Agnostic.com

2 1

LINK Samantha Bee Proves the Electoral College Is Garbage and Has to Go

She is so cool ... and right! Lose it.

IAJO163 8 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A short assessment of the electoral college from me, is that it must be reformed, indeed it should have over century ago. The American systems was set up in pre-industrial times, assuming that that era would be stable and unchanging and wished to give equal power to all the States regardless of population. However, the USA expanded, fought a Civil War and so on...
As the major changes happened, the system religiously remaining the same has cut out the democratic choices made by the majority of the people.
So, a system of representation will be hard to introduce that can be democratic and representational of all the States.

I believe that it should not be reformed but completely discarded. Individual citizens should have their vote counted. The States are a geographic location. In a democracy the majority rules. The citizens of America should decide who is president. States individually elect their state representatives and local govts. While we're fixing political mistakes, we should take into consideration the population of a state for the amount of senators they have, not based on just 2 per state. Again majority should rule. The electoral college prevents individual citizens' votes from actually counting in the election for president..

@Pamscwf1 As I understand it, each state has two Senators so that no State can have a bigger voice than any other, but as you say, Geography doesn't vote, people do.
I can't see the Supreme court allowing a change to democratic representation at the moment.

Hmmm...

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:401615
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.