Agnostic.com

32 5

Do you feel that religion robs people of living life to the fullest?

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

32 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

no, they rob themselves

That’s an acceptable answer.

religion is a fairy tale so they must be.

@LeighShelton accurate!!!

id like the last one on a t-shirt

I think bills rob people of living life to the fullest. Religion seems to help some folks feel safe. Once you step back and scrutinize it it is pretty hard to embrace it again. That can be very freeing. But those pesky bills...

I totally agree. The nerve of these Williams shortening their name!

@CallMeDave Exactly!

Robs people of everything. I like the book 'The God virus' when it talks about religious effects.

Whoa! I’ll have to check that one out.

This might be a controversial thing to say,but I believe the religious live for death anyway. Upon their deaths they will be rewarded with everlasting life. So I don't think they care how miserable their Earthly life is.

funny here in N.I I heard someoen say "yyou only truly come into your own here -when you die!

Yes, i do feel religion stops people from living life to the fullest. People should able explore the world, there sexulity, etc. to the fullest of there being.

Their. (-:

It takes away a good portion of their money and their leisure time.

BD66 Level 8 Mar 22, 2018

I do. They are consumed with how they're going to live their next life.

Totally. Teaches people to care less about how much they suffer in this life, because they'll have an afterlife full of rainbows and what not. When you're not religious you have every reason to make this life as good as possible and you are more inclined to live it to the fullest.

I have to be honest with you. I think that it does rob some people of a fuller life. But with others, I think religion actually gives them opportunities to become better people. I think that there is good and bad in religion. Most of us see the bad because it is so large and in our faces. But truth be told, it does have it's good side. I know most here might critique me for this comment, but it is just my opinion.

I think of Nuns and Priests that never get to experience many of lifes pleasures.

gater Level 7 Mar 22, 2018

YES

It depemds largely on whether they see their religion provding "gloort" or "Ceiling: values. A p[erson who see his or her religion as providing floor values, see their religgion as provding a base from which to gor. Those who see their religion as providing ceiling values,see it as giving absolute limits -- the "thou shalt not" focus. Thsat view is stulifying.

Most religions promise an eternal hereafter. This, IMO, diminishes the value they place on the one and only life they really have. So that's a big yes from me.

Of course it does, most religious folks or believers fell that if not in this life, it will be better in the next. It almost makes the here and now irrelevant which means it's not important. So hoiw could you live life to the fullest if you believe it to be simply a me and to an end. Or rather a beginning?...

From my own experience, when people lose the ability to have an open mind, it greatly hinders their life and the lives of those around them. If religion didn't exist, the same "rules" about being a good person would still exist. Otherwise, humanity would fail.

Yes, it limits you in many ways.

Hell yes!!!

Yes depending on the type of person they are yes as much as 100 percent

Oh yeah! Trying so hard to get into "the gates of heaven without a spot or wrinkle". Lol

for start, it prevents critical and rational thinking. For me the answer is yes

I think that “life” robs people from living to the fullest. Disease, poverty, natural disaster, incidentals, lack of access, loss of loved ones, aging and the toll it takes on the body... Life is rough for most of us. I think religion is an attempt to find relief (or at least a reason) for suffering. It’s devastating to humanity, but all it does is magnify problems that already exist in human nature.

Growing up Southern Baptist, when I reached dating age, I was toldno holding hands until engaged,absoluteky no dancing, no kissing until wedding day, whoa we're just going to a movie. Oh yeah, the movie had to be G rated & approved by parents. Sure wasn't living to the fullest to me.

In many cases yes, in a segregation way. Where my family grew up in South America, a person could not get a good job if they weren't a Christian. This included indentured servants who were working under contracts. To declare yourself as a different faith, or a non-believer is basically a contract to not getting good jobs, even if you had the education.

Marriage, dating, and being in certain guilds were obvious setbacks.

Absolutely. There are some things they are never going to experience. Their mindset won't allow it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41284
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.