Agnostic.com

5 15

Today's hike: Search for Golden Week and snow down my leg.

The Northern Larch tree is one of only two conifers in North America that drop their needles in the fall. For one glorious week in mid-October, Northern Larch turn gold.

Northern Larch grow in Eastern Washington at 5,000-8,000 feet elevation in north exposures.

"Where can I see a golden Larch tree?" a hiker from Seattle asked anxiously last year. "I have never seen one."

"Just walk 1/2 mile up this trail," I reassured him.

Today Karen and I hiked up to Marion and Clara Lakes to see if the Larch have turned gold. Not yet. Another week to 10 days. We hiked 4 miles total with 1,100' of elevation gain.

Three feet of snow from the big snowstorm last weekend! We used micro-spikes. As usual, we needed micro-spikes lower down, and snowshoes at higher elevations when the snow got deep. But snowshoes are heavy to carry.

Visiting the bushes, a clump of snow slid off a tree, landing in the crotch of my panties. I was in a compromising position with my pants around my knees. I laughed. Quickly tried scooping out the snow. Cold melting snow ran down the inside of my leg as I hiked out. Too funny!

Glad Karen has heated car seats.

Photos:

1. Northern Larch just starting to turn gold at Marion Lake, 10/3/2019

2. Golden Week at Marion Lake, October 18, 2018

3. Golden Week, Pipeline Trail, October 18, 2018

4. Golden Week, Pipeline Trail, October 18, 2018

5. Golden Week, Lake Schaefer, October 7, 2014

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I thought this was a euphemism at first πŸ™‚. but you certainly live in a beautiful part of the world.

Beautiful larches just at their peak, sadly it only last a twinkling of the eye.

@Fernapple

You're right. A strong wind can blow dry, golden needles off the trees.

Suddenly it's a carpet of gold. "Follow the brick yellow road."

@LiterateHiker They are not common in England, but I grow one in the garden for the fall colour.

The pics are beautiful. Wearing snowshoes to hike must be a challenge.

CS60 Level 7 Oct 3, 2019

@CS60

Snowshoes make it possible to walk on top of snow without sinking in. It's much easier than post-holing in deep snow.

I got MSR "Lighting Ascent" snowshoes for women. They are smaller, more nimble and have a heel lift that is easy to lift with your pole. The heel lift takes the pressure off your achilles tendon and calf muscles on steep ascents. You can power up steep hills more easily.

In the Spring, I got them from Sierra Trading Post for 50% off.

[rei.com]

@CS60

Hiking Ingalls Creek trail with snowshoes in February 2018 with Karen.

We both have MSR Lightning Ascent snowshoes. Love them!

The trees are very beautiful when turned gold,,sounds like a fun relaxing hike,, lol refreshing when the snow lands there πŸ™‚

@RoyMillar

Relaxing? We gained 1,100' of elevation in two miles! Descending, my foot slipped out and I landed on my butt. Very steep and slippery.

It's much harder to walk on a steep trail in deep snow. Post-holing is exhausting. As we gained elevation, temperature and conditions changed, also depending if we were in sun or shade.

Heading up: mud... slush...slippery ice...heavy, wet snow... squeaking hard snow... three feet of fluffy snow at 6,000' elevation.

Funny about the snow in the panties. That’s definitely a new one for me. The pictures are great though

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:410065
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.