Agnostic.com

120 39

Are You Lonely?

Being single can make me feel lonely, especially during holidays weekends. On July 4 and Memorial Day, I smell tantalizing barbecue grilling in neighbors' backyards. But I feel embarrassed to invite myself over to a friend’s family event.

All of my women friends are married. I have great female hiking partners (all married). We hike together one or two days per week. On weekends they are busy with their husbands.

The gym used to be a social place. But now everyone except me wears headphones. Headphones are a giant “Buzz Off- Leave Me Alone” sign. No more fun conversations with other athletes.

Meet Up disbanded in Wenatchee due to lack of participation. I didn’t go because their activities were too sedentary: playing Bingo and Bunco, pizza with wine/beer, and watching local (boring) baseball and hockey games. The Wenatchee Hiking Meetup doesn’t allow anyone above the age of 35. I could hike circles around those young whippersnappers!

As a Democrat, it helps to join marches and demonstrations. It’s wonderful to be surrounded by like-minded people. But that’s just one day. Volunteering as a college mentor helps me connect with people. The students I mentor win scholarships and go to college. That’s the point.

It’s lonely being a Democrat and atheist in a rural, Republican-dominated, largely married, church-going town. I grew up in Michigan in a family of highly intelligent musicians and artists. At age 21, I moved to Washington State to climb mountains, and stayed.

With a 146 IQ, I have felt different from other people, like I don’t fit in. Sometime I think I don’t belong on this planet.

"My intensity is too much for some people," my daughter Claire, 28, said. Ditto. But we both enjoy our intensity, heightened senses, high energy, intelligence, searching minds, sensuality and humor. This makes us who we are, and immeasurably enriches our lives.

As an extrovert, I love conversation and connecting with people. But I need alone time for reading, meditation, running and weightlifting. Although I enjoy being alone, I miss having a loving relationship.

I miss physical intimacy with a man. I don't mean just sex. I miss cuddling, foreplay, tender touch, romance, laughter and conversations. Without that, casual sex makes me feel sad.

According to psychologists, there are six types of loneliness:

1. Interpersonal loneliness: This is the result of lacking or losing a significant, or intimate, relationship.

2. Social loneliness: This is where a person is on the fringes of a group, excluded from a group, or is actively rejected.

3. Cultural loneliness: This is where a person belongs to a different culture and feels that they don’t fit, or belong, in the new culture.

4. Intellectual loneliness: This is where a person feels intellectually, or educationally, out of synch with their peers, their family or their social group.

5. Psychological loneliness: This is where a person has experienced a trauma that separates them out from others around them. That is, it’s something other people can’t fully understand.

6. Existential or cosmic loneliness: This is an isolating loneliness experienced by a person who is facing death.

For me, 1, 2 and 4 would apply, especially #4.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

120 comments (51 - 75)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I enjoy my solitude for the most part but at times I feel like it would be nice to have some folks around.. I'm not particularly close to my family and between my time in the military and my new job Ive kinda fallen out of the loop with my friends back home.. On top of all that I recently moved to New Mexico and I don't really know anyone and its difficult to get into the community. ..

Don't get me wrong.. I'm fine by my lonesome and all that but at times some social interaction would be lovely.

Josh, Google Meetup groups near where you live. It's a great way to have fun with other singles in your town.

Volunteering is another way to make friends.

Also, you can ask your local library for book clubs that are open to new members.

Good luck. Kathleen

@LiterateHiker Thanks Kathleen.. I appreciate the ideas..Sadly possibilities are made worse by the area that I'm in.

@LiterateHiker WOW! I just goggled local Meet Ups here....WOW! There are lots of them. Thank you for that bit of advice!

Gee, very touching. Never new there are so many categories of loneliness since I know only one category: mine...... I do miss the very same things you so vividly described. I don't know what my IQ is ( not interested to know either), all I know is that I made it all the way to a master's degree as a pleasant and best experience. PhD didn't happen only because life happens. I've seen my better days, daughters grown up and out of the house (as it should be since always taught them to be independent). All in all, its all good and yet loneliness is a big part of my life. Last time I check, I am not dead yet !!!.... If any of that resonates with you then please send me a note, would you? Cheers !!

