Agnostic.com

87 10

Why do men get so mad when they get rejected?

This is probably already a question circulating but I thought I'd ask myself.

I see this all too often, when a guy PMs a girl with some sort of compliment or come on, and girls can be as sweet as ever with their let down that they are not interested and the guy will come back with profanity and put downs, calling her ugly or fat. I don't get it. Please explain.

valerina 7 Mar 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

87 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

That's the sad part...you don't know who the scary ones are until you reject them....

If that kind of thing happened to me, and it has (I liek guys too), I just tell them they only just confirmed my judgement(s), that they are not really a good person or the kidn of peson I want in my life... even for one night. (add, edit or delete parts as appropriate).

It's entitlement. They believe, whether or not they realize, that they are entitled to a relationship from somewhere. Hollywood teaches us that the girl (or the guy) is a prize. Charlatans teach otherwise perfectly respectable men how to close the deal as if sex and relationships are commodities women trade for favors or something.
This and so many more things (traditional male dominance in western society, et al) have conditioned some men to believe they're owed a woman.

@Louie406 I'm also in a relationship that's fast becoming serious.

Before I became secure in who I am and what I want out of life, I also would get mad when I was rejected. I imagine it comes from the pain of feeling inadequate. It’s not just men that get mad in these scenarios, though. I think most people feel hurt or insecure when they risk their ego and get shot down.

I do not see the connection between feeling sad or frustrating and hurting other people? How is that natural? Another option would be, e.g. to cry a bit and get over it.

That is just bad upbringing. Or maybe none.

Most men just wanna fuck plain and simple

JfFun Level 2 Feb 9, 2019

There is an easy answer! Some "men" are actually very immature!

Atlas Level 3 Feb 9, 2019

I see it as a sense of entitlement, something that is becoming more common with the advent of social media and the anonymity that it provides, so people feel free to express their baser instincts. There's a lot of discussion lately about toxic masculinity, which I suspect comes from a lack of emotional intelligence.

I do not get that. As a human species, we are all attracted to different people. Sometimes it is a match, others it is not and that is ok. No need to be rude about it. I think a thank you for your candid reply is the best response.

I have no idea. Never done that in my life.

Oh I have been cussed out by a couple girls for not being interested, but it's different for men, I just rolled my eyes and went on my way.

It goes both ways. Men in general are used to rejection since we are expected to, and the vast majority of the time, have to make the first overture. This fact skews the numbers. Women can get just as nasty as men when rejected. Women are just not put in that position nearly as often as men. It isn't even close.

It happens in both directions. I've had women get downright nasty with me for not accepting their advances. I think there are jerks on both sides of the gender aisle. Most men handle it pretty well, as do most women. Most men are used to rejection. If he doesn't take it well, that just proves your judgment of character is spot on. He's someone you really didn't want to be involved with.

Duke Level 8 Jan 3, 2019

If i could explain I would be a wealthy self help author. Its not just what you've experienced.

Haha yes you would.

Some men are like this, I doubt most are immature enough to be blatantly aggressive. If nothing else men are taught NO can turn into yes bc women want to feel pursued and like the chase. That's not a defense of stalkers, it's just reality for human mating rituals. I've been pursuing a woman who said she didn't want to hike with me for a few weeks bc she continues to be outright flirty...

Humans generally aren't very mature. Men in many societies are taught anger is an appropriate reaction for almost anything. Heck some women like it when men get upset and compete for them.

Plus as others have said anger and fighting for mates seems common in nature, women acting coy is also natural.

Putting yourself out there is risky, rejection isn't fun and doing the rejection isn't fun for most either and few have the tools to process emotions well.

Personally, I can often tell if a woman wants me to ask her out although I'll never know about women who wanted me to but I was too clueless to notice. I think most women over 30 can flirt well enough they mostly have men they're somewhat interested in pursuing them and can give a polite brush off that most men will respect? Of course there's outliers in both genders.

We should be happy to be rejected. "I'm not interested" well "yahooie" I'm ugly! I'm boring, I'm poor,or this"too short"!!!!!! Actually I've turned rejection around. I'm my mind, I am being complimented

My answer in that situation is always: " Fuck you, dude. Crawl back under the bridge where you come from." That ends it.

@Litefoot555 do you not realize that spinliesel was saying that her replie to rudeness was to tell them fuck you? So she was not instigating the rudeness just giving it back to him.

@Litefoot555 You bring my next question to the plate: Is a woman obligated to like any man who approaches her? Somebody told me "Yes, she is."

I’m sure it’s not all men that do that . Only the immature ones with no code of honor or a real understanding who and what a man should be like . Plus , people get rude and fake online rather quickly. Virtual Social Life warps a lot of people’s psychological composition.

I personally do not engage in this type of behavior, but maybe I have indulged in something akin to it, and I have certainly felt the feelings. So, here is the step-by-step breakdown.

So, first of all, for a man to even approach a woman signalling some kind of desire, is a great risk. For exactly this reason: the woman will often be unreceptive to his attention (for various reasons). Every guy knows this, and many men, perhaps somewhat unrealistically, expect women to be aware that they are, indeed, taking a risk.

And rejection hurts-for it's not something superficial, it's an indictment of their essential being-they are not worth your time. That's a tough pill to swallow, especially when men's egos are fed their entire lives (here's looking at YOU, Mom). Men aren't generally taught how to express their negative feelings constructively, so many men (myself included) express emotional pain as anger. In particular, when a man is told he is sexually undesirable, he seeks to even the score by attacking what he perceives to be the focus of her own sexual desirability, her beauty.

It's like the dating equivalent of: "You can't fire me, I quit!".

I am not excusing this behavior, but you asked for an explanation.

You have not contributed anything we didn't know.

I'm guessing the posts you have been looking at in this regard are not done by particularly aware people. Hang out with a better crowd.

In my long years of experience, it is not just the men who get mad. Women do too. But women have usually a circle of other women to bounce off. these feeling Men mostly do do not, or would not ask for advice from their buddies, so the reactions are mostly different., stupid and severe.

Only insecure guys are prone to do that. Admittedly, that's a lot of guys. The rest of us have a more mature and realistic understanding of how this works - not going to match up all the time. Shrug and move on until I find someone that I do match up well with. That's really all anyone on these sites can and should do.

I think the reason why that is so prevalent to women is because they are dealing with a particular sample pool. A certain percentage of guys are very macho, aggressive, all into themselves, see women as only sex objects. They are in the bars and clubs looking for a piece of ass, and they work by volumn...testing a lot of women until one goes for it. That's why you deal with so many of them. And they think nothing of you as a person. Typically,when that "personality type" gets turned down, he will wonder what is wrong with this chick...can't she see that I am god's gift to women....and now my ego hurts so I must lash out to prove that I am indeed powerful.

I don't. I'm male, but if rejected by a female, I bid her peace, and move on. I'll also only accept a female that falls into my honor code. A proverbial needle in a crate of needles.

Rejection sucks but I've never taken it personally or lashed out like that. I've had women do it to me though. I can't say all men are like that or that all women are like that either. We're all human and there's always gonna be some shitty people out there. I tend to stay away from the shitty ones.

Men are taught to repress their emotions. The only acceptable emotion in the "big boys don't cry" crowd, which is most men, is anger.

Sad. Even sadder is the low number of men who are not raised that way, and the low number of men who overcome their programming.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:39984
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.