Agnostic.com

7 0

Any teachers out there?

I'm an English adjunct, and I mostly work at the prisons which means it's a lot of chaos for little pay (less than what adjuncts usually get paid), and I want to know how everyone else does it. What's your routine or resources? What are your stories?

Honestape 6 Mar 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Adjuncts make so little that many are on food stamps or live with parents, so the universities don't have to pay benefits.

I taught adjuct college courses for years, but my husband made money, plus I lived on my family farm. After a divorce, I moved to Thailand in 2010 and taught English, writing, ESL, etc. The pay is low, but the cost of living is so low, it doesn't matter, plus I get to live in paradise.

I feel like that's really the only way to do this job properly, with financial stability some other way, which I do not have.

On line English instructor, with adult business people. There is reference to it in employment group here. Taught history as well in the past. Only ever worked in adult education. Also worked in support fields of adult education, curriculum review, HR, policy and planning. A humble instructor these days.

I was adjunct for 10 years and bartended on the side. Then opportunity hit and I was hired full-time at the same college (8 Yrs then retired), but not for my masters' discipline. Rather it was my minor and ten years of teaching communication classes. Many times getting in can depend on if your degree and minors mesh with what the college needs. I've seen adjuncts take employment overseas first to get classroom experience. Marshall Islands is hiring again for English teacher and speech class, if you're so inclined. After all, it is a Pacific island! 😉 Good luck because we all have had or need luck to be employed full-time!

Adult educator, mostly for people who did not finish school.

Do you work at prison because you choose to or is that just what is available?

It's just what is available. I used to work at a prison as a CO, and head of the program was my former sociology teacher.

I was an adjunct for many years through grad school, now I work FT and I adjunct at a different online school. I don't know if my routine would be helpful to you as I worked, went to school and reared four sons (married and as a single parent). It really got hectic because I am an avid online gamer (yes - I had to give up the gaming for awhile). But you should always set a little time aside for you. I gave myself set work hours each day and when I turned off the computer, I was done working for that day. Another thing I did was constantly updating and submitting my vitae, reading the jobs board at HigherEd and the Chronicle.

Thanks for the information. My biggest problem is that I have ADHD which is manageable as long as everything is in order, but I never know what is going to go wrong in my classes. For instance, last week, the students were supposed to take a bunch of tests, but someone locked the filing cabinet, and no one had the key, and by the time they got it open, the class was over. I'm not sure what I am and am not allowed to do, and no one seems to know, and it's hard for me to get with people to figure it out. I feel like I would have to work a 60 hour work week to make it all truly come together, but I have other responsibilities and I don't get paid well as it is, and most days, I just don't want to deal with it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41040
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.