IamNobody, Thank you for your thoughtful message. I found what you wrote poignant.

Your username does not do do you justice. You are a unique, kind and intelligent individual with a great sense of humor.

Kathleen

Well, you nailed it so hats off to you with standing ovation... That's exactly the purpose of my name, to remove the specifics off and let everyone decide if they like me for what I think and feel, as opposed to who I might be. Thank a lot for your note, you just made my day !!! Cheers and now a little bit more alive and happy !!!

I too have a high IQ and with that I see things differently . the loneliness is a special one . I see people, such as trump supporters and wonder if that ignorance is indeed bliss. Not knowing the truth and not wanting to read about truth and then being able to function peacefully within your self has got to be a nice thing. As for me, I am cursed with intellect and must seek out the truth at all times. Sometimes it is lonely but so rewarding.

EMC2 Level 8 Mar 31, 2018

alone but not lonely...I spend a lot of time alone on purpose.

I have many reasons for feeling alone. But I don't.

I used to, before I acknowledged my male side in 2014, named him, and allowed him to "exist." I felt alone and lost all my life, although I was raised in a loving family, surrounded by siblings and friends. I also felt that way when married, with two children. But after I allowed myself to love my male side and accepted it, the loneliness was eased.

I do have many reasons for feeling alone, however:

1.high IQ. I don't think like most people I know.

2.I'm multicultural/multilingual. I grew up in Haiti with American parents and a French/African culture with European friends, and friends from the Domican Republic, across the border from Haiti. So I grew up speaking French, Creole, Spanish, and English.

3.I'm part Native American, and share many of their attitudes and beliefs, almost instinctlively. As a "two spirit," I would have been trained as a shaman in my Cherokee tribe.

4.I'm demisexual, panromantic, androgynous, nonbinary, and partially transmale. That means that I don't strongly identify with either gender, but see myself more as a blend. Also, I'm not sexually attracted to anyone of any gender, until after over a year together.

5.I'm over 65 years old.

6.I have strong psychic powers. I have to block myself from the thoughts and feelings of others but there is always some "leakage."
That's why I like being in Thailand..all those peaceful feelings of being one with the universe sooth me.

All 6 apply in far too many ways. This site does help w/ #4 & #2 to a certain extent, but it is still, by its nature, impersonal. Some of it is my fault, I isolate, outcome of chronic pain & chronic depression. But the emptiness seems blacker & deeper all the time & can be nigh near suffocating. I've lived with the depression since I can remember, & the pain for over a decade. I am the major caregiver for my 88 yo Mother, so that keeps me anchored, but that is one of the only things. I enjoy learning, experiencing & satisfying my curiosity, but that seldom balances the blackness. When my Mom goes, that may be the last anchor. Time will tell.

Look how many responses to your post! Indeed, no one is alone in being lonely! So have you all managed to sustain the social interaction of dialogue at least online? And can anyone join in? But I must confess frustration as I only see here a great deal of "sharing," Much said and little done or even strategized. I For years I remain desperate even to seriously discuss my own proposed remedy at [FoolQuest.com]

@AaronAgassi

How many replies to this post? The last time I checked, it was 100.

I find that traveling can give me a different perspective, help me meet people, and give me confidence to build new relationships in my own city. If you can't move to another place where you'll have more in common with other people, maybe you can go on a trip to a beautiful challenging hike with a group of people you've never met and set the refresh button.

Not really. I've been single for YEARS now, and I can't even imagine dating again at this point. Too much outside my comfort zone.

It was exactly like that when I was young..... Do not let years passing by take you by surprise.

@IamNobody Eh. I'm good. I know what I want and what my priorities are.

@Wenepai So was I when I was your age and if someone would've told me this, I wouldn't have listened either.

@IamNobody Okay? And we're different people.

@Wenepai We all are different...and yet the same

@IamNobody And yet different. Not every responds to situations the same way, and that's just the way it is.

Good luck with everything.

@Wenepai Thx, good luck to you too.

Loneliness kills! I'm literally trying to save my life, here.

