Agnostic.com

6 1

What is/are your favorite word/s for 'love'?

There are, believe it or not, 2,317 synonyms for the word 'love' in English alone. Yet there's confusion about its meaning.

For example, in the discussion on the healing properties of 'love' and 'aloe vera gel', we hear this from @resoluterecovery:

'Interestingly there is no such thing as "love" as an emotion. We confuse other real emotions and then "interpret" those into this "love" thingamajig.
Silly little endorphins. Lust, want, desire, fear of loosing, fulfillment of inner insecurities...... yep! But not LOVE.....
And the only CURE is TIME....'

to this, @Paul628 responded:

'You just stated that there is no such thing as love, then went on to describe exactly what love is. An emotion made up of other emotions.'

So, what is it?
A noun, a verb, something non-existent (like gods), an emotion made up of other emotions,..?

Maya405 7 Nov 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Serotonin

Mine is ADORE....I know it means the same thing but to me it IS BIGGER! And to hear people say Jesus loves you really irritates me.

to me love is just an idea.

I think all emotions are ultimately biological in nature, but "love" is a word that gets confused because it's all over the place (from a mother's care for her child to a lover's lust for his paramour). Love is too versatile to be defined clearly without limiting the scope of what we mean. But, if I had to choose another word to describe love in very general terms, I'd say "compersion" comes closest for me. Compersion is the feeling of happiness when experiencing someone else's happiness. I like the idea that love, in almost any context, boils down to simply wanting another person to be happy and feeling elated when they are.

Hmm, I think I misread the post...my bad. If I were to say what love itself is, I'd say what AMGT said- it's a chemical reaction of sorts. It's a beautiful and mind boggling chemical reaction, but it's a chemical reaction nonetheless.

Um...sodomy? Jk jk 😀

I honestly prefer the word love itself, but if I were forced to pick another word, I'd say...devotion. I like being devoted to one woman only. I want to treat her as well as I possibly can, and have eyes for her only. I would also expect a certain amount of devotion from her. Not necessarily to the same degree as my devotion, but at least to the point where she's not thinking about cheating or anything.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:3995
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.