Agnostic.com

55 3

Is chivalry SEXIST???

• Not allowing women to pay
  • Female centric courtship
    -Doing things for women that you wouldn't do for anyone else (Not just your lover) opening doors & letting women go first. Yet neglect to do the same for others.
    -Being the romantic instigator 90+% of the time
    -Playing socially defined gender stereotypes
  • 30 votes
  • 39 votes
  • 24 votes
JoelLovell 6 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

55 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't think it's intentionally sexist, it's just outdated. It's one of those old traditions society has yet to shake off stemming from days when women didn't work or generate income.

Paying for a woman , on a date , is not about chivarly . Paying for a woman is showing her that you will make a good mate , because , as a part of child bearing and raising , she will be required to depend on her mate for support . She needs to know if you will be generous towards her and your child , or if , for instance , instead of supporting her and the infant , when she is most vunerable , and unable to support herself and the infant , you are going to take the money and run .

Just the same excuse could be used for women that pick partners based on income which would be viewed with suspicion. Him spending money on you could be because he knows that's an easy way to get in your pants seen as thats how you measure men. Then do the same thing to all the other chicks he wants to lay. Doesn't say anything about loyalty. In fact if he's wise with his spending and likes to save, food shop instead of eat out and spend quality time (that doesn't cost much) then thats a greater sign of responsibility, if his feelings are clearly visible. For example a ladies man knows the game he will take women out do and say what they want but it's goal orientated. She'll stupidly think "yh he's got momey, good investment let's give him what he wants" but in reality he knows what your perceiving and doesn't need to be creative or invest much emotionally. Just splash cash on her. A man that isn't easily swayed by these expectations has a longer term goal in mind either for himself, the future or whatever not just trading money for favourable perception. Could also switch it and say a woman should then cook , clean and show her abilities to look after her family and help save money that they need to pay bills instead of smoozing and dining. The only thing that shows is how the guy thinks he should act.

@JoelLovell When I retired from my last job , it was after working there for 42 years , 9 months , and 3 days . 100 % of my earnings went into the pot to support the family as well . I didn't make the babies by myself , or without his full knowledge , before we married , that this was the plan . In my opinion , a marriage is a partnership . Two people joined together , agreeing to have sex , which is the route to take , for having a family . I did not ask him to support me . I have never under any circumstances , either asked for or received alimony . Not one red cent . As my partner in making a family , I do feel he also carries responsibility for their support and welfare . In divorce , I asked him to contribute $130 per month to support two children . His lawyer increased that amount to $150 per month for both children . I think that must have been due to some law about minimum requirements . To put things in perspective , over time , the child care service increased their rates to $150 per month , for my two girls . He frequently informed me that he should not have to pay , because the cost of living had increased . I pointed out to him , that this fact was correct , that it now cost more to support the girls , AND that the Federal Government had given him a COLA (Cost of Living Allowance ) , which the girls had not received . A lawyer told me most divorces are due to one of three problem areas . 1. Sex . 2. Money 3. In-laws . Personally , I suspect, 4 Would be addictions , whether it's booze , gambling , drugs , abusive behavior or whatever . According to the 2015 U.S. census , it now costs over $250,000.00 (that's right , over a quarter of a million dollars ) to raise a child . Women are still paid 20% less for doing the same work , as men are paid . So , please forgive me , if I expect men to adult , before starting a family .

A culture of universal civility is preferred to a culture of universal chivalry.

Myah Level 6 Aug 10, 2018

Perfectly stated!

Chivalry doesn't have to be exclusive to one gender. I often open doors for men and extend similar courtesies. Kindness is good from any direction.

Deb57 Level 8 May 11, 2018

Benevolent sexism. These things/behaviors have roots in the idea that women are fragile and need to be cared for; ergo they are sexist. Plus if you have to play into stereotypes, you can assume it isn't for good reasons.

None of my examples were as relative as yours. Didn't depend on competence either so if your trying to make a point out of this it's a blatant straw man and false equivocation fallacy. In terms of a formal debate the definition is always made clear and the definition is stated by the person that is debating not the dictionary, you can use the dictionary for support but what the person means by what they say should ultimately be the parameters that you argue on. If someone has a debate about God their definition of God must be stated, different people mean different things by words. Richard Dawkins original Meme and the memes you see on Facebook are the same word but different meaning. My elaboration of what I ment should have been reasonable to any reasonable person. Words change in meaning my love if not the the phrase 'chivalry is dead' would have been popular in the 15th century when the knight was obsolete.

