Agnostic.com

19 8

Unhealthy food. How could I have been more tactful?

"Aren't you eating dinner?" the organizer asked. Last night with a group of liberals, I was watching the Democratic debates at Bob's Burgers and Brews. They give us a separate room with a big-screen TV for free.

"I ate dinner at home before coming," I replied. "The food here is too unhealthy for me." She snorted and turned away.

"Do you have grilled chicken?" I asked the waitress at the first debate. "Yes," she replied. I ordered a green salad with grilled chicken breast and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.

My salad arrived with a nasty-tasting, processed mystery loaf with grill marks. The balsamic dressing was largely high-fructose corn syrup, water and chemicals. Iceberg lettuce has no nutritional value. Disgusting.

All I ate was four cucumber slices. $16.95 + tax + tip. Now I order tea and give a $10 tip.

How could I have been more tactful? This is how most Americans eat.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have managed to quit sugar, whole milk, white bread, cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs.

I admire your ability to taste phony ingredients, and now that ALL my time belongs to me I think I can focus on diet now.

@BitFlipper

Thank you. After decades of cooking with natural, fresh ingredients, processed food tastes terrible.

I’m not so healthy; I eat whatever will stay down, but feel free to use the Gastroparesis Refrain: ‘I can’t eat that’. 😁
Why not, you might ask? 🤮🤮🤮. Pretty damn good reason!

where I am from, when restaurants or bars host events, there is a minimum price purchase guests must make... you would not get away with only ordering a tea unless it was a damn expensive tea! heh

What would you have preferred the salad be made of? cabbage? kale? spinach? And do mainstream restaurants where you live serve salads that way? 😕

If I was a health nut 😛 I think I may just lie and say I have allergies and most of the food items will cause a flare-up... so just drinks for me ;D

"How could I have been more tactful? This is how most Americans eat."

You could have said "I'm not ready right now" This would give you more time to think about what you want to say.

Lying works too......

My doctor has me on a very restrictive diet.

As a person who doesn't drink alcohol, I can testify that it becomes tiresome to be tactful all the time. "It's my thing" I usually say, which sounds hip and is also obscure.

One of the main reasons I always carry something to snack on , and very rarely eat out at all. Most food - even at so-called "healthy" places, is over salted/sugared/caloried. I don't need it !

KFC have hundreds of fast food outlets in the UK and they recently installed ovens in many off them to give the punters a choice between fried chicken and presumably healthier baked chicken.The demand for the baked chicken was so low that they have removed the ovens at great cost.
Seems like some people are adicted to unhealthy food.

Eating meals together in our culture is not about providing your body with sustenance, but a more implicit social gathering that also shares similar food. If you don't want to eat with those you are gathered with, they might incorrectly assume that you don't want to be social with them either. They could also feel self conscious about eating unhealthy quantities of unhealthy food in front of someone that is not engaging in the same behavior.

For an experiment, try arranging a gathering of like minded friends that doesn't take place at an eatery. Even if it's at your house, offer no food. Just tell them that you want to get together with them just to be with them and talk. See how many of them take you up on it without reservations. It will be even worse if they are hosting the event. Watch them eventually and repeatedly offer you food or drink. People are so accustomed to social gatherings having a food element, that they become uncomfortable when there isn't. The food and drink provides some level of distraction from direct socialization.

Sometimes one just have to tell how one sees it.

Tact isnt really a thing when it comes to your own food choices, its only a problem if you are trying to control other people. Im assuming youre wondering how to say "thanks I already ate". its not like you need to explain yourself.

I guess just say you already ate.

"Aren't you eating dinner? Nope.

And leave it at that. You're reasons are your own, but if pressed and you just want them to shut up about it tell them you don't like the food there and already ate.

Also, when it comes time to decide where the next political viewing event will be held already have an alternative place in mind and suggest going there instead.

1of5 Level 8 Sep 13, 2019

Mystery loaf! I would've sent it back and just had a hamburger if it was real beef... Next time, I would've brought my own dressing too... Simple olive oil and vinegar blend...

Did they have the "Baby, You Can Chive My Car" burger? I would totally eat that.

I have a gleutin allergy and I explain ahead of time , helps a lot

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 13, 2019

Eating well in America....is a Personal Fucking War.

twill Level 7 Sep 13, 2019

'"I ate dinner at home before coming," I replied.'

If you had stopped there, that's how you could have been more tactful.

You did right for your self and that is what counts,,bar food is if at the best of times

Seems to me that you did fine, your purpose for being there wasn't dinner.

I would have left it at I ate before coming. I agree with your choice. The dressing not only has HFCS, it is based on some type of manufactured, inflammatory vegetable oil.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:401707
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.