Agnostic.com

8 21

Putting it out there.

@mistymoon77 put this awesome meme up.
It really made me think, we always get churches in our face telling us, the media and the Governments how much good they do. I would love to put a poster like this on our community gardens but some of the gardeners are christian. So I thought, ok, I donate a lot of my own home grown produce to both the community garden and also the church run community pantry. I was thinking of a sign next to my donations saying something along the lines of, "Grown by an atheist to help you out." I am lousy with words, but you get my meaning. Also, once my shoulder is healed, I know it will take longer, not getting all the blessings and prayers, but once it is healed and I am setting up the pantry, a good atheist T shirt may be in order. I do have one given to me by my Joho asexual object of lusty desire which has the following message on it.

Rugglesby 8 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good for you. I loike the t shirt. I think you should market them.

I like it too, but someone already has, it was a commercial purchase someone gave to her as a joke as she is so religious, she gave it to me as the only atheist she knows.

Thank you @rugglesby by posting this. Puts a 🙂 on my face. This is a great idea of you doing a community garden and I would love to hear your feedback on it all. The more education we can put out there about who and what we are, the better we all will be. This helps knock down labeling and stereotyping that so many non theists get on a daily basis. We will unite and we will survive. 🙂

Nice idea.

Produced in the Garden of Hedon and donated out of love for humanity and not to influence an imaginary judgment.

JimG Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

wow, cool

Grown in the Garden of Heathen, Fresher Faith Produce, Seeds of Doubt Farms,

you guys are GOOD.

Awesome quotes!

May I just ask, I have not heard the terms you use before, perhaps because we don't use them in the UK.

What are a community garden and a community pantry?

BTW, "Grown by an atheist to help you out" is brilliant.

The Community Garden is one created by a group of people, usually open to the general public, ours is on council land rented by our neighbourhood association, it is as much a social event as anything. The community pantry, is basically food handouts to those in need. Produce and groceries are donated and also bought with funds raised, then some are given away, or sold to those in need at about 10% of the normal cost. Charity really.

@Rugglesby We have food banks. People need to be referred to them by "the authorities".

My friend Lisa has to go there. She made some meat stew and brought me some. I think I posted elsewhere that I never thought I would eat from a food bank.

Lisa and I have fallen out again for the 2000th time.

She'll be back.

@El-loco We have food banks also, not as available, people need to be in dire straits for them as the food is prepared (by volunteer chefs ) and stored frozen. We don't have the facilities or people to make these, but each week a refrigerated van arrived and we stock the freezer. We have a regional group of organizations such as ours. No government funding. for the past 3 years.

I think becoming atheist/agnostic was probably one of the most freeing things for me. When I do something kind I no longer feel that maybe there is an alternative reason, I'm just doing something for someone else. Friends tend to think atheist are just evil when in reality we are truly the most caring. I think of the cause and effect of my actions. I don't worry because of a higher power, but because I worry about the person. I have to say it's quite freeing.

similar feelings myself, I also had this this of not having to try and force myself to believe, when none of it made sense, I would try and reinterpret it to fit, which of course is stupid. Hard to change ones life long beliefs

The most ethical moral caring people I have ever met in my life are in fact non believers. One reason I love Atheists so much as they are more genuine and not trying to impress other delusional believers or a false god.

@Rugglesby

The way I dealt with my difficulty with Christianity was to take what I liked and chuck the rest and I called myself a non-practicing Christian for most of my life. I have evolved since then. 🙂

@misstuffy, it seems to me that Christianity inherently encourages or fosters duplicity. I've never known how to be anyone but myself, the concept of "being a Christian" is completely bewildering to me, as it connotes being another person than who I am in my mind.

@Condor5 To me it seems exactly that way. People out in the strip Saturday night and then in Church SUnday holier than thou and looking down their noses at those of us who don't attend Church and yet we are not in the strip clubs either. Hypocrisy at its most reverent.

Heres some words to go with your produce:

Atheists might be lacking a God, but our produce delicious regardless.

nice, thank you

@MrLizard Humanist doesn't mean the same thing. atheist only addresses the God claim, not politics..

@MrLizard I like the "tended by loving hand" I will use that thanks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41258
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.