Agnostic.com

4 4

Billy Porter Celebrates historic Emmy win with the night's most moving speech.

At the 2019 Emmys on Sunday, the Pose star picked up the award for lead actor in a drama series — becoming the first openly gay black man to do so.

"The category is love, y'all, love," said Porter, collecting the award. "I am so overwhelmed and I am so overjoyed to have lived long enough to see this day."

The award-winning actor then reflected on the words of great American novelist, essayist, orator, and civil rights activist James Baldwin in one of the most powerful moments of the ceremony.

"James Baldwin said, 'Took many years of vomiting up all the filth that I had been taught about myself and halfway believed, before I could walk around this earth like I had the right to be here.'

"I have the right. You have the right. We all have the right."

[slate.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 23

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Speech sounds wonderful as well as all the other ones listed below ,all have a very moving messages

Whoever the heck he is, and whatever the heck Pose is.

I didn't find it any more (or less) "moving" than Patricia Arquette's speech, or
Alex Borstein's speech, or Michelle Williams's speech, or Jharrel Jerome's
speech.
Arquette talked about her late sister, Alexis, and transgender rights.
Borstein talked about her grandmother surviving the Holocaust, and women
"stepping out of line".
Williams talked about equity when it comes to compensation and support.
Jerome talked about justice for the wrongly accused and convicted,
Exonerated Central Park Five.

They all had something worthwhile and moving to say.
The messages they conveyed all need to be heard.

Yes! And didn’t the Brits do well?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:405839
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.