Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK 'Zionism is at the core of Jewish identity, so anti-Zionism is anti-Semitic' -- A response

"It seems like the attacks on Palestinian rights advocacy as a form of anti-Semitism just keep increasing. At my institution – University of Massachusetts Amherst – we had the lawsuit and political campaign to stop the event “Not Backing Down”. Ironically, this event, intended as a response to charges of anti-Semitism, was itself smeared as anti-Semitic. Recently the House overwhelmingly passed HR 246, the anti-BDS bill. (Even one member of “the Squad” voted for it, not to mention most (but not all) of the other progressive Democrats.) We are now facing a worse bill, the Anti-Semitism Awareness Act, which would direct the Department of Education to use the infamous IHRA definition of anti-Semitism when investigating complaints of anti-Semitism on campuses. That definition explicitly makes opposition to Zionism and the notion of a Jewish state a form of anti-Semitism.

What I find so fascinating – and disturbing – about all this activity is that if you seek a clear, fully articulated argument for characterizing anti-Zionism and Palestinian advocacy as forms of anti-Semitism, you won’t find one. Mostly it’s just name calling, with liberal use of the term “delegitimizing”."

WilliamCharles 8 Sep 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m no expert but I suspect if you were to ask a secular Jewish person they would dispute the political idea of Zionism.

I may of course be wrong.

As leader of Jewish by Culture I am anti-Zionist. Do not like what the apartheid government is doing-ashamed the Israel I used to live in years ago is gone with Bibi in charge. I am not anti-Semitic. The two have nothing to do with each other!

There's a lot of doublespeak. More discussion on the declaration of universal human rights and how to respect those principles would be helpful.

I agree this does not make sense to me.

@sassygirl3869 It's the phrase "the chosen ones" that gets to me. If that is a fundamental idea to one's religion, can that ideology coexist with equality?

@thinkwithme It always bothered me - seemed elitist.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:397143
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.