Agnostic.com

23 2

So I'm trying to cut expenses and went looking in a retirement community for a cheaper home since Iwill soon be 55. Some of them were quite nice. It's not a bad deal. My biggest apprehension is that I will get depressed being around only older people, my biggest hope is that I will meet people my age and perhaps make some friends. Anyone here live in a 55+ community? If so, can you share your experience?

lhcoastal 6 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am 81 years old, and I will NEVER go into a retirement community. It constitutes a total loss of independence and real stimulation. It has No appeal to me whatsoever.

My sister, who is a year older, decided that she wanted to go into an assisted living facility to make life easer. Just this past week, she is extremely depressed and suffering panic attacks, realizing that she is probably stuck there for the rest of her life.

I am 80 and pretty much feel the same way, but life circumstances dictate what one does at any given moment.

I totally feel that. I'm struggling to make ends meet though and I don't see another option. This place is a pretty active community so I'm hoping it won't be as depressing as I know it might be.

I moved to an over 55 village in 2009, it was a little different, at some oint it was opened for all ages, but due to the low maintenance configuration, 80% were still over 55. It was fine, old people can be quite cantankerous, and a lot of neighgbours died or moved into nursing homes while I was there. I made friends that I still keep in touch with ocassionally, and certainly friendly if we meet at random in town. Almost 5 years ago I moved back into surburbia, where every neighbour was over 70, they have all except one, now moved into sursing homes and young families have bought the houses. The older people were much better neighbours. Though I do get on with the younger ones, their kids are noisy and inconsiderate. Bring back the oldies.

@arronpaul46 Lol

Move South and get an RV

Nah, I'm serious. South, not middle America, lol. Besides all of the RV parks have storm shelters. No more packing for vacation, you just hook up and move your home 🙂

@Medicdad RVing is not my thing. Besides, its a bad idea to move away from your family as you age.

I live in a town where the average age is 55. It makes me feel comfortable. Before this I lived in a college town, average age at most high 20's or low 30's. I was in my mid 50's when I moved there. That made me feel old.

That's kind of what I'm feeling. I've lived here to long and can't seem to meet new people as I work from home. I feel that if I cut my expenses, I can work less and have more time for a social life.

@lhcoastal True. They are not going to come knocking at your door and they were that would be scary.🙂

@lhcoastal good idea, I have cut my expenses way down, and work far less now, and it is so good to have time to do things, never had that when younger.

Ageism, the new racism.
I am 4th-term President of an "over-55" Singles group here in Connecticut, one of the younger members at almost-70. These people wear me out, dancing, dining,games, travel & go-go-go. Mostly women, mostly liberal politically. Who cares where you live as long as there is transportation?

You're absolutely right. I just remember how my parents seem to fall into a mode of watching the ambulances go buy when they moved into their retirement community. My only apprehension is that I don't want to feel old. I was looking at the groups in this particular community though it and does look like fun.

I am 62 years old, I will leave my farm boots up. I would never even consider living in a retirement community I would be dead from bordom is 3 months.

I'm dead from boredom now.

I didn't like it, most residents frequently mentioned 'it's gods waiting room'
And not cheap, had to pay extra $85 week for lunches of pureed crap.

@atheist That is also how Florida is referred too.

@fudomyoo it's an active community, not an assisted living apartment or anything like that. You have you're own home. My daughter will be living with me. I'm sorry you had a bad experience.

@lhcoastal it was a nice place as I was homeless, after 3 years I'm happily renting on my disability war pension. Wishing you and yours the best 🙂

@Fudomyoo Thank you for your service and sacrifice. I'm sorry for your experience but happy that you've regained your independence.

I just downsized, but to a smaller regular home closer to the center of town. As for making new friends, that's why they invented bars. And gyms. And coffee shops. Good luck regardless of where you wind up.

Thank you

In Daytona, Florida, they're building a Margaritaville community for people 55 and over.

As long as there is transportation you can continue to go where you please......

Look hard and go and visit a few times. Looks are very deceiving. Yes you can get into some nice looking on the outside but not so population wise. If your going to move out of state which can be great again you have to go a few times and live in the immediate area for a week or more to really get a feel for what is going on. Size again is another problem and very important. Don't believe floor plans or lay outs which are deceiving. Stay away from newly constructed places which still need alot of work or faulty work that you are not aware of. Once you move plan to move again and then maybe again.

Good advice, thank you.

I own my own home in a college town and live with 2 20-somethings (my son and his fiance). They are pure energy and I love being around them and so do my neighbor friends. They will graduate soon and I expect I will be fully empty nesting soon. Then I hope to downsize and move into a small condo. I would get depressed being around older people, too. Variety is the spice of life. Maybe follow your gut.

Thanks for taking the time to share your opinion. Very much appreciated.

A lot depends upon what type of "Retirement Community" you are interested in. Assuming that you do not require "Assisted Living" I will describe two types with which I'm familiar.

