Agnostic.com

32 5

Do you feel that religion robs people of living life to the fullest?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have to be honest with you. I think that it does rob some people of a fuller life. But with others, I think religion actually gives them opportunities to become better people. I think that there is good and bad in religion. Most of us see the bad because it is so large and in our faces. But truth be told, it does have it's good side. I know most here might critique me for this comment, but it is just my opinion.

Totally. Teaches people to care less about how much they suffer in this life, because they'll have an afterlife full of rainbows and what not. When you're not religious you have every reason to make this life as good as possible and you are more inclined to live it to the fullest.

Most religions promise an eternal hereafter. This, IMO, diminishes the value they place on the one and only life they really have. So that's a big yes from me.

no, they rob themselves

That’s an acceptable answer.

religion is a fairy tale so they must be.

@LeighShelton accurate!!!

id like the last one on a t-shirt

It takes away a good portion of their money and their leisure time.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

No it's a brain washed tool by Christianity

If you ALLOW yourself to be pulled into the bullshit and be brainwashed to the point that you NEVER question or doubt or have no desire to learn or to even explore anything else, and i've seen MANY in the shit THIS deep, then.....DUH !!!!!!

I think bills rob people of living life to the fullest. Religion seems to help some folks feel safe. Once you step back and scrutinize it it is pretty hard to embrace it again. That can be very freeing. But those pesky bills...

I totally agree. The nerve of these Williams shortening their name!

@CallMeDave Exactly!

Yes depending on the type of person they are yes as much as 100 percent

I think of Nuns and Priests that never get to experience many of lifes pleasures.

gater Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

I do. They are consumed with how they're going to live their next life.

I live amongst some of the most religious peopel I have ever known who drink like fish are the 4th in the Country charts for Obesity and seem if my Gossip Mill is in any way correct to have very many relationships on the side as well as abuse.
Apparently being with one man for 25years without resorting to other abandonments is not even noteworthy if youre not Protestant or Catholic

100% yes.

This might be a controversial thing to say,but I believe the religious live for death anyway. Upon their deaths they will be rewarded with everlasting life. So I don't think they care how miserable their Earthly life is.

funny here in N.I I heard someoen say "yyou only truly come into your own here -when you die!

without a doubt. When I finally broke the final tie to religion, I was able to lok at my life and all life so much more clearly. I let go of so many needs and accepted what is,

Absolutely. There are some things they are never going to experience. Their mindset won't allow it

Growing up Southern Baptist, when I reached dating age, I was toldno holding hands until engaged,absoluteky no dancing, no kissing until wedding day, whoa we're just going to a movie. Oh yeah, the movie had to be G rated & approved by parents. Sure wasn't living to the fullest to me.

for start, it prevents critical and rational thinking. For me the answer is yes

Oh yeah! Trying so hard to get into "the gates of heaven without a spot or wrinkle". Lol

YES

Not necessarily. Some people keep their spiritual beliefs for Sunday and go about the rest of the week secularily. Codes of behavior are drawn from Monday - Saturday more than Sunday. Anyone who shows up with a different code that doesn't comply can take a hike, even if they are wearing a cross.

Yes, i do feel religion stops people from living life to the fullest. People should able explore the world, there sexulity, etc. to the fullest of there being.

Their. (-:

In the sense that people are murdered by religious zealots and robbed of their lives altogether, certainly.

In the less extreme sense that fundamentalist religious beliefs prohibit entire areas of scientific research and thought, simply because they conflict with dogma, then again, yes. I have read quotes from former scientists (now "creation scientists" if there is such a thing) who turned their backs on real science because they couldn't resolve the conflict between evidence and religious mythology.

And when religion tells you who you can or can't marry, what you can or can't eat, even what you can or can't wear...

Is there any question?

In many cases yes, in a segregation way. Where my family grew up in South America, a person could not get a good job if they weren't a Christian. This included indentured servants who were working under contracts. To declare yourself as a different faith, or a non-believer is basically a contract to not getting good jobs, even if you had the education.

Marriage, dating, and being in certain guilds were obvious setbacks.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.