Agnostic.com

10 7

HAVE YOU HEARD OF ROBERT INGERSOLL?

He was a great American agnostic writer & thinker, who is well worth reading today. He was called The Great Agnostic

Remiforce 7 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes... "Every cause has a cause"

Yes...he was brought to my attention in a previous post by someone here on Agnostics.com.

Yes brilliant

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 17, 2019

Absolutely!!!

Science built the Academy, superstition the inquisition. - Robert Ingersoll

I used to live in Peoria where there is a statue.

[en.m.wikipedia.org]

Big fan. Gets to the true essence of an issue in championship form. I have read this book a few times. It’s an easy read. I recommend it.

Heck yeah

"The great Orator" you've never heard of. He gave a talk in Chicago where 50,000 people showed up at a facility the only held 10,000. This at a time when there was no electronic amplification. This was the golden age of Free Thought.

I read this that was interesting... "His father, John Ingersoll, was an abolitionist-sympathizing Congregationalist preacher, whose radical opinions caused him and his family to relocate frequently."

I was curious to know what caused to him to lead the beliefs he held. It is usually starts with nuturing. As expected the family suffered rejection and hatred from the society that was totally under the grip of religion.

However, I admire these early pioneers in free thinking, atheism who had to show so much more courage to express their views and lead just a normal life. We find it hard today in 2019 so we can imagine what resistance they had at the time.

We owe a lot to early pioneers of free thought like him.

I need to

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:403467
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.