Agnostic.com

9 8

LINK A Louisiana Parish Jailed a U.S. Citizen for Being Latinx. We’re Suing. | American Civil Liberties Union

Ramon Torres, a U.S. citizen, was detained for four days — despite carrying a U.S. passport, a driver’s license, and a Social Security card.

The sheriff’s office explained that they had a policy of detaining all Latinx people for immigration review.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

While I love New Orleans, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama are incredibly backward places full of some ot the most ignorant and evil people on the planet. One no longer has to spend time there, which I have, to know this.

I used to enjoy traveling to the US for vacations because it's close enough for me in case of emergencies at home. I haven't been back there since Trump took over. In the past, I've gotten pulled out of flight boarding lineups to be checked, until I showed them my Canadian passport and they let me go. I travel alone sometimes, and once I got stuck at customs (US Customs is right at the airports in Canada so you go through customs even before flying out) and the officer kept asking me over and over and over again if I had a "friend" where I was going (I was heading to Santa Fe to do photography with my new fancy ass camera). Being Asian or whatever minority (my skin gets much darker in the summer) traveling alone, I could be smuggling drugs, you know, for my "friend". Of course, I had my Canadian passport, proof that I paid for my tickets including for a return flight, booked my hotel as well as my tours, etc. Didn't matter. I've also been stopped at the border while traveling by car and was made to fill in papers and answer questions, sign forms saying that I would not attempt to try to live in the US (I live in Canada, and am a Canadian citizen, why on earth would I want to live in the US?!?!?!?!).

All this was before Trump. I don't even want to know the kinds of things I might face going into the US these days. I don't want to know. BTW, I actually love Louisiana. I want to go back to New Orleans and surroundings again so badly.

It's Fucking Louisiana they used to lynch blacks and Italians for no reason, one of the homes of hate and intolerance

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 29, 2019

Love, love love the ACLU,and I donate...you?

I know Latin...not sure about Latinx though

Latinx is the gender-neutral alternative to Latino, Latina and even Latin@. (The Huffington Post) The word “Latinx” (pronounced “La-teen-ex&rdquo😉 has been used more and more lately.

So, I guess we should be glad they didn't lynch this guy. WOW! Just fucking WOW!! Disgusting and I sure hope there is a large settlement.
I think the only way to get thru to these people is make them pay - once white tax payers have to bear the brunt of their racist behavior maybe things will change or not. SMH

We live in very difficult times and I don't have any idea how long it is going to take for us to turn the corner on this type of thing.

What the sheriff's office should have explained is why they are racist white supremacists. The man had enough ID on him and it should not have taken 4 days to check him out and verify it. If he was white he would have been released the same day. In fact, I venture to say that if he was white he would not have been jailed.

Totally unacceptable. The people involved in jailing the person should be jailed themselves.

@wordywalt - or they should at least lose their job and not be allowed work in that field again.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:395266
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.