Agnostic.com

74 7

What are some of your favorite movie quotes?

What are some of your favorite movie quotes and why are they meaningful to you? I quite enjoy Brad Pitt's Achilles in Troy when he discusses the impermanence of being mortal:

"I'll tell you a secret, something they don't teach you in your temple: The gods envy us. They envy us because we're mortal, because any moment might be our last. Everything's more beautiful because we're doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again."

I think it highlights that life's value comes from its impermanence. Seize the day, because there will never be another like it.

resserts 8 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

74 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of gevernment! Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not some farcical aquatic ceremony - you can't expect to weild supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Perfect!

@Nurse-Quantros ...deserving of more than a "thumbs-up"!

She turned me into a newt!
... I got better...

and that my liege is how we know the earth to be banana shaped

"Looks like I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue." - Airplane!

Don't call me Shirley!

"We've got to get all these people to the hospital!
The hospital? What is it?
It's a place where they take sick people, but that's not important right now

Oh, king eh? Very nice. And how'd you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers. By hanging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever gonna be any progress...

Hilarious!

I was wondering where to find this one and scrolled down and there it was Thank you - made my day!

@jacpod You're welcome. Making other's day makes my day.

Get busy living, or get busy dying. Shawshank Redemption. My favorite movie.

Like all of V for Vendetta. And then all of marvel movies

"By holding a gun to humanity and calling it protection. Yeah, we compromised. Sometimes in ways that made us not sleep so well. But we did it so the people could be free. This isn't freedom, this is fear."

"Compromise where you can. And where you can’t, don’t. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right, even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say, no. You move.”

"People should not be afraid of their governments; governments should be afraid of their people." So many great quotes in that movie.

@resserts yep. I use V for Vendetta as an analogy for today, but it seems some use it as a prophecy

@resserts I like the scene where he says, "Ideas are bulletproof!".

"If someone asks you if you're a god. you. say. YES."

Great movie!

Great movie!

Tyler Durden in fight club:
All the ways you wish you could be, that's me. I look like you wanna look, I fuck like you wanna fuck. I am smart, capable, and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Fight Club is very quotable. 🙂

And the first rule of fight club.....

@JimmyM You just talked about fight club!

"On a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

In the sprit of this site , the only noteworthy quote of Star Trek V :

Ohub Level 7 Mar 19, 2018

Great scene! I love the anti-authoritarian bits from Star Trek.

Ok, this will probably be the last one I share (maybe).

@jorj. I agree!

"Don't Dream It, Be It. " Dr. Frank N. Furter

I'm your huckleberry

This is probably my favorite movie quote of all time. From John Carpenter’s 1988 classic “They Live”

Is that Rowdy Roddy Piper?

@Paul628 Indeed it is:

@Paul628 yup

Jennifer Garner 'I was just masturbating'
Ricky Gervais 'that makes me think of your vagina'

the opening conversation in the film the invention of lying

I never saw the movie, but now I think I have to go see it. Ha!

@resserts it is an incredible film. hope you enjoy.

That was so funny! I'd forgotten about that one.

Best movie and script ever!

What we have here... Is a failure to communicate. "Cool Hand Luke", a must see movie classic.

Good movie!

Someone stop me...Lol

Haha! All I could think of was this based on your comment:

@resserts. Lol!

Grandma’s Boy is a great movie lmao

Haha, that's a good quote. 😛

@resserts hhahhhaha

I actually really like Grandma's Boy — one of my favorite silly movies to watch when I need a break from the seriousness of life.

Oh no he didn't! Lol

It's a tie between these two:

"Nice speech, Eve. But I wouldn't worry too much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be." - All About Eve

And this one:

There are a couple here...
CAUTION STRONG LANGUAGE.

I thought cows couldn't be led downstairs? How did I miss this.

"They're American, these crayfish... And just like the Americans, they've eaten all the Natives... but they've still got room for more." -- Rock'n'Rolla

"If I asked you about art, you’d probably give me the skinny on every art book ever written. Michelangelo, you know a lot about him. Life’s work, political aspirations, him and the pope, sexual orientations, the whole works, right? But I’ll bet you can’t tell me what it smells like in the Sistine Chapel. You’ve never actually stood there and looked up at that beautiful ceiling.

If I asked you about women, you’d probably give me a syllabus of your personal favourites. You may even have been laid a few times. But you can’t tell me what it feels like to wake up next to a woman and feel truly happy.

You’re a tough kid. If I asked you about war, you’d probably throw Shakespeare at me, right? “Once more unto the breach dear friends”. But you’ve never been near one. You’ve never held your best friend’s head in your lap, watch him gasp his last breath looking to you for help.

I’d ask you about love and you’d probably quote me a sonnet. But you’ve never looked at a woman and been totally vulnerable, known someone that could level you with her eyes. Feeling like God put an angel on earth just for you, who could rescue you from the depths of hell. And you wouldn’t know what it’s like to be her angel, to have that love for her, be there forever, through anything, through cancer. And you wouldn’t know about sleeping sitting up in the hospital room for two months, holding her hand, because the doctors could see in your eyes that the terms ‘visiting hours’ don’t apply to you. You don’t know about real loss, ’cause it only occurs when you’ve loved something more than you love yourself. And I doubt you’ve ever dared to love anybody that much.

When I look at you I don’t see an intelligent, confident man. I see a cocky, scared shitless kid. But you’re a genius Will. No one denies that. No one could possibly understand the depths of you. But you presumed to know everything about me because you saw a painting of mine, and you ripped my fucking life apart.

You’re an orphan right? You think I know the first thing about how hard your life has been, how you feel, who you are, because I read Oliver Twist? Does that encapsulate you? Personally, I don’t give a s about all that, because you know what, I can’t learn anything from you I can’t read in some fucking book.

Unless you want to talk about you, who you are. Then I’m fascinated. I’m in. But you don't wanna do that, do you, sport? You're terrified of what you might say. Your move, chief." -- Good Will Hunting

"I know nothing of God... or the Devil. I have never seen a vision, nor learned a secret, that would damn or save my soul. And as far as I know, after four hundred years, I am the oldest living vampire in the world. The world changes, we do not; therein lies the irony that finally kills us." -- Interview with the Vampire

"I see all this potential, and I see it squandered. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables - slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war... Our great depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars, but we won't. We're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off." -- Fight Club

Yes, Fight Club! I always think of that movie when I look at the door of my fridge and see a dozen different kinds of mustards and dressings in there.

"There's no mystical energy field that controls my destiny. It's all a lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Here are just 3:

"I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.....and I'm all out of bubblegum." - George Nada (Rowdy Roddy Piper) from They Live

"Remember when I promised to kill you last Sally? I lied!" "What did you do with Sally? I let him go." - John Matrix (Arnold Schwarzenegger) from Commando, the greatest movie ever lol

"Now yous can't leave!" - Sonny (Chazz Palminteri) from A Bronx Tale

Great selection!

"Marcel, Burn it down"

• "Oui Shoshanna"
  • 1:42 ( it won't let me do the time marker )
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39868
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.