Just saying
@BlueWave

The next time l'm in a car with a woman and we have a flat and she tells me to stay in the car while she changes the tire, l will buy into this bullshit. I'm really bored with selective equality. Do women really want to go into court with a 50/50 chance of getting custody of the kids? Fuck no! Why do millions of women vote for Republicans when they don't believe in equal pay or control of their own reproductive system. Why don't you work on your own gender before jumping on our asses for stupid shit like opening a fucking door? There will never be an end to the battle of the sexes. I have come to the conclusion men and women are barely the same species. 🙂

Funny, my ex once called me to drive to where he was so I could change his tire for him. Once I had the spare on, he pitched a fit, asking if he could "take over" so he could feel like he "wore the pants in this family." I only had to explain the proper way to tighten the lug nuts twice. (I really don't miss that guy.)

@Nottheonlyone That's funny. Reverse chivalry. I love it.

Simple logic I use until someone rebuts it's
Preferencial treatment towards a race = racist
Preferential treatment towards a sex = sexist

That's why men are called masoginosts when they say comments like 'women's role is in the kitchen and bed' such comments in public would lead to dismissal in most western workplaces.
Women treat men as if our 'role' is as a bill taker. The similarities is in the one sided view of it. If it was genuinely equal, and that's the buzzword for feminists right. Then we would have a consencious that we should always pay for ourselves unless a person is giving us a gift. Social pressure has done this to men and they should call it what it is sexism.

Sounds to me like you need to spend time with a different kind of lady. There are plenty out there that will exhibit the behaviors you describe... but they aren't in my circle. I'm attracted to badass chicks with skills who build, create, and accomplish things. They don't exhibit the quality you were speaking to.

I like your definitions at the top of your comment and I see them the same way. However, I do make allowances for cultural "adjustments". Just like financial markets, there can be bubbles of "privilege" that can justify "corrections". That being said, I think some people use words incorrectly to try to get a point across... and it's not a good way to do things... when you have to change the definitions of words to make your point... maybe you just need better words. Right?

It is and I do that beacuse I believe every woman beautiful and deserve all respect specially after long history of neglected and treated her bad.

As I will regularly hold doors for women, men who look like they have their hands full, or anybody coming into a place right before or after me - I just view that as being a kind and considerate person. As to 'who pays' for a date - depends on who asks who out and what the situation is.

I never expect a woman to be passive when it comes to the 'dating game', but one fact of life is that women (IMO) generally need to be more selective about whom they chose to be intimate with than we men do. The consequences for women in making a bad dating or relationship choice can be quite a bit more significant than for men. So - most of the time men do kind of have to take the lead, at least when things are just getting started.

So ? Good Manners are important.

Chivalry is TOTALLY sexist. That's why she should open doors for him every once in a while, pay for her own meals, and then when y'all get married he can wear the dress, and she can carry you inside on your honeymoon.

a million years ago when i worked for the department of justice, on the mazelike sixth floor, i didn't sit at a desk all day. i had to get up and go all over the place for various reasons (and sometimes down to the plush fifth floor, where the attorney general's offices were, but that's another story). on the sixth floor there were many hallways, with heavy glass doors at either end of them. i would sometimes run into people from my own little section in those hallways. one was a young man who hailed from my own birthtown, philadelphia, so i felt a vague affinity for him, but he did one annoying thing every time we bumped into each other (not literally). he HAD to hold the door open for me. it didn't matter if i was half a hallway ahead of him. he would run past me to open the door. god forbid (what IS it with english, anyway, with all the religious references?) a woman should touch a door handle! if my hands were full, fine, he'd open the door, but if his were full and mine were not, too bad, i had to stop at the door and wait for him to shift things around and open the door for me. he'd actually get mad if i opened a door for myself and madder still if i opened one for him.

it's not as if he used his penis to open the damned door!

g

I voted ''not sure'' because the idea of ''chivalry'' is a very old concept, begun long before the idea of what's ''racist'' and does it even matter?

I want to treat people the way I like being treated. That's about it.

Having been raised by my mother (my father took off when I was 4) and with two sisters and an involved grandmother, my training in the treatment of the opposite sex was female-centric, and included what might be called 'chivalric' traditions. And at the risk of appearing boastful, my upbringing of putting women first appears to have influenced my romantic life, when it comes to instigation and satisfaction.

Only if you want to make an issue out of it

Chivalry as you describe it is sexist, yes. It did not used to be. Chivalrous acts were not always associated with gender. It was just a code of morality and ethics for knights. Old school Chivalry is awesome... new school "gendered" chivalry is just patronizing. You can pay for a dude's dinner and hold the door for him too... It's just as chivalrous.

Also... A lot of folks in the comments start with something like: "The origin of Chivalry is benevolent sexism..." or something to that effect... No it isn't. Look it up. You wil be surprised to find no references to gender one way or another. The gendered understanding is entirely a new imposition of modern culture... it has no ingrained root with the origin of chivalry itself.

I mean, if you want to really get technical... is it even possible to be chivalrous, without a horse?

It is only sexist if you never accept a woman treating you with the same sort of manners.

