Agnostic.com

7 2

LINK No Need To Cut Back On Red Meat? Controversial New 'Guidelines' Lead To Outrage : The Salt : NPR

A group of scientists challenges the current recommendations to cut back on red and processed meats.

AlasBabylon 8 Sep 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Controversial and unproven theories, I would suggest just use common sense and avoid extreme diets.

bobwjr Level 10 Sep 30, 2019

I agree. I wonder if those scientists disputing the generally held views are in the pocket of the food and beverage industries.

@MST3K most likely original food pyramid was agricultural spouting Bullshit to sell more crap

My father died of colon cancer at age 51 in 1978. Dad loved red meat and processed and preserved meats with cancer-causing nitrates and nitrites.

I was 24. Immediately I stopped eating processed and preserved meats (hot dogs, sausage, ham, salami, beef jerky, bologna, corned beef, pepperoni, etc.), hamburgers, fast food, deep fried food and red meat. Don't miss it.

In a sweeping review released on October 26, 2015, the World Health Organization (WHO) officially identified processed meat (including canned meats, chicken nuggets and deli meats) as a Group 1 carcinogen, meaning the quality of the evidence firmly links it to cancer. Red meats fare little better, falling into Group 2A, a category that includes the toxic pesticide DDT, the chemical weapon mustard gas and the insecticide malathion.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) did a so-called meta-analysis- a study of studies- evaluating 800 published papers. Twenty-two experts from 10 countries conducted the work and then voted on what findings to issue.

Those findings state that 50 grams of processed meat per day - one hot dog or about six pieces of bacon- raises the risk of colorectal cancer by 18%. Other cancers too were associated with red and processed meats, including stomach, prostate and pancreatic, but it was colorectal that produced the most persuasive numbers.

From: "The War on Delicious" by Jeffrey Kluger, Time Magazine, November 9, 2015

Cut back on The Salt.

@Athena I was referring to his link, "The Salt". Thanks for the info, though 🙂

It is certain you are going to die ... so live well, enjoy life and die happy .... if your choices include red meat, soda drinks and lots of drink and drugs ... or lentil stew, courgette hotpot and fresh water .... who cares

@Gwendolyn2018 only advice for dealing with them - stuff another burger in their gobs

The majority of scientists and other highly educated individuals I have associated with or read things by don't touch feedlot meat.

Forty years ago, we knew processed and preserved meats increase your chance of getting cancer.

Decades of studies show eating red meat, processed and preserved meat increase heart disease, cancer and stroke.

These scientists must have been paid by the beef industry.

40 year ago, my Nucleic Acids class professor warned us against combining Nitrates and caffeine, which in the presence of stomach acid, became the potent carcinogen, nitrosamine. That combination is endemic with hot dogs or hamburgers and coke, or coffee and bacon. I've never seen the warning in the press, but I'll bet it accounts for a lot of cancer.

It has been known that feedlot cattle have been fed cement interspersed within their feed to increase their weight at market. They were also commonly injected with hormones to increase their weight ( I think this trend has decreased or disappeared due to the organic meat trend?).

Society saw an increase in the early puberty due to ingesting hormone injected beef, pork, and chicken. This also led to a general trend toward women nationally developing larger breasts. Many guys may like this trend, but it may have contributed to the substantial increase in breast cancer.

Being paid to promote something is likely, but in all fairness, aside from cured meats, whos to say other fish/poultry/meats arent just as bad? And "eat more fish" is paid for by the fishing industry, too.

@MarkiusMahamius

For the longest time fish were off limits due to pollution and Mercury levels.. Still a problem in some areas.

Money can buy scientists, politicians, news people, and others, but not everyone.

I would like to see some of that money, I can always lie, then tell I lied.

@dalefvictor I'm not rich, but think I'd not take any of that money. I want the legal bribery of politicians to be illegal and that flow to shrink.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:408850
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.