Agnostic.com

11 3

QUESTION $100 million Ark, which was completed last year using tens of millions in taxpayer funds

This is a tax-payer funded park, trying to lure students into creationism!

WTF?!

"This Ark is really a Trojan Horse, emblematic of the Religious Right’s efforts to push our kids into creationist schools.

Thousands of young students are already traveling to the $100 million Ark, which was completed last year using tens of millions in taxpayer funds, on land that the government gifted to Ham. Public school students are allowed in for $1, learning that the Earth is only 6,000 years old, dinosaurs once lived with man, and God’s flood killed all but those who made it on the Ark."

silvereyes 8 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

its a waste of money but a great engineering feet. it would just reinforce to me that religion is a load of crap. two brontosauruses, two elephants and there food for 40 days and it would be full. where did they get all that timber in the desert? how did the stop termites? what did the lions eat? what about animals that are hermaphrodites? and many many more questions.

The "Ark Encounter" is, BY FAR, one of the dumbest things that evangelicals have promoted as one of their beliefs. P.T. Barnum said that there is a sucker born every minute, and this preposterous "amusement park" is proof positive. They teach dinosaurs living with people and passengers on the boat. Further, their belief in a young earth (6000 years old) is terribly ridiculous and anti-intellectual. The children being "sold" this BS are the real losers. May it go bankrupt and close asap.

The evangelicals are pushing creationism to be taught in place of evolution in the south, their also pushing religion via the school voucher system. This adm. is allowing campaigning from the pulpit which is against the Constitution. Look at the new museum for the bible in D.C. They are against all science even in medicine which could save many lives. Religion and the harm it is doing daily is a crime that we are being forced to support. The church and Rev. are so good that they are given special favors and treated with so much respect in spite of what harm their church is doing.

I'm from Louisville and I'ml happy I left. Full of Christian fundamentalists who also largely voted for 45. Have never looked back...though the rest of the southern states are pretty much the same so it's hard to get away.

trying to prove an obvious fabrication is REALLY expensive

The first time I heard about this monstrosity I thought about an old chew-able vitamin commercial:

We are Flintstones kids.
7 billion strong and growing.

School sponsored trips to that site ARE advancing religion in general and that set of beliefs in particular. Such trips are clearly unconstitutional and should be challenged in court!

I agree 100% but theres no way challengers would win that battle with the amount of fundamentalist christians supporting it, not right now. I predict, with religion on decline nationwide, the place will eventually have to close down because there is not enough attendance and then it will be a big ass paperweight, or some rich atheist will buy it and make some better use out of it - I can think of alot of things that could be done with that thing.

Indeed!

Yea it's insane. I just spent 20 minutes doing "research" on YouTube lol and its insane how many videos there are by christians talking about how awesome it is. And now I have a headache, these people hurt my brain with their stupidity!

Its all about money. Supply and demand. People travel all over the world to see stuff tagged sacred or it happened here. We are the minority here and we have no gimmick. We have those that have free thinking and self control. Not being controlled. We have evolved from nonsense and deception. I feel alive with freedom and knowledge.

I thought that place was on its way to shutting down because they weren't getting enough attendance. I heard that on AXP and TTA and some other places. I haven't looked into it that much because I don't really care but now I'm curious.

I've seen video walkthroughs of this "museum" and, well, I don't know how to reconcile otherwise functional adults devoting time and effort to something this ridiculous. Noah's Ark is one of the worst ideas in Christianity, yet fundamentalists persist in the notions of a worldwide flood and housing every "kind" of animal on a rather small ship. I often wonder about Ken Ham in particular whether he's sincere or that he's taking advantage of fervent religiosity for his own financial gain. I'm honestly torn.

The story is so preposterous, even if we take the Fundamentalist Christians' idea that these were the ill-defined "kinds" rather than species, that still means that the lions and the lambs were on the ship together — but perhaps they were each in their own compartments away from one another, as would be reasonable. How much meat does a pair of lions need to survive a year? How much grass and clover do the sheep need for a year? Carry that on for giraffes and elephants and rhinos and buffalo, and on and on, and then, assuming the Ark was basically the TARDIS (i.e., bigger on the inside), just how could a single family manage to feed thousands of animals (being charitable with "kinds" here) every day? How could a single family clean the tons of feces and other waste every day? Of all of the paired animals, how many died during that year and an entire "kind" of animal was lost because it couldn't reproduce? Were the flood waters salty or fresh and, regardless of that answer, how did the other type of marine life survive? Were there freshwater tanks on the Ark? Of all of the nonsense in the Bible, this is the one that irks me the most because it requires people to suspend all critical thought, yet an overwhelming number of people believe it literally.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3962
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.