Agnostic.com

18 2

Book Recommendations ??

What are some good books on how to talk to people about atheism? I love David Smalley’s podcasts and I’m going to check out his book, but I’d like some recommendations. Thanks!

Webrarian 3 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A Dangerous Fortune, by Ken Follett.
So much fun. After I read it, I was dying to talk to someone about it....full of drama and suspense.

Pretty much anything by the four horsemen, although they are quite antagonistic and likley to offend. Trying to find somethingt that explains atheism without also being overtly anti-religious is more diffiuclt.

[en.wikipedia.org]

Nomad Level 6 Mar 21, 2018

Nailed: Ten Christian Myths That Show Jesus Never Existed at All

Book by David Fitzgerald

The case against the case for Christ

Deconstructing Jesus

All books challenging the authenticity of the so called Messiah. For those who want to get indeph historical research on the matter.

The Tao te ching. I try to live by the tenants set out in the book. I also like CARLOS CASTENEDA works.

Although the tone is more harsh than you would want use with someone you were intending to convince, the auguments against the divine origion of Judeo-Christian Scripture found in Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason remain unassailable. He was a deist, but the book is a must-read for all who would engage in a debate with Christian fundamentalists.

The Queen Must Die: And Other Affairs of Bees and Men by William Longgood. Remarkably well written and gives you a new appreciation for honey bees and man.

I really enjoyed Richard K. Morgan's "Altered Carbon" series (Season 1 on Netflix is pretty good). Also, I'm a huge fan of Audiobooks, especially Michael Chricton, Neil Tyson, and any other science or sci-fi author I can find.
My true guilty pleasure is "The Destroyer" series of books by Warren Murphy and Richard Sapir. 70's pulp books that number over 100 strong. I don't get to read much these days but audiobooks certainly help.

David Silverman’s Fighting God is a great book. If you prefer audio book, he reads it aloud himself.

Marz Level 7 Mar 21, 2018

Thinking fast and slow, Daniel Kahneman. In addition to the other recommendations

Read or listen to alan watts......good for any and all !!!!!

oh, in particular..."does it matter ?"

??? Why would you want to talk to people about atheism?

Religious people, with their constant proselytizing are annoying enough. But informing yourself isn't a bad idea, and sometimes I talk back to alt-right attackers.

I can highly recommend 'The Origin of The State, The Family and Private Property' by Friedrich Engels.
This book describes how humans gradually transformed from an ancient communal, matriarchally run society into the rat-race of a system that we have now, as a result of the invention of pottery storage vessels and other developments of history. A fascinating and sometimes very deeply academic read, but well worth the effort required to understand another aspect of what makes us the humans we have evolved into.

"A Manual For Creating Atheists," by Peter Boghosian. It is excellent. Promotes an approach called street epistemology to break through religionists' delusion that their learned faith system is infallible. People need to understand that their sincere conviction does not guarantee they are right. Only then can they really hear evidence presented to them that contradicts their precious tenets of faith.

Watch the Athiest experience on Youtube, Matt Dillahunty and Tracey Harris are my favorite hosts. It's a weekly call in show where they talk to mainly Theist callers. You can find tons of back episodes.

Letter to a Christian Nation and God is not good give plenty of information.

Why I Am Not A Christian, Bertrand Russell

Google ! "books on Atheism" christianity before christ john thing jackson

Have you tried the Bible?

JOKING!!!!!

I was TOTALLY expecting that at least once Robert! LOL

A Catholic on FB tonight said "That's the Old Testament!" I kid you not.
Then I left.

@Captnron59 Yeah, readign the bible kind of made me an atheist too.

@WizardBill yeah, it is fun to quote the bible to Christians, because you are right that most of them don't really know it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40493
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.