Agnostic.com

41 4

If you had to kill your own meat would you?

I am curious how many people would be vegan or vegetarian, if they had to slaughter their own meat, or watch it be killed? I know it doesn’t bother everyone. I have family that hunts, skins, and cleans their kill. I also do not preach to those who choose to eat meat. It’s your life, live it how you want. I do think many people choose to ignore the actual process of meat getting to the store, all cleaned up and packaged neatly. I also wonder for those who hunt yet claim to love animals, how does that go hand in hand? I’m not judging, I really am curious. Aberham Twerski said this regarding love: “‘Young man. Why are you eating that fish?’ The young mans says, ‘Because I love fish.’ He says, ‘Oh. You love the fish. That’s why you took it out of the water and killed it and boiled it.’ He says, ‘Don’t tell me you love the fish. You love yourself, and because the fish tastes good to you; therefore, you took it out of the water and killed it and boiled it.’

BohoHeathen 8 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments (26 - 41)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am a vegetarian and love all creatures and would not want to but from what I know a person will do anything if they are hungry enough and starving to death

OK, just on a side, rather comical note than my other comment. I do love my veggies, and can cook them rather well in many styles. But, on the grill, Yeah, Veggies are at best a side dish. BBQ pork, beef, fish, deer, etc. yeah you just can't get that from veggies.
Well, that and DAMN a whole hog on the spit glazed all day is just ugh damn good.lol

Only animals I kill are flies and aggressive hornets...I am a passive(occasional) meat-eater...if given the choice of kill or otherwise feed myself, I would gather nuts and berries...(but, like you, these are my choices...I make no judgment of others)...

I eat fish. I had a Japanese girlfriend. Before we eat a fish, she prays, "thank you fish for growing big and becoming our meal"...prayer to the spirit of the fish...

How many of you can say that you don't eat a hamburger, or have bacon or sausage with breakfast

@BohoHeathen never even eggs?

I could if I had to. I could never raise an animal for food, but I could kill wild game again if I had to. I watch some shows about Alaskans who choose to live the wilderness lifestyle and one of the guys explained something in a way I had never considered. There are hardly any wild animals who die of old age. Some die because they're prey, some die from disease, some die from starvation, some die from fire, some die from flooding, etc., but I would guess that very few die from being old. Having to intentionally kill an animal would definitely bother me.

haven't fished since i was early teens b/c i can't stand the thought of taking a living being off a fish hook, never mind cleaning & then cooking it.
can't even open a package of meat anymore. although i do eat some which my wife cooks.

Sounds like me .I loved nothing more to fish with my father and grandfather until one day I felt sorry for the fish and never fished again .Thats me ,but I am not against other people fishing as long as they do not over fish and follow the rules pertaining to the fish they are catching

Yes, fresh meat tastes much better than stored meat to me (except in the case of aged beef). So I will still harvest deer, hog, turkey, and rabbit on rare occasions. I am an avid fisherman of all species. I regularly harvest shrimp, crab, clams, oysters, scallops, and conch from Florida's waters. I also enjoy the taste of fresh alligator tail when I can get it.

I have, but no longer. I'm vegan now.

I eat meat but at this point in my life if I had to kill it I'd pass. No problem with fish though.

gearl Level 8 Sep 11, 2019

I would definitely eat less meat, but I’ve no big moral objection to killing for food. At least I would know that there was at least an attempt to kill the animal humanely.

People who eat animal cadaver are are rarely hunters, farmers, butchers, meat packers, fish gutters, shrimpers, inspectors or truck drivers taking terrified sentient animals to their deaths. My earliest memories hunting and fishing with my father includes watching the light of life go out in the eyes of dying rabbits, pheasants and quail I ran to capture their gunshot bodies bleeding in my hands where hunting dogs did not see to retrieve. That same year xmas of 1956, "Santa" gave my brother and I matching cowboy boots and cap guns looking like Colt 45 six shot revolvers but the trigger and hammer spun taped gunpowder to explode inch after inch when "shot"....the sound was exciting and I wondered how Santa got down our 6 inch chimney....none the less I refused to eat fried chicken legs, ground up cow meat called pigham "burgers" preferring hot dogs and baloney I had no clue where that food CAME FROM....SLICING a giant Turkey out of the oven, I wondered where the feathers went.... "Were some inside my pillow ?" I have been paid to perform all 8 jobs on my lines 2&3 above.....if all carnivore people were required to buy a hunting/fishing license and work those 8 jobs one day per year TO BUY THEIR "food" ....the wasteful food industry would have fewer customers and wildlife habitats would be restored and expanded closer to Native America of 1492

I used to hunt elk and deer every year, their natural predators are pretty much gone. I love animals, but they have to be culled.

Yes

Probably not. But I'd miss it, and I might learn to do it.

Just look at as you are giving the animal mercy from beeing killed in some other horrific manner.

I used to hunt elk and deer every year, their natural predators are pretty much gone. I love animals, but they have to be culled.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:400496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.