Agnostic.com

33 2

Atheist wedding vows

I know I could search for and find many atheist wedding vows but I want y'alls ideas, thoughts, words. What would you say to your loved one while looking deep into their eyes?

ashortbeauty 8 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hope this works better than the other three.

My second wedding was a civil ceremony. No mention of any gods or religion.
Also had the word "obey" removed.
A friend timed the whole thing, from start to finsih, at 3 minutes, 52 seconds.
Then we all went on to a 9 1/2 hour reception. To this day, it is still the best
party I've ever been to.

Sounds great

My father in law didnt spoke to me on the wedding, he spoke a lot to my best man... I showed him right... I was the best son in law any of his daughters ever had... to his death and beyond... never gave him the chance to thank me though. Life is like that because shit happens... great wedding you had.

@GipsyOfNewSpain If anyone had any issues with the wedding ceremony, it never got back to me. I was closer to my mother-in-law than her two daughters. I also treated her better than they did.
The wedding really was great. It's a damned shame the marriage turned out to be otherwise.

@KKGator hey I was celebrating your good memory of your wedding... mine was still one of the highlights of my life. I married my wife not him, how I look at it and he came to visit us in the house I built for my family and I am sure he was satisfied how his first born was kept.... regardless of your marriage your wedding celebration lingers as a great time in your life and for that I salute you!

What we have together is so special that we need to pull the government into the process

I'll love you as long as you can tolerate my shit and I can tolerate yours.

Just kidding.

Even though this child may not be mine, at least it will be one more tax deduction for us.

Ha!

I promise to love, honor, and cherish you until such time as Tom Hiddleston comes to whisk me away.

And if I'm marrying Tom Hiddleston: I will love you so powerfully that I will WILL heaven into being just to stay with you longer

Or Benedict Cumberbatch or Viggo Mortenson lol

"i'll love you untill one minute after you stop loving me...I'promise'"

I’ll be yours until the end of our marriage. No?

"We vow to have each others' backs as long as we both shall love."

I've already found out that staying past the end of love and respect is dangerous, especially for the woman.

I was not married in a church, my ex is catholic and she has nuns priests etc in her family, my mother is a church elder form a very religious family, so you can imagine how a civil wedding in a garden went down.
I went with Gibran,

Let there be spaces in your togetherness. And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.

Love one another, but make not a bond of love: let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.

Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.

Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

Not sure this is Atheist, but I like it:

[davidpbrown.co.uk]

Nena Level 6 Mar 19, 2018

excellent

Are you high?

Honest , accurate communication, affection, stimulation, not perfect, admit errors. problem solve. Could be interesting. Thinking back I may have wiggled away from a couple that thought they had me pinned down. That sanctimonious flim flam that comes with religion somehow gave me cause to catch my sense of reality and escape.

Vous should be as deep as your thoughts and feelings for you want to be as honest as possible.

"I will never betray your trust."

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 7, 2018

I stole some vows from Wheel of Time but I should have spoken louder and maybe picked different words and probably should have filed that marriage license so we didn't have to file for common law later.

Lauxa Level 5 Mar 19, 2018

A relaionship works best when a couple is honest and respectful with each other. If I got married, somwhere in there woudl be a promise to always be honest with each other.

My ex and I had simple vows as we were married by a Justice of the Peace under the big tree in my front yard.

Reading these comments put me off marriage even more (didn't know it was possible) many of you don't know when to cut your losses. It's almost masochistic!

You made an athiest get married you must be special

Depends on the person. That's a toughy.

I already done it... I am a songwriter.

If you mean it... "I had been waiting for you all my life... and here you are wanting me as I am."

My wife and I used the following from Kahlil Gibran from his book "The Prophet"
“Let there be spaces in your togetherness, And let the winds of the heavens dance between you. Love one another but make not a bond of love: Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls. Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup. Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf. Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone, Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music. Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping. For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts. And stand together, yet not too near together: For the pillars of the temple stand apart, And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.”
― Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet

ebdb Level 7 Apr 7, 2018

Do you mean looking into their eyes as in deep into their soul? If so, wouldn't that be the opposite of being an atheist?

No, I meant looking deeply into their eyes. It's a way to get closer to you're lover. Sorry to hear you've never done so

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39487
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.