Agnostic.com

11 12

Fixing and preventing broken zipper pulls

Not again! Last night another Columbia fleece jacket zipper pull broke off in the dryer. I wash this jacket after hiking when it gets wet with sweat.

I have repaired zippers in two jackets. Each time, it requires buying a $25 packet of assorted zipper sliders with attached pulls at Joann's Fabrics. To my disgust, there is only one zipper slider that fits women's jackets.

Now I have to buy a third $25 packet of zipper sliders to get one that fits. Good thing I have a 75%-off coupon from Joann's Fabrics.

Today I looked up "zippers break in dryer." One reason is manufacturers use low-quality zippers. Also the zipper pull gets stuck in dryer holes and crevices, yanking it off.

To help prevent breaking, pin the zipper pull to the jacket before putting it in the dryer.

Last year, I replaced the zipper slider and pull on my lightweight, 25-year-old down jacket. Love that jacket! Can't buy one like it anymore.

Columbia fleece jackets have a plastic zipper stop that is heated to seal it. Unlike metal stops, it's impossible to remove. So, I cut it off. Will adjust the top of the zipper when resewing the stitches I removed.

Done. I repaired the zipper on my blue fleece jacket. It looks great and works perfectly.

How to Replace a Zipper Slider and Pull

[gearaid.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I'm all for repairing zippers too. I have a 20+ year old Patagonia though that has a great zipper. My newer jackets and pants (Columbia, North Face and so on) usually have problems after a couple of years like you said.

I recently inherited a sewing machine from my aunt. Even though it's from the 60's it's functional. Could do the trick in replacing the entire zipper assembly. Most likely I'll sew my own hand to a pant leg though.

Maybe it’s the brand. I have several fleece jackets that have lasted for years of drying. I wonder whether it would help to wash them zipped and inside out?
That said, fleece sucks for the environment. The synthetic fiber pills and gets into the wastewater treatment system.

UUNJ Level 8 Oct 18, 2019

Funny, you should mention this. I have lost zipper pulls and find a paper clip works great (not very fashionable, though). I have an old reversible jacket in which the pull and the slider loop is gone. I have to use my fingers to zip it up and then use my thumbnail to keep the lock open to unzip. It's a pain but I've gotten pretty good with it.

@JackPedigo

Can't use a safety pin because the slider hoop that hold the zipper pull broke open. Cannot attach anything to the slider.

@LiterateHiker That's the same with my jacket. I have gotten quite adept using a finger and thumbnail. The only problem (which would also be there with a fully intact zipper) is that the pull sometimes gets caught in the zippers cloth lip.

I think , it would be cheaper to simply replace the entire zipper , with a metal one . It would also make sense not to buy the Columbian jackets , again . If it's just the pull and not the slider , you may want to consider replacing that with a safety pin . Another possibility , would be to simply reverse the jacket in it's entirety , before you put it in your washer , so that the pull doesn't get caught by the holes in the tub of the dryer .

@Cast1es

It feels good to repair something instead of throwing it in the landfill. Today I got 75% off at Joann's Fabrics.

Do you sew? Industrial sewing machines are needed for thick fleece. Sewing through four layers, I pulled hard to get it through my sewing machine. This stretches the fabric; it doesn't lay right.

Thread sinks down into the fleece. Impossible to see. The thread matches the fabric perfectly. Today I tried removing topstitching that went awry. With a seam ripper, I dug out 1/4" before giving up.

My idea of HELL is to sew a pants zipper into black, deep plush fabric with black thread. Impossible to see the thread. Rip it out... sew the zipper back in...rip it out....into infinity.

@Cast1es

Can't use a safety pin because the hoop in the slider that holds the pull broke open. Cannot attach anything to the slider.

look on ebay - lots of replacement zippers for sale at £1 a set in UK ... must be some in USA

"Thrifty" Linda goes to the Goodwill store on Sundays... <apparently a one dollar or 99 cents day> and buys jackets with multiple zippers that usually, have never been worn. She then "guts/fillets" them for zippers, velcro fasteners, quick detachable clasps, etc. 99 cents! And a few minutes of time.

I have replaced broken/missing pulls with 24 ga solid core coated wire. Not pretty but functional.

Amazon shows a variety of pulls.

[amazon.com]

@moosepucky

The zipper slider loop broke open. Cannot attach anything to it.

@moosepucky

Thanks for the Amazon.com link. I appreciate it.

Maybe not wash them every time?

@Mitch07102

Since my fleece jacket gets wet from sweat, I put it in the dryer.

@LiterateHiker Does it not get dry enough just hung up for a night or two?

@Mitch07102

No, the fleece jacket is too thick to air dry, especially in the house.

Using the dryer, I dry the outside of the jacket, turn it inside out, and dry the inside for another 50 minutes.

Sweet pics 🤗. Bummer about the zippers but thanks for the tip

@RoyMillar

Thank you for your compliment.

have you looked online for the exact item you need?

@MarkiuMahamius

Before buying, I need to know if there's a slider the exact size.

Wow

bobwjr Level 10 Oct 18, 2019
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:415566
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.