Agnostic.com

12 1

Street preaching

How do you feel about people preaching the word of their religion in the open on the streets. Do you feel that its ok to do this? I'm just asking people's opinions as we are starting to see this more and more here on our streets in the United Kingdom

Krisseman 4 Nov 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends on how invasive they are. The ones with megaphones are irritating, but then so are out of tune buskers ?. The happy lunatics make me smile ?

Voicing your beliefs in public is not bad, so long as you are not trying to force them onto people. I've had Mormons come up to me and insist that I listen and agree with them, why should I? Thanks for letting me know what you think but I get to choose whether or not it's for me.

In the U.S. such person are generally ignored. If they bring a bullhorn or soudn systemn with them, then local businesses and neighbors can complain to police about the moise. We hve laws against "creating a public disturbance." and laws against too much noise.

Most street preachers are fanatics and best if just ignored. Le the police deal with them.

I think it's fine. It's freedom of expression, and anyone who disagrees can engage them in public, informal debate. The only thing I dislike is when they're yelling via bullhorn.

I don't like it.
I don't think I would be very well received if I was standing on a street corner preaching the virtues of atheism, even though it's supposed to have the same freedoms that religions do.

I don't care as long as they don't stop me to tell me their BS.

These zealots (the Christian ones anyway) are following orders from the bible to evangelize and convert. (Matthew 28:19) It gives them juice...

That is case regarding how far do we go with freedom of speech. Its a way of pushing their so called beliefs onto another without permission. Just think if every person in this world started doing that on every street corner, how much chaos & anarchy we really would have. Religion and politics shouldn't be broadcasted for all to hear. Some actually don't give a shit. They are attention seeking whores, plain and simple.

Every single year on mardi gras day in New Orleans, the French Quarter is teeming with people just out having a good time, many in fantastic costumes, street performers, etc. just celebrating the day. Of course, also every single year there are guaranteed to be, not just street preachers, but fundamentalist evangelical protesters with huge obnoxious signs and megaphones blaring out their opinion that all the revelers are going to hell for their sins and need to repent. They have their predictable 8 ft tall list of which specific types of sinners are doomed to the flames for eternity. Hilariously, they themselves are always on that list (the arrogant, the judgmental, hypocrites, liars), and they don't even realize it. Of course gay and trans people, unwed mothers, Jews, Catholics, Muslims, etc. are all on the list, too. Nice, huh? I agree with their right to be there. The effect they have is actually to look like fools and attract derision. They are inevitably followed around by counter-protesters with signs and often in costume, mocking them creatively. It all becomes part of the carnival. I think honestly they get off on the attention (so much for that humility their scriptures tell them to have).

That's all part of free speech, and free speech is a very good thing.

BD66 Level 8 Nov 18, 2017

I don't think it's a good idea.
Actually, it's oppressive when i see people preaching their religion on the street.

Same way i feel about shitty pop music and giant billboards. Pollution.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:4125
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.