I'm damn lonely! During the early autumn things become worse, as this is when I lost my love to her brain tumour back in 2015.
She knew I hate being alone, and tried to get me to take a lover before she died. She wanted to check them over to make sure they'd be good for me! Doing that isn't part of who I am.
I keep myself busy with a college degree course and working far too many hours. Now at least, I can get to talk people who when hearing my life story don't offer their prayers. June, my late wife, was also a questioner of religion.

I am alone but not lonely. I have opted out of the social game. As an introvert by nature and nurture, it just doesn't do much for me.
Forums like these is almost too much social interaction.

1,2,5, & 6. I got over 2 by not caring anymore. Since we are all facing death, 6 is a tough one.

Carin Level 8 Sep 13, 2018

I have experienced 1, 3, and 5, but do not feel lonely. An emotionally healthy person learns to adapt and cope instead of feeling powerless and alone. At age 81, I am not far from death, but have never felt cosmic loneliness. It is a natural fact that all lives end.

Just over the hill from you and experience loniness often enough. The winters here can be brutal as the weather makes it even more difficult to get out.

Wonderful post. It is challenging to be smart. No easy answers. I admire you for not lowering your standards.

A thought: Join a CrossFit box. No headphones.

@Mitch07102

At Anytime Fitness, I lift weights, using the rowing machine and stair-stepping machines. Have been weightlifting regularly since age 24.

Cross-fit is a fad that doesn't interest me. I go to the gym for exercise, not socialization.

1 through 5 to an extent or more. But am an introvert. Always relieved to come home, my happy space. I go through periods of trying to be more social, but often feel like I wasted my time. Self imposed loneliness. Usually feel more intelligent, but is that a rationalization. Delusion. Lmao.

All but 6.

Literate Hiker, I empathize. Since my divorce I have been teaching in remote communities. Four years I taught in a small rural town in southern Colorado. The people were nice, but all were deeply involved with their church activities and/or their families. There was no one my age or like-minded to hang with.

Two years ago I took a job teaching Science on the Navajo Reservation. I live in the housing compound associated with the school. That unfortunately is no help. 60% of the houses are unoccupied. Those that are occupied belong to primarily Native families which pretty much keep to themselves. They come home, go inside and do not go outside until time for work the next morning. I'm only 12 miles from town, but can't afford time or time or finances to go in every day.

Except for the decade I was married, I've generally done things on my own. But there are times when the lack of compsnionship or someone to talk to does weigh upon a bofy. Espescially like you, I am highly intelligent and love a good conversation.

Hang in there.

t1nick Level 8 June 25, 2018

4 & 5

jacpod Level 8 June 20, 2018

Mostly 2 and 6 for me. I've always felt like an outsider and like I'm on the periphery of a social group, even among my close friends. Hell, most of my primary group of friends only met each other because of me, most of our social activities take place at my house, and I still feel like I exist only on the fringes

Are there any Mensa groups nearby? Art classes? Museums needing volunteers? Ask if you can mentor younger people.

Last week, I won the Scholarship Rockstar Award from the Wenatchee High School College Mentor Program.

Have been a volunteer college mentor since 2006. Check out my post:

I'm a rock star!

When I tied regular dating sites - id meet a nice girl (this happened at least about a dozen times) and everything was going well a few of them had fallen hard for me very soon and we were soo happy - but the subject of religion had never come up? When it finally did and I told them I don't believe in god? they dumped me like I had the plague - the hypocrites? They don't even follow their own religious rules? but the fact that I don't believe in god? was a reason to end a potentially really great relationship = its such a stupid reason to not want to date someone that might be a awesome partner or maybe even ur soulmate - ready to give up

I am 65, live alone (since 1998) with my cat, dog, mustang horse and donkey, am permanently single by choice, and I have learned to truly enjoy my separateness from others. There are times, however, when I do hunger for intellectual stimulation/interaction and a gay community since I live a fairly reclusive life in the country, in Texas, where it is very republiCon, and very bible belt. Fortunately, there are places like this website where one may interact for some intellectual play.

I've got 1, 5 in spades, and being a 20+ year southern state expat a touch of 3.
I stumbled into a community that gives me just enough purpose and emotional satisfaction that I'm mostly ok with my solitude, for now anyway. Attempting to slowly rebuild my life after the shock of 5.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41530
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.