Agnostic.com

33 2

Atheist wedding vows

I know I could search for and find many atheist wedding vows but I want y'alls ideas, thoughts, words. What would you say to your loved one while looking deep into their eyes?

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Do you mean looking into their eyes as in deep into their soul? If so, wouldn't that be the opposite of being an atheist?

No, I meant looking deeply into their eyes. It's a way to get closer to you're lover. Sorry to hear you've never done so

If you mean it... "I had been waiting for you all my life... and here you are wanting me as I am."

"I will never betray your trust."

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

My wife and I used the following from Kahlil Gibran from his book "The Prophet"
“Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.”
― Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

ebdb Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Y0u go to the registrar of births marriages and deaths and it takes five minutes to read and sign papers and then oyu are free to whoop i t up however you like

In 1978 when my late wife and I decided to marry we were living in West Virginia. At first we were told we could only be married by a member of the clergy, we going to be married in another state, a bit of a hassle back then. After some research we found the law had just changed to allow for judges to perform the ceremaony. We were married in the judges chambers, and the ceremany was simple with no reference to god. The judge was a progressive, and rather flamboyant gentleman, who was happe to perform a secular ceremony.

I am sure you can find any number of state or local officiants that will perform a secular marriage, not uncommon these days. Then you can add your own words, a very common practive today, in act many will allow you to write your own ceremony. What to say, you know your future spouse, look into your heart and add the words that capture what is special about your relationship.

Don't touch my shit!

I stole some vows from Wheel of Time but I should have spoken louder and maybe picked different words and probably should have filed that marriage license so we didn't have to file for common law later.

Lauxa Level 5 Mar 19, 2018

I got married in a civil wedding ceremony it took about five minutes to complete at our local town hall which is about 100 yards from where we live , no vows or anyhting just sign on the dotted line - the nicest part was that we then went to a photographer who posed us in different ways and it was kindly and nice more intimate.
Later we decided marriage wasnt for us because we felt - more tied and responsible than we had before, so we got divorced.

I don't like the idea of marriage. Making a commitment today is just that — a commitment for today — not a lifelong commitment; I can't genuinely make a commitment, even for myself, for the future. Each day I'm with someone, I should be making a commitment to her anew, with no impediment to leaving the relationship. I want to know that each day we're together we're chosing to be together, not because staying is easier than leaving but because we value one another and genuinely want to be a part of one anther's life. I never want to question whether she's with me only because it would be a hassle to leave, or to wonder in the back of my own mind what my subconscious motivations are.

A relaionship works best when a couple is honest and respectful with each other. If I got married, somwhere in there woudl be a promise to always be honest with each other.

My ex and I had simple vows as we were married by a Justice of the Peace under the big tree in my front yard.

What are you still doing here?

Isza Level 2 Mar 19, 2018

Pretty much any vow that leaves out God and biblical rules... focusing on love and karma.

Reading these comments put me off marriage even more (didn't know it was possible) many of you don't know when to cut your losses. It's almost masochistic!

You made an athiest get married you must be special

Depends on the person. That's a toughy.

"We vow to have each others' backs as long as we both shall love."

I've already found out that staying past the end of love and respect is dangerous, especially for the woman.

I was not married in a church, my ex is catholic and she has nuns priests etc in her family, my mother is a church elder form a very religious family, so you can imagine how a civil wedding in a garden went down.
I went with Gibran,

Let there be spaces in your togetherness. And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

I’ll be yours until the end of our marriage. No?

Ilove you. why would you have a wedding unless it helps you legally or for monitary reasons. you can take your partners name, where a ring, name any children after your partner, have a party anytime and by nature you love and want to live with your partner anyway. why would you want to pay some fool who really doesnt give a shit to tell you that you can be together when you probably are anyway?

Not sure this is Atheist, but I like it:

[davidpbrown.co.uk]

Nena Level 6 Mar 19, 2018

excellent

I'll love you as long as you can tolerate my shit and I can tolerate yours.

Just kidding.

I already done it... I am a songwriter.

Are you high?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39487
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.