1. Retirement communities for 55+ in which you purchase your home and live totally independently. This type of community looks very attractive to me, but have not found one in a geographical area where I would prefer to live in the only one with which I am familiar, the homes are very reasonably priced, andnthere are group activities in which you can decide to participate or not. Here is the website for one of those in Springfield, IL:

[timbercreekliving.com]

1. Independent living apartments that include amenities. I am definitely not ready for this, but my in-laws who had been living in a condo moved into one about four years ago. Prices include three meals a day, transportation to appointments and for shopping, and a multitude of group activities. They were very lonely in the condo, and actually waited a few years longer than they should have before moving to independent living. He was 95 years old at the time they moved, but unfortunately died two months after they moved. My mother-in-law is still there, and LOVES IT! Yes, she has had to deal with the deaths of close friends, but projecting your age into the last decade of your life, would you rather have no friends in your age group, or have friends you know will only be with you for short period of time. Compare this to owning a pet. My dog is three years old and I love her very much. Knowing that she will die 10 to 12 years from now, I'm willing to accept that to have her in my life during her much shorter lifespan. Considering everything you get, price is very reasonable. Because my father-in-law was a World War II combat veteran, they were able to qualify V.A. grant that pays almost the entire cost of living there. After his death, his widow was able to continue the V.A. grant. Another important benefit I noticed since I have been living there, is that as an elderly person transitions from independent to assisted living, the management of the facility allows the resident to stay as long as they do not require intensive medical attention. Here is the website describing that facility:

[fivestarseniorliving.com]

Thank you for that comprehensive overview. I'm looking at the first scenario and there are no shortages of these communities where I live. Some are very active with many clubs and outings. The one I'm looking at has 7 lakes, boating, acting clubs, library, etc. The example you gave about owing a pet makes sense to me.

I like having the younger folks around, but I understand not everyone does.

I think it depends on the community. My parents moved to The Villages in Florida and that is a hopping place! There is always something to do, some group to join, some sport to play (mostly golf and pickleball), there is music most every evening, lots of shopping, etc. The weird thing was not really seeing younger people, (I teach at a college, so I missed the under 30's), except in service roles. I also found it extremey culturally homogeneous and more than a little contrived. All the "villages" and surroundings are brand spanking new, but made to look old and established. Kind of like a movie set.

Yeah, the culturally homogenous thing would be a bummer. Something to look out for. Thank you.

I live in a Del Webb 55 years and older community. I like it. There is a big clubhouse, an outdoor pool, and a heated indoor pool for the winter. There are dozens of clubs and organizations that have meetings in the clubhouse. They also have tennis, pickle ball, bocci, and shuffle board. Most of thev residents are very active.

Good for you! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like a great place.

Sorry I don’t live in one but I can’t imagine being happy there myself. I have friends of all ages and limiting myself to a particular age group sounds depressing to me. The wider my experiences are the better I feel.

I totally get it it.

what I can say is that the community life takes someone who can do the socializing and functions. Now at 67, I live alone in the country with my hobbies and dog. Most happy because I get to do and go as I wish, No responsibilities . To live in a community of like aged people is good but you are too young for that. It will get boring if you are not a socialite.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 19, 2018

I'm not a socialite unless I have a couple of vodka tonics, lol.

I went online to check out government subsidized retirement apartments Lexington, KY, where I hope to move, and I want a roommate to share expenses.

I want to stay in NJ close to my kids and grandkids.

That is not an issue for me. I have both independance and community involvement. We have a 55+ small retirement community in the village. It has a beautiful meeting area and the apartments are 1 or 2 bedroom units. There is even a hospice unit there for the handicapped. One has everything one wants. Problem is, the 1 bedrooms are $1,200 and the 2 bedrooms are $1,600 (without amenities). I can easily live on less than the 1 bedroom units and it includes everything there. The downside is I am responsible for all upkeep on the property.

That sounds a bit high priced, especially if you're in charge of upkeep. The place I'm looking is mostly duplexes. The more expensive ones have 2 bedrooms, 2 bath and a one car garage. They do all the outside maintenance and fix inside maintenance issues for free as part of the HOA fees.

@lhcoastal Without amenities I meant things like utilities. They are apartments and the complex takes care of all maintenance. BTW we have the 2nd highest average housing prices in the state (remember the real estate rule of location, location location?). One reason Seattle is so high priced is because of the natural beauty and now job opportunities. I just read this city is no. 1 for prop. tax increases. The biggest issue here is affordable housing which I feel is a losing proposition. My brother is a real estate attorney and he hates HOA's. He says they often fight over the slightest details. No thank you for me.

I am over 55 and nixed the idea when I was having trouble paying my mortgaage. Not for me.

1. Over 55 communities are not inexpensive where I live. My mortgage would be higher unless its low income housing and those I've seen let drug addicts in and no pets.

2. These adjusted income housing - small apts with small kitchens and little storage space are depressing. Most residents are disabled and on assistance.

3. Unless you are talking about a new modern over 55 community with mostly couples you may be disappointed. And your mortgage may be higher.

Anywhere the loud obnoxious stereos are not.

It was run by the commercial arm of a well known church disparagingly called locally "the Scottish Jews". The neighbours were mainly inoffensive but trouble came in the form of a 35 yo mentally subnormal man and his more intelligent 7 Hobson who we were told would visit 3 times a year. He lived with him for at least three days per week. He and his son would have screaming matches at 1am. No words were spared by either party. The son had a classis habit of smearing his faeces around and was,fortunately, caught trying to set a fire in the lounge before it brought the whole place down. He was replaced by a widow still missing having her husband to boss around seven years after his death. She caused problems. The greatest problem however were the CEO, housing manager and some of their employees who seemed to believe that a rent increase was in fact a reduction of rent, that the tenant's rights under the tenancy laws be ignored. They ultimately tried to evict me on the basis that I was standing up for my own and fellow tenants rights. The magistrate had to ask them to repeat that statement to make sure that he had correctly heard. He then threw them out of court. I then had the chairwoman of the board try to get me to sign a new lease thus nullifying the court ruling. She is no longer on the board but still considered to be a very important person around town.
So there is my experience for what it is worth to you. For the last three and a half years I have lived on my own in a stand alone villa...still managed by the same organisation - they try to avoid having anything to do with me other than supply a statement of account each year and run an inspection.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39567
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.