Agnostic.com

18 6

Mansplaining

And incorrect.

Dave, who loves extremely hot, spicy food:

"You need to eat extremely hot, spicy food to burn off your taste buds. Then you can eat hot peppers."

"Why would I deliberately injure myself?" I replied. "Some people like you are born with a high tolerance for capsaicin. Others like me are not. I have never been able to eat hot, spicy food."

Don: "For warmth you might need to eat more fat....pork is good for generating body heat ....also butter."

Nonsense. I asked a medical doctor I dated, Bill, how to dress for exercise in cold weather with heavy sweating. Bill was right:

"Small exothermic ectomorphs such as yourself (has anybody ever said something this sexy to you before LOL) and to a much lesser degree me, just do poorly in this weather.

"To stay warm is not rocket science, but to stay warm without becoming a soaking wet mess which then freezes is the tricky part."

"On the bicycle, what I will do is when I am climbing, I will keep most of my layers in my backpack. I may feel cold for the first few minutes, but soon I am working hard and warm enough. When I get to the top of the climb, I will stand there and try to evaporate, and then put on layers for the descent. I know with hiking, you burn nearly as many calories going down as you do going up, but this technique may still help you some."

I learned to change into dry clothes at the top. Putting a jacket over a wet shirt does not work. If I don't remove wet clothes, I get hypothermia.

Your thoughts?

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I do my best not to man-splain. There is such a thing as woman-splaining but it's far less prevalent and more specialized.

I think it is because women are socialized differently, to this day, and a confident man who knows what he is talking about is viewed more favourably than a similar woman. One can be admired, the other can be labelled as a know-it-all or arrogant or worse. Humans are silly

Dr Bill nailed it with “To stay warm is not rocket science, but to stay warm without becoming a soaking wet mess which then freezes is the tricky part." You figured out what you need to do 👍

CS60 Level 7 Oct 17, 2019

Let's not conflate egoism/egotism with mansplaining. They'll say the same shit to their male friends, believe me.

"Exerthermic" means heat-producing.

ex·o·ther·mic
/ˌeksōˈTHərmik/
Learn to pronounce
adjectiveCHEMISTRY
(of a reaction or process) accompanied by the release of heat.
(of a compound) formed from its constituent elements with a net release of heat.

The Navy SEALs utilize this trick. They multiple layers of insulated gear, with the innermost layer being designed to wick sweat away from the body. When they stop to rest, instead of taking layers off, they put another absorbent layer over top of this layer to wick the moisture from the innermost layer, keeping them dry. The outermost layer is basically just plastic, and it's only purpose is to keep water out of the insulation layer.

@Happy_Killbot

I always wear wicking, breathable fabric. The problem is when the fabric gets soaked with sweat, it cannot evaporate.

Then I get deeply chilled with a wet shirt against my skin. Even a wet bra is chilling. That's why I have to ditch the bra and change into dry shirts.

I like spicy food, and I seem to have a ridiculously high tolerance for for Scoville units, but what I find tasty is far less than what I can tolerate, but higher than average as far as I can tell. I find that a moderately spicy dish enhances flavors for me.

I think it's good advice for everyone to dress in layers four child weather and pack extra layers. Depending on material wet clothes, particularly wool, can still provide insulation, but it's always better too have dry clothes too change into.

Along the same lines the material of your clothing is important in cold weather. A common cold-weather survival is; "Cotton kills." Wool and silk are great as far natural materials go, but the newer synthetic materials are so much better. I still like wool socks, but in extreme cold they go inside thinsulate boots.

JimG Level 8 Oct 16, 2019

@JimG

I'm allergic to wool and lanolin. I envy people who can wear wool. It stays warm even when wet.

@LiterateHiker It's definitely beneficial. My wet microfleece is doing well now.

Like there is no such thing as femalesplaining. Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Spicy food has no correlation with anything beyond personal taste.

spicy food actually does correlate to body temperature, but the mansplainer has it backwards. people who live in hot climates have cultures that embrace spicy foods because spicy foods promote sweating, which is how we cool our bodies down. you don't eat hot, spicy food for warmth. you eat it for coolth! dave is misinformed (i am being kind; i was going to call him an idiot.) now, i am sure there are indians, mexicans and thais, to name three, who for some reason don't like spicy food despite the cultural inclination and the cooling benefits. personal taste is definitely involved. but it's not by any means JUST personal taste.

g

@genessa
I stand corrected then. I can't eat even mildly spicy food.

