Agnostic.com

23 2

Farm animals?

Does anybody raise any animals?
What types of animals have you raised?

ThomasParker 4 Mar 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

23 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No. I have had pets but didn't breed them. I did love my time working at a farm. They had horses, cattle,buffalo, a waterbuffalo, yaks, alpaca, sheep, goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, turkeys.

Dogs cats goats cattle horses ducks roos chickens geese fish turtles lots of wildlife

I've raised horses, dogs, cats, chickens, ducks, rats and mice, guinea pigs.

If you mean "race," I used to race my horses in Haiti and always won. My mare was an Akhal Teke racehorse throw back which could cruise at 30 mph alongside cars.

Talk to text got me and I didn't proofread
Raising

Seemed my childhood was spent as caregiver to the multitude of pets my mother and siblings collected.. In adulthood, a couple of dogs and two daughters were plenty 😉 I’d rather allow nature to provide for wildlife, thus find myself doing what’s politically/ humanly possible to sustain their habitat.

Varn Level 8 Mar 23, 2018

chickens

skado Level 9 Mar 23, 2018

I race turtles and have failed to lose to one yet. As l have gotten older l realize it could happen one of these days. In the 80's l raised chia-pet's, but l got bored with it in a pretty short time.

HAHAHAHA I remember Chia Pets!

I was a pony girl on several race tracks when I was younger. Now I raise Boer goats. They are a meat breed. I also owned several TB race horses and foaled them out for others on my farm, used to breed horses then the bottom fell out of the market. Still maintain a few.

Pigs, chickens, cows, rabbits, bees, and maintained a horse that we could use to pull the harrow when the tractor was in one of its frequent downtimes.

Do you still raise bees? Is raise the right word for bees?

@BlueWave -- No, but I make sure our property provides for them as much as possible and we have bee hydration stations scattered here and there. My wife has a deathly fear of all insects and bees, wasps, and scorpions are high on her list of 'must avoid at all cost', so it is something of a constant struggle to keep my little friends happy.

I'm considering suicide by setting up a couple of hives. Maybe I can disguise them so she won't notice.

About 'raise' being the right word for bees, I suppose that it really isn't. The proper word is beekeeping. They raise themselves and about all we do is provide them a safe and convenient place to do that.

Dogs cats chickens ducks geese goats horses.

I used to raise tropical fish to sell to the pet store when I was a kid. I had bunch of tanks with piston pumps in my bedroom. It sounded like a factory .

No, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I'd be happy to raise a puppy to adulthood, but anything more extensive than that and I think it's best left to the professionals/experts.

I have raised dogs, cats, fish, Turtles, ducks, geese, turkeys, chickens, goats, sheep, mice, guinea pigs, guinea hens, ferrets, rats, mice, and a chameleon.
And that's all the different animals I can currently remember racing.

When I had my acreage I had chichens and peacocks. I had a wonderful cat but he passed away at 16 and I just can't bring myself to get another.

As homage to your beloved, save another that needs a home (or bad things happen to them too often).

@Countrywoman I did!!!!! via the feral cat neuter program.

I love animals. Currently I do not have any. It would not be fair to the animal. I have never had a desire to race them.

Always wanted to live on farm-my Dad grew up on one. Love horses,dogs,cats.

I have chickens and ducks in the coop. Rabbits in a hutch out side. Cats and ferrets in the house. Dogs guard the back of the house.

ok lets see, dogs, cats, mice, rats, squirrels, bats, ducks, chickens, geese, emus, llamas, alpacas,phesants, crows, ravens, cockatiels, lovebirds, parakeets, rabbits, guinie pigs, swans, 3 weasels, a sharp shinned hawk, a coyote, an owl, 2 elk, a deer, a racoon, and some opossums...if i think of anymore ill try 2 add em. side note, not all at once! lol

Byrd Level 7 Apr 4, 2018

I forgot the many trout

Cattle lots of cattle in FL and Mo

When I grew up my parensts insisted we raise chickens for fresh eggs, even though we were nto zoned for it. I hated them. Birds in general are disgusting dirty creatures taht generally foul their own nests.

Purina has a facility where they have hundreds of cats in cages and they test to see if the cats like their cat food and does the food keep them healthy. A Russian trade delegation was given a tour of the facility. A Russian asked...."What do you make with the pelts?" The Russians thought Purina was raising cats for their fur.

Excellent!
Purina is owned by Nestle` if anyone cares.

Horses, ducks, chickens, and pigs

Race animals? As in greyhounds?

No sorry talk and text got me raise

Raise as in a hot air balloon & releasing it aloft? Just kidding.
I raised guinea pigs & not just for eating. ;o}
I have added chickens for the eggs & enjoyment they bring with their remarkable personalities.
If you raise the chick from its 1st 3 days post hatch, they will be life long friends, as they bond so hard. I made diapers out of plastic bags so they could be indoors occationally without the challenge of their toilet issues. Such good friends they followed me everywhere. Until the resident Cooper's Hawk took them. Powder & Gendoline. White & brown Polish. Bred by the Polish as pets. At least they went to a good cause. I now protect my flock better than previously. Live & learn. I also bred finches for awhile. Aqurium fish. Madagascar cockroaches. The kind they use in horror movies. Had 'em in a sealed aquarium until my cats had a party with them. Had it set up with tiny panorama so it looked like a sci fi horror movie."Journey to the Center of the Earth."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:41743
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.