site to possibly meet women, a fact would be that I joined today. One is a personal account that I belive, the other is evidence based.

The Nunes memo (released by a US Senate committee for those outside of America) contained a series of facts. It was also intentionally designed to be misleading, through the use of other facts that were omitted. It attempted to create a story that was not the truth. When further facts were released, a more truthful story emerged.

miffy Level 5 Mar 18, 2018

From my point of view there is. Consider thinking of it this way. Facts are just that, the cold hard facts. They are bits and pieces of information that in and of themselves convey no sense of direct judgement. They convey no substantive sense of right or wrong by themselves. On the other side is truth, and I believe what truth is, is an excercise in consideration of what the motives behind the actions that created the facts are. Facts are devoid of motive. Truth takes into account why the facts are as they exist. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Word salad

Well, they're both nouns.

A fact is an evidence=based data point. Truth is the match between assertion and reality.

Truth is spoken and fact just is

"you can't handle the truth!"-could never be a fact 🙂

Yes. Facts are only true in the reference they are intended for.

Interesting. I have pondered the difference myself, indeed, proposing the same question with friends. I think truth is based in fact but includes elements of opinion; fact is testable and verifiable.

Fact cannot be combated with reasoning for it is logic itself but truth depends on a person's perspective and experience. ..
I cheated I asked Google

I think, yes. I've spent a great deal of study on epistemology. Specifically objective and subjective. Truth comes from a subjective perception. Facts have more meat to them in terms of objective evidence.

Two different things.

A fact can be that it has snowed 8 inches. I think that is a lot (I live in New Jersey), where Canadians do not. We have two different opinions or perspectives. Is it true that 8 inches is a lot of snow?

Another fact is that there is a number written on the ground. I see the number 6, another person on the other side sees the number 9. Two different truths. We both can prove that the other is wrong. One of us has to change sides to see what the other is talking about.

There are no empirical truths, it is a strictly formal notiion. If by 'fact' you mean reality, we simply experience what is manafest, there is no hidden reality. That does not mean that the world does not exist, only that we can't know it as it exists.

cava Level 7 Mar 18, 2018

Yes, truth is lucid.

Fact is what IS; truth is what is perceived.

I agree with all points stated here. I think the context for what truth is may be personal more than fact in some cases. That said, truth does appear to have facts within it scope.

I think "truth" is a more abstract concept, but buth tned to try to descrive similar concepts.

I guess I would use the concept of gravity. Fact: what comes up must come down. But “truth” is the “reasons” or the structure behind it. if I throw something off the roof, it will fall. But gravity is the truth behind the fact. Truth is hard to know because of everything that is involved. Facts tell us certain ‘aspects’ of truth, but only bits and pieces.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39417
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.