@bigpawbullets i am guessing the odds are against your being a native of a hot climate. i am not either but for some reason i adore spicy food. go figure! but then maybe there is an explanation: i have a high personal thermostat and get hot more easily than i get cold (and more easily than those around me), so maybe my love of spicy food is related to that.

g

@bigpawbullets Same here... it is so bad pepper can be overdoing it! XD But I will still eat mild salsa cuz the veggies in it are delicious XD

I was a long time backpacker, but never a winter one. I don't like cold or snow, but have lived in places that had it. I have backpacked during the summer in some places, like Yellowstone, where the morning temp was below freezing, but daytime was in the 70's. Layering definitely needed for a long day hike.

Clearly you needed a big strong man explain those things because your silly little girlie brain can’t figure that shit out on its own.

@Marcie1974

Very funny! It took me a long time to accept that I must strip off wet clothes and change into dry ones. I had hypothermia three times.

It's excruciating to expose shivering, wet skin to icy winds, snow and freezing temperatures. The thought is worse than doing it. First, I lay out dry clothes in the order I'll put it on. Then move fast.

Trouble is, by the time I finish changing, my hiking partners are halfway done with lunch. I gobble food, hoping my tea cools enough to drink.

That sounds reasonable. I try to do layers when I’m going to exercise in cold weather. And taking time to evaporate at the top makes good sense.

I don’t think I would actually call that mansplaining in my understanding of the word. Isn’t mansplaining when a man explains something in excruciating detail to a woman as though she were a retarded child, when she understands it perfectly already, and perhaps even grasps it better? What these two guys..Dave and Don are doing are spouting nonsense dressed up as advice,

@Marionville

Perfect. You are right.

"Spouting nonsense dressed up as advice" is funny and spot-on.

@LiterateHiker Funny guys..annoying guys more like! 😁

@Marionville

Your comment was funny. Don and Dave's advice were bullshit.

I am a Caribbean Islander... know little of how to survive in cold weather. But I do My Best and Survive the Frozen because it is My Nature to Live and Survive to Sweat Another Day under a Scorching Sun. Looking forward to the change of Skin Tone in my Flesh once I move back to Puerto Rico.

Personally I think what you have done with all your personal experinces and trials and errors you know exactly what works best for you

how is this mansplaining? it sounds like a pretty typical human interaction (like another poster said, people always think what works for them, might work for you). I thought the cultural idiom about mansplaining included interrupting, unsolicited advice, and minimizing of the female ability to have her own thoughts/opinions/in depth under standing, because men get implied superiority in their knowledge. Not seeing it here, especially since you are agreeing with the guy and posting his assessment as your own. I don't know if there is a term for manshaming, or if its just butt hurt, but it sounds like youre just looking for excuses to whine about your last "relationship".

I think the first two she classified as mansplaining and the doctor, obviously a medical professional, is not a mansplainer. I could be wrong though. 😳

@demifeministgal shes edited the original post several times, so i can't go back to what exactly i replied to, but my comment was aimed at her final line about "your thoughts?"

@demifeministgal btw if you don't think Drs of either sex can't be mansplainers (or just obnoxious know it all blowhards, no matter how much they actually know) you haven't met many Drs.

@demifeministgal

You are right. Bill, MD, gave me great advice. He was not mansplaining.

@MarkiusMahamius definitely not know it alls, but way more knowledgeable about healthcare and treatments than you will ever be as a mere plebian... but I do not know doctors outside of medical practice... people my age bracket would not be doctors YET, but studying for it still. Also, a woman cannot be a mansplainer as it is a gendered term/concept, but can be obnoxious know-it-alls.

My thoughts are fck the cold... I need to escape it as fast as possible and only endure it to get from point A to B and that excercising in winter, particularily the frigid, bloody WINDY winters here, seems like cruel punishment. ;p 😮

Damn girl, you need to tighten up your screening proccess 😉

People will always, always tell you what works for them with the assumption it'll work for you. Sometimes it even does. Usually it's just bragging, sometimes humble bragging, but bragging nonetheless.

Being nightshade intolerant I like telling people who think eating spicy food does all kinds of miraculous things for you to go fuck themselves. It's one of the small pleasures in my life.

1of5 Level 8 Oct 16, 2019

my recommendation would be to avoid those situations all together. indoors fire popcorn hot chocolate........

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:414793
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.