Agnostic.com

108 12

How would you reply to a theist who says, "You send yourself to hell"?

I don't really believe in an afterlife. I've had talks with my close friends, asking them why a good God sends people to hell. The reply is always, "you send yourself". This statement irks me so much!! How would you respond to that?

Biblebeltskeptic 6 Sep 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

108 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is your god, it is your hell. It exists only in your mind and no where else. It has nothing to do with me, it doesn't affect me in any way and does not concern me at all.

True.

No, I'm actually taking the highway to hell. It's faster.

There is no hell

The only hell that exists is the ignorant present company of believers who voted TrumpOLINI turning up the pollution temperature of poison earth

Please don't post spoilers.😀

Sounds like a bunch of 'covfefe' to me!

Wow, that sounds like an abusive relationship where the husband kicks the shit out of his wife, then yells at her, “Why do you make me hit you?” “I love you.”

Exactly.

My reply has always been with a question. Why would a benevolent god create a horrible place like hell for his/her children in the first place? Why would a god create evil?

Yes.

People invent the fictions and terrors of religion....the entire idea of a creator of something out of nothing is stupid beyond measure

" I ll take Marriage for 800 Alex ".😂✌🏻

"I don't believe in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds. I chose rational thought, not magical beliefs. There is no heaven or hell. Leave me alone."

There are many rational responses to offer, but in the end I would always be kind. An insulting response will only deepen an already tarnished view they have of agnostics/atheists. Some theists do eventually leave their faith, as many of us here did, and if you're kind they're more likely to consider your words.

Show them how good, kind and respectful people can be even without religion.

Love that response. I'd have a hard time being kind about that.

@Biblebeltskeptic Yeah, me too sometimes. Building bridges is always harder than burning them.

I would probably say, " whatever" and go on to another subject. I don't feel defensive about my beliefs, and I don't need to defend them. I am happy to get into a discussion about religion, but, with a self important, smug christian, who feels very entitled and superior, will never listen anyway. They are just looking for a heathen to brow beat and force their beliefs on. I have no desire to convert them, and they will never succeed in converting me, so I don't supply them with a punching bag. I just let them know that I don't care what they believe, and they will never bully me into succumbing to agreeing with them, so I just shrug my shoulders and say " okay" or "whatever" and go on with my life. I have a feeling that pisses them off a little.

That's good you're not bothered by it.

Anytime I can't think of an argument or a devastating comeback, I use the following technique:

1. Echo the last thing they just said in a 'whiny little bitch' voice.

2. Repeat until they go away,

Look them straight in the eye and say "Do you really want to get into a discussion about free will versus predetermination? Because the greatest minds of Christendom have struggled to square that particular circle. A circle that, funnily enough, vanishes as soon as you take god out of the picture."

As the song goes, "In hell I'll be in good company.'

Better than being a mindless drone forced to be happy, while loved ones are burning in hell.

Shrug and walk away. I'm not the jackass whisperer.

Look at him/her and say:"suck my what"?

The last time a Faithfool pulled a similar thing on me I simply replied with " That's okay, I'll save you a seat close to the fires if you'd like."
Haven't seen hide nor hair of that Faithfool since then and, to be 100% honest, I like the space they've left behind since their departure.

You're going to have to show me some evidence. 🙂

My response would be which one?

The White House or Betsy deVos DEPARTMENT of Education? 2 hells on earth busy burning truth for greedy lies

@GreenAtheist haha. I was thinking more along the lines of other religions, but sure, hell is whatever you believe it to be right?

I don't even discuss this as it is a no win situation with people who are firm believers. As far as hell, we create it for ourselves in this life time by choices we make or things we do. I do believe in hell on earth but not in the afterlife - which I should mention I don't believe in either.

"You choose to believe in things that don't exist. I don't believe in hell,
or heaven, or your make-believe god. Leave me alone."

Or I might just cut right to the chase and tell them to "fuck off".

It's really going to depend on my mood in that moment, and whether I've
been sufficiently caffeinated when it happens.
Too many variables.

More fun people there

"See ya there!"

Hmmm, I might say go f**k yourself.

You can't reason with stupid. I would just mock the stupid hypocrite with lyrics from Billy Joel: "They say there's a heaven for those who will wait, some say it's better but I say it ain't I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints, the sinners are much more fun. Only the good die young."

My musings on this question always center around why would a loving, compassionate being whose FORGIVENESS and MERCY never end and are everlasting (both characterizations in scripture), who is all powerful and can destroy or create anything he wishes would even allow for a place like hell to exist or allow me to go there. If my child decided he wanted to walk on a train track while a train is approaching, I am not going to fucking watch and do nothing with my arms crossed donning an attitude of indifference and claim “I gave him a chance to avoid this. He is choosing his fate. Nothing left for me to do”.

I ask you, how can otherwise rational, intelligence people subscribe to such an awful edict???

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:399755
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.