Agnostic.com

9 18

Mission Peak hike today. High winds blew me sideways.

Today with five women, I climbed Mission Peak, 6,876'. Wind gusts were over 65 mph at the summit. It's already snowing in the mountains so the wind was cold.

The final pitch is a steep, extremely narrow trail with sliding shale underfoot and a sheer drop-off. As I stepped up onto the narrow path to the summit, the wind pushed me sideways. It was too dangerous. I did not go to the top.

"You picked the windiest spot to change your clothes," Karen said. I laughed, fighting the wind.

We hiked 7 miles with 2,278' of elevation gain. This included walking 1-1/2 miles to the trail head. The steep, gravel road deteriorated as we drove higher.

Here's Wenatchee, WA where I live beside the Columbia River, looking north. The smoky haze is from preventative burning by the U.S. Forest Service to the west and north.

"Where did all the trees on that north hillside go?" my Mom asked. "Wildfires," I replied.

"Can't you replant trees on the hillsides?" she asked. "No, not enough rain. Without irrigation, Wenatchee would be an arid, shrub-steppe desert."

We saw two Pika nests in talus slopes (rocks). Pika pile up plants for shelter and food. Getting ready for winter.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All these things you do impress the shit out of me!

Descending, we ran into a woman I recognized. "My hiking partners dropped away as they got older with joint problems," she said.

Lori and I puzzled out how we knew each other. "Unitarian Church," Lori eventually said. "Hi, Kathleen! I saw you at the Climate Crisis March." Bingo.

A widow and a lifelong hiker, Lori was a U.S. Forest Service ranger at Lake Wenatchee. We invited Lori to hike with our women's group. "Lori has a calm temperament," I told Karen. "Good," she replied.

Karen and I spent time talking with Lori. We fell behind our group. We ran downhill on smooth areas of the trail to catch up. My legs are hammered.

Here's another photo of Wenatchee, WA, where I live. Love the curves of the Columbia River.

Glad to see you back at your Hobby.

@GipsyOfNewSpain

Me, too. Hiking is my passion.

@LiterateHiker Atta Girl!!!!!

Great post! Sounds like you had a blast!

My sister and her family lived in Wenatchee many years ago. That's a beautiful area.

Did you power your hike with aplets or cotlets?

@TrailRider

I don't eat Aplets or Cotlets.

Great photos! 🙂

Aww so beautiful

Some very beautiul Pics,Happy you stayed safe and errored on the side of caution

Beautiful!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:406503
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.