Agnostic.com

8 3

A Tim Minchin quote: "Science adjusts its views based on what's observed. Faith is the denial of observation so that belief can be preserved."

It's insightful, but doesn't account for the stuck-in-the-mud classical scientists who refuse to acknowledge overwhelming anecdotal evidence. Good science - referred to above - has to fight against the inertia of the establishment, and it ain't easy.

Doctors and scientists take 7 or more years of their life to get their education, but it takes another 5 to teach them how to ACT like one. This, quoted by a university prof.

Hominid 7 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Almost but not quite."

Anything and everything before being established and accepted as fact, scientifically proven as absolute truth, infallible indisputable law has gone through rigorous and tedious observations, discussions and consultations, exchange of notes and opinions, and, yes, anecdotes.

Raw anecdotes, of course, are not scientific.

Depending on the field of study, these scientific facts and their success at BECOMING scientific facts are highly politicised and are funded by biased sources. The best contrast I can think of to make my point is to juxtapose CERN and big pharma.

@icolan - it all has to do with where the sponsorship comes from. Funding for science is too often politicized by its source, hence the contrast between CERN's pure science, and big pharma's very slanted research. Or, say, agribusinesses like Monsanto. A perfect example of scientific "fact" being influenced by it biased funding source.

@AMGT "Is there something specific you think demands more serious investigation and testing that the “old boys” are neglecting?"

What @CarolMadden brings up is one good example - chemo treatment. It does untold damage to the recipient, has a low success rate, but makes huge money for big pharma. By their own admission, they WILL NOT develop treatments for anything that cannot be patented. Pure science? I don't think so. Almost as bad as scientists that work for tobacco companies.

I think a treatment that has merit, but is often mocked by conventional medicine is the discipline of chiropractic. It has efficacy, but is still not accepted by many as a legit treatment modality.

Another hotly debated subject is the placebo effect, where conventional science rejects it because "it's just in your head". This attitude ignores the very important line of research regarding the brain-body connection and the brain's untapped abilities.

Our world is constantly changing and our views should not remain static either. There are more things that we don't know compared to what we know. Science at least asks questions and searches for answers.

Just a sideline here . . . . there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that many pharmaceutical drugs are damaging , chemo for example, but alternatives are not found because the industry would lose money. Anecdotal evidence is ignored if money is to be made . . . and scientific evidence is often flawed too.

Exactly... just follow the money!

@AMGT - "I’m curious Hominid, why do you see it as “unfair”?"

What's unfair is the bias against new evidence that challenges the status quo. We all like to worship science as the new replacement for religion, but in reality it's a flawed process because of this resistance to change by those of the establishment who don't like things shaken up, and will only pursue research that has the biggest money attached to it.

Scientific research, with all its advantages, has a culture attached to it just like religion does, with its biases, dishonesty, and old boy's club mentality. You wouldn't know this unless you were involved and had friends in the field.

LMAO! It's kind of amusing seeing these responses, as they rather prove your point!

Despite any evidence -- anecdotal or not -- scientists often stick to what they -think- they know. Often, they can come across as know-it-alls. I think this also holds true in all fields of knowledge. I've seen this often with medical doctors.

Anecdotal evidence has its place in opening new doors of inquiry. But the implication to this is that it be -credible- anecdotal evidence. When i read your post, I assumed it was credible anecdotal evidence that you were talking about.

Yes, credible evidence that leads to scientific conclusions. That's my premise.

@icolan - Fuck, this again? One leads to the other...

I think the point I didn't clarify enough is that postulation of a theory (the basis for scientific research) is often based on anecdotal evidence. Kinda like everyone getting a sunburn when outside all day. Gee, ya think it's the sun? Let's find out...

Anecdotes lead to data collection. I'm not claiming anecdotal evidence to BE scientific evidence, only a possible path TO it. Which is kinda how it all happens anyway.

The comments here prove my point that there is an unfair bias against new evidence presented by human experience. Where and how else do we make new discoveries? 1) Discovering new facts with new tools like the microscope, and 2) seeing bacteria die on a petri dish when mould invades it.

Turns out the ancient Egyptians were applying bread mould to infections centuries before Fleming developed penecillum. Both followed first-person observations. Sound like anecdotal?

@icolan You say: "First person observations are also not anecdotal evidence, first person observations are observations."

Semantics. Ask any scientist. If I'm wrong, then please explain it in a way that differentiates the two in the scientific process.

Quote: "Anecdotal evidence can be defined as testimony that something is true, false, related, or unrelated based on isolated examples of someone's personal experience."

The plural of anecdote is anecdotes, not data.
Did you have specific 'evidence' and a thesus in mind?

Allan Level 5 Nov 17, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4090
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.