Agnostic.com

15 1

Do You Have An After-Deconversion Song?

I'll never forget the moment I let go of my indoctrinated beliefs. I had never felt such liberation in my life. I was free to be me, to regain my identity. I think I wept happy tears, off and on, for 2 weeks afterward.

In his superbly made deconversion video series on YouTube, Prplfox states:

"If an idea can’t stand on its own truthfulness, it has to find another way to survive. And often the way that happens is by the gradual, unintentional, or intentional refinement of the hijacking of our emotional architecture.

Possibly the most effective, most powerful way a belief could do this would be to devalue or eliminate all other sources of self-affirmation—which Christianity does with devastating efficacy—so that there is no hope or beauty, or meaning, and more importantly, no integrity of the self without it.

If a belief can do this to you, you will have almost no chance of being able to critically evaluate its truthfulness. Christianity alters your identity to ensure the survival of itself."

There's a quote by ex-evangelical pastor, Dan Barker that I can also relate to, and I'm sure many other ex-believes can, too:

"How happy can you be when you think every action and thought is being monitored by a judgmental ghost?"

This is my deconversion song, the video is equally as symbolic. I've been making up for lost time ever since.

Sweet disposition
Never too soon
Oh, reckless abandon
Like no one's watching you

VictoriaNotes 9 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Religion doesn't interest me- but in fact I have grown to the point where I tolerate people attached to religion who, even though they have a connection to religion, are basically decent human beings. These are NOT the ones who try to recruit and put another notch on their bible.(another person 'saved'; it enhances there their tiny egos)

And as far as a song, "It Ain't Necessarily So", an' it ain't.

Dear God by XTC

"Here I go again" on my own, going down this lonely road I've ever known. Like a hobo I was born to walk alone, and I've made up my mind, I ain't wasting no more time.......by Whitesnake. I have loved this song for twenty years and it fits my atheist walk perfectly.

I never really had a moment of de-conversion. It was a gradual process with one pivotal event pushing me to another path. It took an atheist from a Moslem country to finalize the transformation. Music has always been a big part of my life pre and after the conversion so no one piece of music. Actually just the opposite; I used to love the 'Messiah", now not so much and I hate Gregorian chant. However, I am a regular attendee of the FFRF conventions and the music always get me. I even bought a couple of CD's year and really enjoy them.

Imagine by John Lennon:

In the early stages of my deconversion I listened to this song "religiously".
It's called Be Concerned by Twenty One Pilots

Didn't have a favorite song of this type until recently. The song is "Affirmation" by Savage Garden.

The first song that I heard on the radio that really spoke to me was Eye in the Sky by the Alan Parsons Project.

It's not really a deconversion song for me since I don't really remember being a theist. If I ever was, I'm thankful a coma took that from me.

Holy shit, I love this post! I can't post a link to it- you can find it on YouTube though- but it's "Hold The Heathen Hammer High" by Tyr. Mind you it's more of a pagan song than an atheist one, but atheists are often considered heathens, so I figured, what the hell. I found this song while my therapist was being a dick about me being an atheist, so I found this song and was like, "FUCK YOU BITCH! HOLD THE HEATHEN HAMMER HIGH!"

Ya, I wrote one. But it looks forward, not back on the crap that happened. To be honest, if it was written much earlier, it would have...

The song that I can relate to is on a Queensryche cd, called Spreading the disease. Those words are so true and its one the best lyrics regarding the truth about corruption of the masses, society and power.

Even though I don't actually believe in free will (it's complicated), I think "Freewill" by Rush could be a suitable anthem:

No particular moment for me - just a gradual feeling of this is bullshit from about 10 and giving up completely by 19 or so. So, no song represents that moment for me.

Interesting song.

This is my favorite After Deconversion song.

It's alittle bit different then yours lol.

So sky daddy's only talking to your group huh?
And everything in your holy book is the truth huh?
And we gonna burn if we don't listen to you huh?
Well every other group is claiming that too bruh.

LOL, love that line.

I love me some Tombstone Da Deadman. That song and Controlled,

are one of many songs that randomly play in my car and have offended my co-workers and their idiotic beliefs. My favorite rappers who mainly stick to religion are Greydon Square and Syqnys.

Christianity is stupid- negativeland

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3973
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.