Agnostic.com

33 5

Have you ever had a mystical or near death experience?

Some people say such experiences gave them tremendously expanded perceptions & awareness.

If you have had such an experience, do you feel you became aware of anything real, or was it just an altered brain state, like taking LSD

Remiforce 7 Sep 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

33 comments (26 - 33)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I think that a belief in God and a belief that an essence of person exists after death are separate notions. It is quite possible to believe in one without believing the other. Yet of course these two beliefs are inextricably mixed within many traditions. I would recommend reading Robert Monroe's book, The Ultimate Journey, with an open mind. I had an NDE about one year ago. It did not reflect what I most fervently believed at the time and left me with more questions than answers. But this itself may well be a gift. I have learned, that often in life, that the questions are much more important.

I came really close, almost bled to death, did not actually understand what was happening and so I did nothing different than what was going on. Spent time in the hospital in Portland, four days, then a week back home before another three days in the hospital. Doctor said I was an accident waiting to happen. I am over what I had and apparently the condition will not return. I get regular blood work to check.

Glad you are better. You came close

Yup

bobwjr Level 10 Nov 12, 2019

As a younger man I studied many things and actually did out of body travel. For the most part it is a mental state. Even so, we had company once that was told as we went to bed to turn off the stereo power supply when they retired for the night. The next day at breakfast I told them they did not do this and also told them just where everyone slept. I then went to the stereo and turned off the power supply.

I think astral travel happens. It is a state of consciousness our science is only beginning to understand

I don't know what to think of NDE's - first of all, there is no evidence. No scientific proof. I have talked to people who came close to dying and they described seeing a light, meeting deceased loved ones, then approaching a boundary and being told "Your life's work is not finished. You have to go back." None of these people have a history of delusions or mental disorders. It could just be the brain chemistry of a person under severe stress. Nobody knows. I had a weird experience - don't know what to make of it. In 1977 I visited a friend for a weekend. I feel asleep early and woke up at midnight feeling afraid. I wanted to go to my friend's room but did not dare walk past the living room. I shook with fear for an hour, feeling that the living room contained something bad. At 1:00 a.m. the vibrations became softer and I fell asleep. When I woke up I told my friend. She stated that any person who slept in the bedroom close to the living room felt afraid about midnight. She also told me that people had moved out of that house because they often felt anxious and afraid. I don't know what to make of it. Being atheist I don't believe in anything supernatural. But it was weird.

SKH78 Level 8 Sep 20, 2019

Do you think you had a close encounter with a ghost. Maybe this world has more experiences than our rational philosophy encompasses

@Remiforce I don't know what to make of it ... especially when I got told that other people were afraid to sleep in that room and also people moved out of that house because they chronically felt uneasy. There are weird things that can't be explained.

As a matter of fact I have.... I must have been 10 years old. Walking down the street where I grew up, I went across and jumped to the sidewak (It's a weird u turn downhill street) but I tripped myself and came down towards the street. Everything next happened in a split second.... as I am fallling, I see a bus moving down and I see the rear wheel spining and I know we will meet. It's amazing how fast the brain can present the possibilities under such stressful conditions. The level of awareness goes to the roof, it is true. The sense of "I saw my whole life in one second" is also true. While all that is happening and I am terrified, my brain also kicked the self survival mode and I decided (half way going down...still going down) that I was not going to die. I did manage to move my body bearly away from the bus wheel as soon as I landed on the paviment. It has been more than 40 years and I still remember the whole scene as if had happen to me just this morning. All the emotions I went through in a split second were very real, they are still real to me.

Many people who are facing imminent death describe a "life review" where their whole life flashes before them in an instant. They also speak of reaching a realization it is not their time & come back to their body --or save their life

@Remiforce That's exactly how I felt

No, but I had a couple blizzard experiences on the road where I fully expected I would die out there in the storm.

Expecting to die is not the same as an NDE

@Remiforce I know that. I am allowed to state my comment. Quit being so controlling and critical.

@Remiforce

How do you define "near death"?

1. No heartbeat, then revived through medical intervention.

2. Nearly fell off a cliff.

I experienced #2 several times while hiking.

Me too! I took it as a message from the Universe that I should avoid great heights!!

People who have had NDE's are usually people who have been considered clinically dead, often for a considerable time, sometimes days. No heartbeat or pulse, no respiration, flatliners with no discernable brain activity.

People in this state have sometimes been known to wake up in a cold morgue. That must be a very frightening experience.

More people are reporting NDE's because of cardio-resusitation, where they can bring flatliners back.

People in NDE's often report floating above their bodies & seeing what people, such as medical personnel are doing. They often report accurately what was said & done when they wake up. They often report leaving the room & floating up to the waiting room to see what their grieving relatives are doing.

Very experienced meditators can put themselves into a state of suspended animation, where they appear to be dead, but are functioning at theta brain wave activity & have control of their state.

Having a close call in a near accident is a terrifying situation, but it is not an NDE.

@Normanbites The universe communicates with us in many ways. We must be open to receive

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:404281
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.