I think it's a matter of respect and good manners. Haven't men had enough breaks? I think if you treat your woman like a queen, in most cases, she will reciprocate and if not, what have you lost?

Hmm, I think your definition is an interpretation of the meaning. I looked it up: "the sum of the ideal qualifications of a knight, including courtesy, generosity, valor, and dexterity in arms". This was a medieval concept, back when knights were warriors and abided by a code of behavior so as not to abuse their authority over those who were not warriors, which notably included women. Your definition is a derivative of the original meaning, and yeah it's probably sexist in the context of current society. In the context of the times when it was developed, no it wasn't.

I have to admit, I am uncomfortable with a man holding the door open for me. I always hold the door open for women though if they are near. If a woman held the door open for me I'd probably laugh but I would thank her. I'm actually trying to train myself to open car doors for my wife but I'm still working on it. It has always impressed me when husbands do that for their wives. I think that acting like a gentleman is one of the best things about being male.

Men opening car doors for me is something that I tolerate for the first couple weeks of dating because I don’t want to burst their bubble. But honestly I hate it, and that is usually the first thing I ask them to stop doing. It feels so much nicer when they don’t.

But that is also me. You have treat people the way they want to be treated. So if it makes your wife feel special, I commend you for your thoughtfulness. 🙂

I guess it depends on your motivation. I was raised to place a ladies needs before my own and I never feel sexist when I do. But there have been times when I felt I was imposing my "chivalry" on the women around me whether I knew them or not.

Coming from a generation where liberation of freedom was important and women were going out and doing their own thing, they still liked being treated like a lady. It's a dammed if you do, dammed if you don't sort of thing going on with this. Each woman has her own way to show she is independent and can stand on her own two feet but when it comes to dating and going out, most women, not all, do like to feel special and appreciated. If a guys makes an effort in ways to do that, it keeps the romance alive as well.

Wanna have you cake and eat it if you ask me. Want equal treatment except when it benefits you. Then preferential treatment won't harm. I was raised by a real independent woman my mum worked more than my dad made more than my dad then came home and done more than my dad she honestly didn't need him but she stayed with him. That's not the type of woman I see these days.

Back in the days men used to like feeling special now women do when will you realise for true parity nobody is intrinsically special.

@JoelLovell that is your perspective on it but that's not always the case. I hear a lot of generalizing here with women. The generations have changed a lot over the years. It depends on each situation and the people involved. While some like to be treated decent, the woman will also return that, it's part of showing how you feel. You are comparing your mother in ways where that is not fair to other women who may be in the same situation but other variables make it different so one can't say it's sexist when perhaps it isn't.

@mistymoon77 perhaps but it's likely that I might be onto something and your just in denial because it doesn't suit your rationale. I generalise because this is an observationary argument.

@mistymoon77 we live in a sexist culture til this day the only reason no one is doing nothing about that aspect is that it's basis is private and hey who would not like an advantage in life. Yet feminist never threat to point out disparities. Just never the times when they reap rewards just for being female. Lucky there's no such thing as masculinists. I might start the movement.

@mistymoon77 tbh im just a true egalitarian EVERYONE IS INTRINSICALLY EQUAL. (No Excuse)

@JoelLovell you come from a different generation than I do.. Men treated a woman how she was to be looked at in his eyes. This is something that doesn't happen anymore. There isn't any denial here.. Women of many cultures are looked up to in for things and they are a force to be reckoned with. Do your research. How women are seen in this day and age isn't the same as it was 30 yrs ago or more. Times have changed. What one person sees as sexist is not the same to another. Keep that in mind when you get defensive.

@mistymoon77 sorry what research am I memt to be doing?

@JoelLovell [owlcation.com]
[artsandculture.google.com]
[nwhp.org]

This isn't about being entitled for anything.. there is a huge difference. But it is well known, men have the advantage over so many things and it's been like that forever but in some cultures, women are looked upon much different than what and how we see them in society today.

@mistymoon77 I agree disadvantageous sexism exists more so than advantageous sexism in the world as a whole. My point was just from the devil's advocates point of view, to point out the less obvious forms. I think you might be strawmaning me on this. I'm not quite sure what opinions you assume i have on this or what information you think I'm unaware of.

Its nice and feels good to be treated like a lady. No objections. I would not object to meeting someone with those values.

Why do people act like they don't get my point when I say the word chivalry, I mean MEN towards WOMEN exclusively. Not if your a woman being polite to both genders not if your a man that is polite to everyone. The common status quo of men's expectations in the here & now (Not the medieval age). That is favourable to the courting of women. When you hear the phrase chivalry is dead does any one actually think "umm... do you mean warfare etiquette??"

I appreciate the answers but c'mon guys stop being so obtuse.

Words do change in there meaning I know allot of you are qualified etymologist but get with the times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:40668
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.